• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cooking > Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only watched about 20 mins of a Harry Potter movie, not sure which one because its when I was a camp counselor in HS and I walked in late, and I have never read the books. My wife is a HUGE nerd though like y'all though and loved them growing up. I told her I'd get into them whenever she forced our kid to start reading them.

But if I'm being honest wizard stuff sounds dumb.

I thought the concept sounded dumb as shit when I let my HS GF drag me to the first movie and then left the theater and read every book that was available.

The Boards are broken again so I can't quote anything today but...

@Mako - why did you only assign 20 mins of stuff? Gotta hammer these kids, especially from home. I have 4-5 activities built in every day for my HS students. We generally do half of it together (warm up/bell ringer, quick direct teach, modeling asynch assignment) or an activity in Zoom breakout room small groups, then I give them another 20-30 minute activity asynchronously with about 40 mins left in class.

Idle hands bro

When it's one supersharp kid who grasps the material and doesn't require a lot of explanation, it moves pretty damn quick. It was the same setup that my previous class couldn't finish in the entire class period.

I think Harry Potter is great for kids and teens and has a good message about friendship and character and all that

adults really into Harry Potter is weird to me

I think I missed HP by like half a generation. I probably would've been totally into it if I had been born 3-5 years later. I started it last year and got through book 5. So far, overall, it's okay. I thought book 1 was just bad, book 2 much improved, book 3 was great, and then books 4 and 5 were both kind of meh - some really good stuff like the characters maturing, but lots of filler. The Big Moments in those 2 didn't hit me as hard as they were meant to. I'm sorta more motivated to get back into it now.

The only reason I know anything at all about it is I have two kids who were mildly interested for a couple of months so I read a copule of books with my son in second or third grade.

I used to read the redwall series back when I would have been the target age to devour the HP series and I likely would have if they came out earlier. But they didn’t so I was older and remember thinking when my younger siblings read them that a wizard school with a bunch of corny names like fuzzle or wimplesnuff sounds hella lame.

I think I missed HP by like half a generation. I probably would've been totally into it if I had been born 3-5 years later. I started it last year and got through book 5. So far, overall, it's okay. I thought book 1 was just bad, book 2 much improved, book 3 was great, and then books 4 and 5 were both kind of meh - some really good stuff like the characters maturing, but lots of filler. The Big Moments in those 2 didn't hit me as hard as they were meant to. I'm sorta more motivated to get back into it now.

I agree. My sister who is 2 years younger than me was really into all the books as was my sister who is 7 years younger than me. I saw all the movies in theaters, mostly going with them but I still haven't read the book.

series I got into as a kid:

Encyclopedia Brown was my #1
Boxcar Children and Hardy Boys were the first I remember
some Redwall (my brother read them all)
not really a series, but Matt Christopher books

My parents really shouldn’t have let me read It in the 5th grade.

Great Illustrated Classics
Wishbone books
Magic Tree House
Goosebumps
Artemis Fowl
Harry Potter
Hitchhiker's Guide novels

I had a handful of boxcar children and goosebumps
Redwall series
Not stories, but those white Eyewitness books
For whatever reason (reminded by the other thread), John Grisham novels. That started like 9th grade, I guess I was an OWG already.

John Bellairs

His books were fucking awesome because they were some spooky shit, yet always found room for a baseball reference.

Anyone else having problems getting pages to load?...Good grief, this place is almost non-functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back