• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cheyenne Woods at US Amateur Public Links

Looks like she won her round of 16 match 8 and 7! On to the final 8 and hopefully on to the win!

Yeah it is. I was talking to former Wake golf great John Buzcek the other day and he had nothing but positive things to say about Cheyenne. John is now the director of golf at the new Wake facility and interacts with the mens and womens golf teams pretty regularly. I took a lesson with him recently and couldn't believe how world class the new golf center is.

I did a few interviews with Cheyenne and a few of the men's golfers. The facilities are out of his world real. If Cheyenne gets really big time then we will be cranking out women golfers.

No doubt. It appears that she has all the tools to be a star at the next level.

Agreed. She has a very square head on her shoulders to go with the physical tools as well

Slightly off topic, but why is the word "amateur" pronounced differently when it refers to golf? i.e. ama-ter instead of ama-ture

Well the first way is the way you say it and the second way is the bastardized American way of saying it. More people say it the correct way because there are a lot of Europeans that are affiliated with the game. Plenty of people say it the second way though, including myself

I bet she could beat the tar out of her uncle right now.

Ties the 16th so she loses 3 and 2. Great showing by her though to win the medalist honors and then make the QF's. Great experience too.

Marissa Dodd, one of the semifinalists, is also a Wake team member. I wasn't familiar with her but I'm certainly rooting her on now that I know she's a Deac.

I knew she played for Wake but didn't know she was in the tournament. Great job by the Lady Deacs!

The course looked brutally hard today with the wind blowing the way that it was. Good thing they're playing match play and not stroke play. The scores would be high for sure.

I knew she played for Wake but didn't know she was in the tournament. Great job by the Lady Deacs!

She is an incoming freshman, so she hasn't played for Wake yet. Makes me feel better that I had never heard of her. Replay of today's action at 2am tonight on the Golf Channel. Coverage of finals on at 4pm.

Good luck Marissa!

The course was playing ridiculously hard today.

I would love to play Bandon Dunes at some point. Looks like an absolutely phenomenal links style golf course.

She is an incoming freshman, so she hasn't played for Wake yet. Makes me feel better that I had never heard of her. Replay of today's action at 2am tonight on the Golf Channel. Coverage of finals on at 4pm.

Good luck Marissa!

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought she might be an incoming player because she wasn't carrying a Wake bag. Our women's golf team will have a chance to be very good next year.

Watching the playback now. I would hate to play this course in the conditions they had yesterday. 30-40 miles winds wreaking havoc on the men and women. Bogeys winning holes. Clemson's Corbin Mills,men's medalist, will be in the men's final.

Enjoy watching Dodd. Glad she will be a Deacon. They interviewed Cheyenne about her loss. She was wearing a Wake hat, and was very positive in her interview. Announcers mentioned Dianne Dailey talked about how good her attitude is and Cheyenne talked about how much she was looking forward to being teammates with Dodd.

Dodd's Dad is her caddy. He was the goalie for Duke's 1986 national champion soccer team. She has a 4.25 GPA, and Marissa and her family are all certified divers.

Back