• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chattanooga

GEN

Reaction score
Long time lurker hoping for some tips. My girlfriend just got transferred to Chattanooga for her job. Does anyone know the city well enough to recommend locations/area of town to live in??

I have to head down there in December to help her move in. After taking orders all day, I will likely need to go out some place...any suggestions for bars/restaurants?

Any help is much appreciated

My mom lives there; so i've spent a little bit of time there...

They've revamped a lot of places down by the river and UT-C but from what I've heard; the prices are pretty outrageous for what you get.

I'll post a few restaurant/bar recommendations a little later.

The Terminal Brewhouse

Also... if you haven't taken the chance to venture around the river and go take a walk across the bridge; they've really cleaned that area up and with the paddle-boats, etc... it can be a really scenic.

Went to high school in Chattanooga. Gonna have to pay a ton if you wanna live downtown, but that is an awesome place to be. Obviously the mountains (Signal and Lookout) are where Chattanooga money is, but its a hike to the town from there.

Ooltewah, Brainerd, Red Bank, Missionary Ridge are areas around Chattanooga, and in 1998-2002 I knew which ones were ok and which ones weren't, but now I'm not so sure. I can ask around if you want.

Went to high school in Chattanooga. Gonna have to pay a ton if you wanna live downtown, but that is an awesome place to be. Obviously the mountains (Signal and Lookout) are where Chattanooga money is, but its a hike to the town from there.

Ooltewah, Brainerd, Red Bank, Missionary Ridge are areas around Chattanooga, and in 1998-2002 I knew which ones were ok and which ones weren't, but now I'm not so sure. I can ask around if you want.

Has the real estate bust not affected their downtown?

I'm not sure about the specifics of the real estate market. I know last check, the condos downtown were going for close to a million, which is absurd for Chattanooga.

They have continued to grow downtown constantly for the past 10 years. I haven't noticed a slowdown at all.

I once played a tennis tournament there. I remember there was a big train in the middle of the city or something.

Yeah. Its a neat place, actually. In the '70s, it was a shithole. In the late 90's, it was just ok. Now its actually really fun.

i'll actually agree with that. it's surprisingly fun

Has the real estate bust not affected their downtown?
I think the main reason downtown is still pretty expensive is that there are just not that many places to live that are actually downtown and the places that are available are pretty new. Up on the mountains (Signal, Lookout) definitely still seems to be the place to live if you have money. It is definitely a cool place to live with a fair amount of stuff to do, plus you are less than 2 hours from Nashville and Atlanta.

What do people consider as paying a ton?

Is there something driving growth in Chattanooga? Those prices are ridiculous.

Chattanooga has a ton of old money. I don't know if that has anything to do with real estate prices, but if downtown doesn't have a lot of area then it may just be that the old money props the prices up.

My grandfather was born in Chattanooga so I know plenty about the way it used to be. I also have a couple of cousins from opposite sides of the family who live there. I just can't understand how those condos could be that much in demand.

Back