• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Floro ain't stickin

Not after today. Floro, Zastryzny, Pena and Pierce Johnson have all been auditioned. Grimm gave up four runs in a ninth inning save opportunity yesterday, so his return will be delayed. There isn't much help at Iowa, as a 5.80 team ERA reflects. A Zac Rosscup sighting seems imminent. Sacrificial lambs.

In happier news, it appears the bats are awake. Thanks should be given to the wind, which has shifted from in to out. Jake with his best start since opening day.

Rosscup to Iowa and Pena recalled. Third consecutive day and the fourth time in the past week the eight man in the bullpen has changed.

Cubs beat the Giants 5-1 to finish the home stand 7-2. Butler bounced back with five strong innings to get his second win and Montgomery pitched four shutout innings for his first save. Zobrist, Bryant and Heyward with solo homers.

With the exception of Schwarber and Russell, everyone on the team is hitting. Lester and Hendricks have been strong. Jake appears to have his mechanics corrected. Lackey appears to be showing his age. Butler has been a nice surprise. I have no confidence in Anderson. The bullpen is erratic but generally effective. The defense has shown some improvement. Here's hoping the team can extend their winning ways to the six game road trip against the Dodgers and the Padres.

Schwarbers still in the top few in the league in terms of pitches per plate appearance, just needs to start hitting the balls in the zone.

I'll take what JHeys putting down right now - give me .260 BA / .345 OBP / .775 OPS and that defense? Its still not worth that contract, but its livable for the next few years.

Agree on Heyward. He's improved as the season has progressed.

Schwarber concerns me. Too much swing and miss. Seven hat tricks and two golden sombreros so far. He's watching grooved first pitch strikes that he could put into orbit and flailing on the margins because he gets behind in the count. I'd like to see him dropped in lineup and concentrate on contact on that first strike. He may need to get behind the plate to improve.

The Awful has been pretty spot on about Schwarber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the Cubs going to make a deal to pull out of this tailspin or will the upcoming 10 game home stand do the trick?

The Awful has been pretty spot on about Schwarber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you know a Cleveland Indians fan struggling going through a rough personal patch, please shield them from Schwarber's 2017 stat line.

And swept by an AJ Preller-compiled team that is actively trying to lose.

Who knew we could hit such lows so soon after winning a title. But Cubs

And swept by an AJ Preller-compiled team that is actively trying to lose.

Who knew we could hit such lows so soon after winning a title. But Cubs
Theo's heart isn't in it. Time for him to take over for Wellman and pull off the trifecta.

Perfect timing as I try to find tickets for a summer Chi-town visit. Thanks Cubs!

I'm still not that concerned. We are hitting as poorly as you could possibly imagine and are still right around the .500 mark.

I'm still not that concerned. We are hitting as poorly as you could possibly imagine and are still right around the .500 mark.

The pitching is really bad, and the defense is bad - thats really hurting us. Cubs had almost elite defense last year that really helped. Our pen is shaky, but usable, Lester and Hendricks are the only starters that you can trust to not give up more than 3 runs in 6 innings, even that is shaky.

Unless this team can go on an offensive tear and average 6ish runs a game, gonna be tough to do anything - even if they get into the playoffs, no one is scared of this staff in a series.

"Patience" is the word from management. Six of the position players have never experienced personal or team adversity in the majors. The vets and management are surprised after two years of living a charmed life. The team is fortunate to be 25-27 considering the drop off in fielding, hitting and pitching.

Focus on defense and put the best defenders at each position in the field. This should also bolster the pitching. Shake up the lineup and play some small ball utilizing situational hitting and aggressive base running. Success in the basics.

Back