• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chaundee Brown Defense

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
In looking up some stuff on Army I came across the fact that Brown has been phenomenal in on-ball defense this year (one of the best in the nation).

It will be interesting to see if this is just a small sample size (he is defending the three-point line very, very well), or if he is in fact a lockdown defender that we need him to be.

Lots of eye-popping stats from him on the year so far:

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/...fense-this-season-wake-forest-athlete-stopper

All the more reason why a four guard lineup was a dumb idea.

I'm very excited about him being able to play SG next season.

Good write up. Chaundee hasn't been consistent on offense, but his defensive effort alone means he should continue to see plenty of playing time. I'm excited to watch both Chaundee and Olivier continue to grow. They're both going to be very good.

I'm not worried about Chaundee's offense aside from attempting too many threes (30 of 69 attempts). He should be the 4th or 5th option in most lineups. I'd love to see him attacking the offensive glass more especially when we don't have Thompson/Moore as our bigs. If Chaundee attacks the offensive boards, it may put him in a position to get the board, get a steal, or at least slow down a fastbreak.

I'm not worried about Chaundee's offense aside from attempting too many threes (30 of 69 attempts). He should be the 4th or 5th option in most lineups. I'd love to see him attacking the offensive glass more especially when we don't have Thompson/Moore as our bigs. If Chaundee attacks the offensive boards, it may put him in a position to get the board, get a steal, or at least slow down a fastbreak.

Offensive rebounding is approximately 10% of his game right now, which is only 8 possessions on the year. He has 12 points on those 8 possessions and is 4-5 from the field.

He is really struggling at spot-up shooting, generating just 29 points off of 41 possessions (.707 PPP), and shooting 10-35 from the field (29%). His catch and shoot numbers are pretty bad, as he is 6-22 (27%) on "no dribble jumpers", but is 100% on 5 shots in "all jump shots off the dribble in the half court offense."

He has also been pretty effective in a small sample size of handling the ball in the pick and roll, with 7 points on 5 possessions (3-5 shooting). He is pretty good once he gets downhill towards the basket.

It seems like getting him the ball a bit more in space and letting him either use a screen or dribble to get to the basket/pull up would be right in his alley, but given the amount of guards on the roster he clearly is not a top option to do a lot of dribbling/ball-handling. It will be interesting to see if we can get some more sets for him to go to work and be efficient that isn't just "stand in a spot and shoot a three off a catch".

I am a firm advocate of the philosophy that when the outside shot is not falling, players should work at taking the ball to the basket. Seeing the ball go through the basket does wonders for shooters whether lay-ups or foul shots. It would be a good rule that if a player misses 3 outside shots in a row he must work at getting a lay-up or foul shot before attempting another outside shot.

Unless the technique is seriously flawed, shooting has a great deal to do with confidence. Brown's offensive confidence has taken some serious hits of late. Hopefully that changes before we get into the conference schedule.

Chaundee's defense is great!

We should be scary on defense next year with Chaundee locking down on the ball and Sarr protecting the weakside + long, athletic wings in Hoard and Mucius!

Don't see anywhere in that article those numbers adjusted for strength of schedule.

Reactions: Ayo
I'll write to the Synergy guys and see if they can appropriately rate his flow on the camera and stat work. Will report back.

it's actually very simple to calculate

did a player play 25 or more minutes? if yes, then flow; if not, then no flow

Don't see anywhere in that article those numbers adjusted for strength of schedule.

They are raw numbers.

Wake has played the 246th toughest schedule so far this year.

I'm unsure the best way to take into SOS when it comes to on-ball defense adjustments because even a team that is horrible could have a guy who is very, very good and Brown is guarding him, or vice versa. Would be interesting to see, but I don't know how the best way to go about adjusting it would be.

it's actually very simple to calculate

did a player play 25 or more minutes? if yes, then flow; if not, then no flow

In that case..

Flow: Georgia Southern, Liberty, Drake, Qunnipiac
No Flow: Houston, UNC-G, Illinois, Richmond, Charlotte

There appears to be an inverse relationship between the flow of Chaundee and the success of Wake Forest. We may need to follow up on this one.

Just curious, how did you (the author) get this data? I have follow-up questions based on the answer. Or not, if the answer is "they're from a service".

In that case..

Flow: Georgia Southern, Liberty, Drake, Qunnipiac
No Flow: Houston, UNC-G, Illinois, Richmond, Charlotte

There appears to be an inverse relationship between the flow of Chaundee and the success of Wake Forest. We may need to follow up on this one.

Chaundee plays less when we play less small ball.

Back