• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread-A-Pallooza: I got two chats, one for the plug and one for the load

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got sent the kissing/smooch emoticon on our Skype, so there's that

davidpumpkins.gif

ugh. It's that time of year when ever coworker has catalogues at their desk of stuff they want me to order for their kid's fundraisers. WHY DO I WANT TO SPEND $20 ON POPCORN JANET!??

Seriously so far there is:

Boy Scout Popcorn
Moravian Sugar Cookies
Some kind of braided breads (Butter Braid maybe?)
Wrapping Paper
Monogrammed stuff....
Assorted nuts and candies
And like 3 more people selling wrapping paper.

...although the Trails' End butter lite microwave popcorn is pretty much the best microwave popcorn.

I think there's value in traveling with kids, and I don't think 06Deacon is NOT going to travel with his... I believe he's referring to the 'baller trips' or whatever that SHD and Biff were talking about; undoubtedly fancy euro vacations which would be exceptionally expensive for 4 people, plus the experience would likely be lost on a younger kid.
I would rather take a 10yr old to Yellowstone or Washington DC than to Italy, then let them explore Europe on their own time after there's a bit more context for them regarding travel/the world/etc.

International travel is what opens them up to the world as kids. The problem with taking kids a lot of places before they're 8 or 9 is the amount of walking and their general disinterest in museums. We'll probably do DC next year, but my kids have heard awful things from their friends about how boring it is.

And yeah, we did Italy earlier this year.

ugh. It's that time of year when ever coworker has catalogues at their desk of stuff they want me to order for their kid's fundraisers. WHY DO I WANT TO SPEND $20 ON POPCORN JANET!??

oof, that's lame. we have one catalog that has been left in the break room, but that's it.

My son is 11 and we're just now becoming willing to take him places with lots of walking and a need for patience.

We did the Montreal / Boston trip this year kinda as a test. He wants to do NYC badly, so that might be next.

Seriously so far there is:

Boy Scout Popcorn
Moravian Sugar Cookies
Some kind of braided breads (Butter Braid maybe?)
Wrapping Paper
Monogrammed stuff....
Assorted nuts and candies
And like 3 more people selling wrapping paper.

I've made it clear in my office that I will not participate in such things unless the child asks me for the sale directly. Even then, unless the pitch is a good one, I will probably say, "thanks, but no thanks".

ron-swanson-1.jpg

International travel is what opens them up to the world as kids. The problem with taking kids a lot of places before they're 8 or 9 is the amount of walking and their general disinterest in museums. We'll probably do DC next year, but my kids have heard awful things from their friends about how boring it is.

And yeah, we did Italy earlier this year.

The pictures in National Geographic Magazine can do the same thing - expose kids to the fact there is a big world up there. Buy a globe, talk about all the neat places. Build it up to something they're looking forward to experiencing, rather than dragging them everywhere to expose them.

note: You may very well do this. I am not criticizing you for taking your kids places; if you have the means, absolutely... but for most average American families, big European vacations with the whole family are going to be out of the question. My point is that you can instill a love of travel and help your kids experience and appreciate the world while still only traveling domestically when they're young.

So by my count, as of sometime tomorrow, there will only two of us left from my group of friends at Wake that don't have kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back