• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cheap mechanic in Winston

StarboardDeac

Reaction score
Hey quad/pit,

So, my car needs its catalytic converter replaced - part of it has worked its way loose inside and is making a loud metallic rattling sound whenever I drive. I took it to my independent Volvo mechanic guys, and they said it would be $700 from their supplier just for the part, so they suggested taking it to Midas or someplace similar. Midas's estimate is still $500...ugh.

I'm probably going to call around to some of the other import shops/independent mechanics tomorrow, but does anyone know of a place that is likely to a) be cheaper or b) install a part I bring them? I know that's probably not going to happen, but I just looked it up and the OEM part itself is just over $100...

Thanks!

go talk to Dan at Campus Gas.

Beat me to it. He'll give you the price to completely fix it and the price to just make it work. Great guy and he kept my '97 S 10 running through law school without issue. He'll even tell you if he can't fix it and will send you to a buddy of his that won't screw you.

I had pretty good luck at Shatalon Tire and Auto but I think they recently changed some managers and I haven't had anything more than an oil change done since then.

I had pretty good luck at Shatalon Tire and Auto but I think they recently changed some managers and I haven't had anything more than an oil change done since then.

I can only comment about the 2003 time frame, but I was NOT pleased with their service. Do with that what you will.

Well, you guys win. Campus Gas was the cheapest. Dude at Roger Marion (I'd heard good things about that place) basically laughed at me asking why I wanted to replace a catalytic converter in a 1992 car. Uhhh...cause the rest of the car works fine and it's cheaper than car payments??

Well, you guys win. Campus Gas was the cheapest. Dude at Roger Marion (I'd heard good things about that place) basically laughed at me asking why I wanted to replace a catalytic converter in a 1992 car. Uhhh...cause the rest of the car works fine and it's cheaper than car payments??

Dan is the man. You can't go wrong with him. When I lived in Winston he would get all of my automotive business, unless it was out of his level (which he would admit to me and then give me a few different recommendations for where I should go instead). I wish there were mechanics like him in every town.

Back