• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread lame titles. Owning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This touches on something I've always found interesting. If you were born in certain parts of the world, you were simply never going to be a Christian. And in many other parts, if you were inclined to lean towards a monotheistic religion you would likely be part of the religion that was the most present in your region.

Different routes up the same mountain.

My favorite part has to be the end of John:

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

This is the end of the book of John. This is after Jesus has been crucified and risen. He shows back up to his followers who see him, he reinstates Peter, and then he "did many other things as well" but it's too much to talk about.

Acts then picks up by him going up to Heaven. It's amazing to me that Jesus is crucified, returns to earth, does "many other things as well" (but are just not included in the Bible), and only then some indeterminate time later does zombie Jesus ascend to the heavens.

Aren't religious people curious about what "many other things" Jesus did? I sure as hell am and I'm not religious at all.

I don't read that to mean in the interim between his death and ascension. There was a functional maximum length for a papyrus roll in that time period, and the gospel writers were all flirting with it

Only religion class I took at Wake was Zen Buddhism with Ford. Good stuff.

I don't read that to mean in the interim between his death and ascension. There was a functional maximum length for a papyrus roll in that time period, and the gospel writers were all flirting with it

god can't even help a brother out with fucking PAPER to write HIS WORD?

Why the Bible, though? Why not a different religion that explains shit?

If your question is: have I examined all other world religions and assessed each of them for which one makes the most sense, the answer is no. I do struggle with this question often. What if I'm believing in the complete wrong thing? I don't have the time to go learn about 30 other religions!

This is where I have to go back to basics to assess my faith. 1) I know (and history records) that a number of Jesus' followers truly believed He was God. 2) They willingly gave their lives from this belief. To save their lives, they simply had to disclaim this belief and they refused to do so, suffering horrible deaths as a result. 3) Paul had a fantastic career as a Pharisee, persecuting Christians and living the high life. Abruptly, overnight, he completely changed and turned his back on his past, and became Jesus' greatest proclaimer.

I find these historical points extremely persuasive - which makes me think that Jesus is God, which makes me think that God exists and that Christianity is true. Is it possible that I have been deceived? Yes, but there's only so much I can do about that, and I believe that God calls me to trust in Him.

I have enjoyed the discussion this morning - not abandoning the discussion, but I will be off for a while. Peace ya'll.

You believe those things because they were the first origin story you ever heard. If you heard another religion's story first then you would probably believe that.

I'm undecided which take is more scorching this morning: awaken in the science thread, or Junebug in the HB2 thread.

Have you ever REALLY looked at a hot chicks bhole? Like studied it? It can be very mystical and enlightening. Unfortunately for most of these dwarf fellas here they best chance is with a not hot chick, and that does not provide the same experience. Sorry fellas.

Interesting. That's good insight. I haven't read much about this line or anything, it just always stood out to me and I took it at face value that it was describing the time period between the end of John and the beginning of Acts (ascension).

god can't even help a brother out with fucking PAPER to write HIS WORD?

Paper, hell. He couldn't even help most of the apostles/evangelists out by keeping them from getting crucified, or flayed alive, or hacked into tiny pieces. 0/10, would not recommend.

Papyrus back then was not cheap, particularly for primarily lower-class followers of a Jewish itinerant preacher. That's not to mention pens, ink, or the unbelievable amount of time required to write all of that down by hand. It's actually pretty remarkable (IMO) how many fragments we still have today of NT texts, and how faithfully the text was preserved. As someone who loves both books and history--not to mention Jesus!--it's mind-blowing to think that at one time there was exactly one copy of the gospel of Luke in the entire world, and the effort that must have gone into reproducing and disseminating it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back