• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread XLII- POOF...vamoose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some concerns about how the danger rangers are teaching kids about frostbite.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329775122.329145.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329775122.329145.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 0
Reading Crime and Punishment.

Very enjoyable.

I think vad and OGB are our resident Russophiles (with regard to literature)? I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others who may have read it, too (Townie, Hello, lalark, Tuffalo, etc.).

Reading Crime and Punishment.

Very enjoyable.

I think vad and OGB are our resident Russophiles (with regard to literature)? I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others who may have read it, too (Townie, Hello, lalark, Tuffalo, etc.).

However, I must add that I think I prefer Brothers Karamazov.

I read it in HS, but honestly I couldn't tell you very much about it. Probably becuase my english teacher had back surgery before the year and was on all kinds of pain meds when he was teaching our class that year.

I do remember having a hard time relating to some his experiences with my limited knowledge of 1800s Russia.

I read it in HS, but honestly I couldn't tell you very much about it. Probably becuase my english teacher had back surgery before the year and was on all kinds of pain meds when he was teaching our class that year.

I do remember having a hard time relating to some his experiences with my limited knowledge of 1800s Russia.

Burke?

However, I must add that I think I prefer Brothers Karamazov.

I greatly prefer Bros K. Crime and Punishment has some sweet parts, and I think it pretty heavily challenged my morals the first time I read it.

Also, I can't stick with the Russians too long. I like War and Peace ok, and the payoff of finishing was a nice feeling, but it wasn't really worth the magnificent effort like Moby Dick or Gravity's Rainbow.

Russians are, however, the masters of short fiction. Chekhov and Tolstoy are just utter geniuses in this genre.

And my favorite piece of Russian literature is actually in the form of an essay:

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1970/solzhenitsyn-lecture.html

"One word of truth shall outweigh the whole world."

The one and only. Dude was high as a kite his entire adult life.

FIFY.

"That joker was crazy. He at a robin once."

I absolutely loved Mr. Burke. He did not belong teaching high school english in North Carolina. He belonged somewhere between Arkham Asylum and Princeton University.

SCD, I read Crime and Punishment a long time ago. I think my HS AP English teacher ruined it for me. She made us read it twice in one semester. I really enjoy Russian literature and I consider Nabokov and Tolstoy to be among my favorite writers. I may have to give it another try. I think I remember enjoying it the first time I read it. The second time through I think I just got annoyed with the constant descriptions of the protagonist's torment because as a reader you really start to feel his anxiety and it got a little intense for me as a young, sensitive high school girl. But I think I would appreciate it much more as an adult reader.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich was hoooooooooorrible in high school and I really liked it when I read again when I was older.

Any of you losers in this picture (taken from the CBE in KC).

scaled.php

Bout to read some more McCarthy. I've been on a "movies that are based on books" kick lately and I want to move back towards the master of modern westerns.

taxes can blow me.

time to adjust my withholdings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back