• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Lectro Busy Biting His MyPillow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never been one to cut back from donating to the Deacon Club based on performance, but my wife and I also donate to a scholarship fund for first generation students at UF that made it possible for her to attend.

It’s going to be pretty tough justifying not just shifting my deacon club money to that scholarship if Danny is retained.

It’s a weird situation because I totally get that, but starving the department doesn’t exactly help us with the next hire. Wellman appears to have already been forced out, so you might as well give Currie something to work with. He didn’t sign that contract with Manning.

Exactly, Say Hey didn't start that not fake rumor, he just laid facts out there that BKF couldn't dispute.

It’s a weird situation because I totally get that, but starving the department doesn’t exactly help us with the next hire. Wellman appears to have already been forced out, so you might as well give Currie something to work with. He didn’t sign that contract with Manning.

yeah I also don't like the philosophy of not giving a dime to WFU in terms of ticket sales. I love going to football games even when we suck, but we should be especially decent next season so I will go to a few and the bowl if feasible. probably go to the Clemson game, too.

Wake must know that for the most part a lot of undergrads go on to professional careers that require additional schooling, MD, PhD, MBA, JD, and such and by doing so the most recent school people graduated from and the one that matters connection wise is the most recent. What draws a lot of people back is successful sports teams, one that happens to be in a major conference and for a long time one that was good in basketball. Ignoring this isn’t just a well we suck at basketball thing it has really destroyed a connection a lot of people had with the school that allowed them to talk about Wake in some context.

I don’t think that anyone making decisions at Wake is ignorant or the benefit of basketball success. I think we made two pretty shitty hires. It happens. I’m not sure it’s much more complicated than that.

Wake must know that for the most part a lot of undergrads go on to professional careers that require additional schooling, MD, PhD, MBA, JD, and such and by doing so the most recent school people graduated from and the one that matters connection wise is the most recent. What draws a lot of people back is successful sports teams, one that happens to be in a major conference and for a long time one that was good in basketball. Ignoring this isn’t just a well we suck at basketball thing it has really destroyed a connection a lot of people had with the school that allowed them to talk about Wake in some context.

hard to instill anything when there is apparently zero repercussions for actual results on the job

what are the effective alternatives to withholding money if you're looking to demand accountability?

ignore the AD change in this circumstance, just generally speaking

Wellman's fall from grace is p stunning. Folks may not have been around long enough to remember that after Skip died, the prevailing sentiment was "thank God we have Ron Wellman" and "In Ron We Trust." The dude probably had a 95% approval rating among Wake fans. He fired Dino and that was a real Fuckin' A moment, because folks felt like Dino needed to go, but weren't sure whether Wellman had the balls to pull the trigger. It also seemed, at the time, that he may have had Brad Stevens lined up as a replacement. Cut to a week later, when Goodman broke the [name redacted] hire, which came out of fucking nowhere, and that was pretty much the destruction of Wellman's reputation and legacy. He's been Ronald McDonald Wellman ever since and there is a 10,000 post thread entitled "Fuck You, Ron Wellman" on his board. Amazing stuff.

Wellman got way too much credit for just hiring the best coach he could get from his home state of Ohio. I never got the impression he put in the work most ADs do to make big hires. Then he hired his long time friend who nobody else would have hired and then he hired a famous former college great who happened to win his bad conference.

He’s been at Wake for almost 30 years. Any AD is going to have accomplishments in that time due to the national ebb and flow of sports and the need to raise money and build buildings.

He also inherited some good coaches. According to the analysis I did several years ago, a significant number of the championships with him as AD came from coaches he inherited like Averill and Odom.

what are the effective alternatives to withholding money if you're looking to demand accountability?

ignore the AD change in this circumstance, just generally speaking

That’s a good question. I really don’t know. Optics certainly matter. I haven’t really been to a basketball game in a year and a half, but other sports are doing great so I’m not going to stop supporting Wake athletics entirely. I don’t think you can specifically ignore the change with Currie because it seems like worst case scenario his hands are tied.

Wellman got way too much credit for just hiring the best coach he could get from his home state of Ohio. I never got the impression he put in the work most ADs do to make big hires. Then he hired his long time friend who nobody else would have hired and then he hired a famous former college great who happened to win his bad conference.

He’s been at Wake for almost 30 years. Any AD is going to have accomplishments in that time due to the national ebb and flow of sports and the need to raise money and build buildings.

He also inherited some good coaches. According to the analysis I did several years ago, a significant number of the championships with him as AD came from coaches he inherited like Averill and Odom.

Wellman also didn't want to build Spry and didn't want to retain Averill or Vidovich.

Also, Bridger, which was his first major facilities project, I think, was way too small from the beginning. Teams had trouble fitting into the locker rooms, if I recall.

what if wake forest sports is really just the friends we made along the way

And other than the fundraising, would anyone say that Wake’s AD stood out? Sports Marketing and SID have been miserable for long stretches of time, and it’s not like the Deacon Club is anything special or inventive. The most memorable things the AD ever did were ripped off from Wisconsin.

That’s a good question. I really don’t know. Optics certainly matter. I haven’t really been to a basketball game in a year and a half, but other sports are doing great so I’m not going to stop supporting Wake athletics entirely. I don’t think you can specifically ignore the change with Currie because it seems like worst case scenario his hands are tied.

I'm ignoring it in this inquiry because I've seen people push back on the withholding donations strategy for years, long before an AD change was in place

College athletics is pretty whacky -- a general donation to the Deacon Club supports both billion-dollar enterprises like college football while also covering scholarships for tons of non-revenue sport athletes. Meanwhile, a kid can't make money of their likeness while high end coaches make millions. It operates on a twisted logic that create some strange circumstances.

Can you earmark donations that are not to be used for anything basketball related, or specify a particular sport? I assume so but have no clue.

I'm ignoring it in this inquiry because I've seen people push back on the withholding donations strategy for years, long before an AD change was in place

College athletics is pretty whacky -- a general donation to the Deacon Club supports both billion-dollar enterprises like college football while also covering scholarships for tons of non-revenue sport athletes. Meanwhile, a kid can't make money of their likeness while high end coaches make millions. It operates on a twisted logic that create some strange circumstances.

You won’t get any argument from me about your last point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back