• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Make BiffTannen Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
DKE takeover of the university continues. We have others.

Would Thad Matta be good? He left OSU for health reasons — would he want to put in the full grind of recruiting and coaching? I seem very skeptical of this one just like with Howland last time.

Pretty sure he'd be pretty good. He's failed to win 20 games only once in his entire career - his last at OSU.

Apparently the health stuff was back related. Steve Kerr and Krzyzewski have had serious back problems that have kept them from coaching for extended periods, and both seem alright now and among the GOATs. Matta is only 51 (younger than Manning). I'd take the chance.

But yeah, who knows.

Don’t think deacfan2009 would be able to stand the guy who stole oden, conley, cook from us

Helluva coaching tree though

Successful former assistants
Edit
Coaches who worked for Matta at Butler have been hired for head coaching positions at University of Iowa and Butler University. Sean Miller worked for Matta for three years at Xavier and was hired as head coach when Matta left, then took the head coaching job at University of Arizona. The success of Matta's staff at Ohio State was acknowledged by Ohio University in 2008, when former Buckeyes Associate Head Coach John Groce was chosen to lead that program. Groce also coached at the University of Illinois Fighting Illini until March 11, 2017. In 2010, former Buckeyes assistant coach Alan Major, who had also worked with Matta at Xavier and Ohio State, was named the head coach at Charlotte. In 2011, Sean's brother Archie Miller, another former Ohio State assistant, got the job at the University of Dayton and then in 2017 was hired by Indiana University to replace Tom Crean. In 2013, Brad Stevens, a former graduate assistant of Matta's, accepted the head coaching job for the Boston Celtics. Stevens was replaced at Butler by Brandon Miller who had worked for Matta at Xavier and Ohio State. In 2016, long-time assistant Jeff Boals was named the head coach at Stony Brook.

Personally I think it would be one of the most hilarious things ever to hire Matta after he boned us harder than any coach in the country. The Devil!

If he hires Julius Hodge as an assistant, we can put too big curses behind us.

I kinda thought we hired Manning thinking he would end the Postseason Curse since he was the most clutch postseason dude in the history of college basketball. That obviously didn’t work out so well, but maybe hiring The Devil will do the trick.

Don’t think deacfan2009 would be able to stand the guy who stole oden, conley, cook from us

Helluva coaching tree though

Successful former assistants
Edit
Coaches who worked for Matta at Butler have been hired for head coaching positions at University of Iowa and Butler University. Sean Miller worked for Matta for three years at Xavier and was hired as head coach when Matta left, then took the head coaching job at University of Arizona. The success of Matta's staff at Ohio State was acknowledged by Ohio University in 2008, when former Buckeyes Associate Head Coach John Groce was chosen to lead that program. Groce also coached at the University of Illinois Fighting Illini until March 11, 2017. In 2010, former Buckeyes assistant coach Alan Major, who had also worked with Matta at Xavier and Ohio State, was named the head coach at Charlotte. In 2011, Sean's brother Archie Miller, another former Ohio State assistant, got the job at the University of Dayton and then in 2017 was hired by Indiana University to replace Tom Crean. In 2013, Brad Stevens, a former graduate assistant of Matta's, accepted the head coaching job for the Boston Celtics. Stevens was replaced at Butler by Brandon Miller who had worked for Matta at Xavier and Ohio State. In 2016, long-time assistant Jeff Boals was named the head coach at Stony Brook.

He also had Greg Paulus as a long time assistant, but I'd have to be cool with that. If going to the dark side with Darth Thad and Greg Paulus lifts the curse, I am in.

Head Coach: Matta
Assistants: Beliein's kid who played for WVU, Julius Hodge, Cherokee Parks

Gotta tell ya that Alan Major was probably the most incompetent head coach I’ve ever seen. And you people know who I’ve seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back