• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 72: the saga of iCheat, her betrothed, and the Apple Genius (start at 62)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that surprised me over the last week:

Both Democrats who are disenchanted with their party and Republicans who are disenchanted with their party are almost always looking for what the Libertarian party is full of: fiscal conservatives who want the government to stay out of social issues.

I think if people were honest with themselves, we would have 3 strong parties in this country. Unfortunately, so few people are brave enough to depart from their safety net.

Libertarians get dismissed because some of their big positions don't seem feasible or pragmatic, like eliminating the IRS. I'm not arguing for or against the outcome, per se, it's the implementation that doesn't seem feasible to me.

DEZ WELLS

The NCAA isn't completely retarded 100% of the time!

I totally understand what you're saying. Every party has its nutjobs. Libertarians exist on a spectrum similar to how Republicans and Democrats exist on a spectrum.

I don't think that any sane person thinks we could shitcan the IRS overnight.

Totally agree with you, but how then, do you justify the party running Gary Johnson?

Until someone with enormous wealth and influence can broker some people away from the red/blue machines, independents are going to continue to remain largely disenfranchised.

Totally agree with you, but how then, do you justify the party running Gary Johnson?

Until someone with enormous wealth and influence can broker some people away from the red/blue machines, independents are going to continue to remain largely disenfranchised.

I think putting the machine behind getting a Governor somewhere like New Hampshire, Iowa, or Colorado is the way to go. Trying to compete in the general as a third party is a losing proposition right now.

I can't justify the party running Gary Johnson, other than Ron Paul was such a contender so deep into the "real" race.

I'm no slouch when it comes to politics - and I didn't even know Gary Johnson was running until after Ron Paul dropped out.

Were he not looking out for Rand's career, would Ron Paul have accepted the L nomination?

Something that surprised me over the last week:

Both Democrats who are disenchanted with their party and Republicans who are disenchanted with their party are almost always looking for what the Libertarian party is full of: fiscal conservatives who want the government to stay out of social issues.

I think if people were honest with themselves, we would have 3 strong parties in this country. Unfortunately, so few people are brave enough to depart from their safety net.

I totally agree. But I think the disillusioned voters are now ripe to make that move to a third party and if we start working on this change now, perhaps Election 2016 will be very different, in a positive way.

I have to think so. Truly, one of the greatest missed opportunities of our time. The Libertarian vote there could have been 10-20% of the popular vote. Romney would have still lost, but at least it would have legitimized the party.

20% seems pretty high. I think he could have challenged a couple states. Colorado or Washington would have been in play.

So sonny bonos wife was running for the house in CA while her husband was running for the senate in fl?

east coast was not the best coast last night; i had to stay up until 2 to watch obama's acceptance; that could have been a 10:30-11:00 event on the left side of things.

in other news, we are trying to get Christmas cabin stuff set up w/ some friends of ours right now, and the cabin is going to end up being like, $400 for 3 nights (per couple). as much as i enjoyed the experience last year, i'd just as soon us spend the night in our own house, leave the dog at home during the day, and ski during the day and do Christmas that way, rather than lug everything up the mountain and spend the $$. I know the girl of the other couple is hell-bent on doing the cabin again (different from last year, where we snowshoed in- this is just a cabin off the main road that'd we'd drive into) and will be extremely sad if we don't do it. i'm trying really hard to get excited, but I'm just not that pumped to spend $400 on something I don't REALLY want to do again.
gah, #oregonproblem

east coast was not the best coast last night; i had to stay up until 2 to watch obama's acceptance; that could have been a 10:30-11:00 event on the left side of things.

You realize the reason shit comes on late like this is because the West Coast has screwed up time, and can't follow along with BEST, right? What time did those polls close that were in the Eastern Time Zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back