• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I doubt Baez or Russell are moving anywhere. They are elite defenders and both have shown offensive ability that can develop to match their defense.

Sitting on both these guys and going 84-78 benefits no one, we need trade chips to get pitchers. Trading away the rest of our farm system is silly since we have 6 MIF on the team right now, with others waiting.

I get the impression the patience that management keeps stressing is sincere and they believe that it is just a matter of time until the players perform to the capabilities they have demonstrated in the past. They believe the team as presently assembled will win the Central and compete for a championship. If the team continues to struggle that belief may waiver.

Edit: Just read the front office is looking for a starter. Concerns regarding Hendricks/Anderson on the DL.

Last edited:
Montgomery and the bullpen pitch a five hit shutout. MM looks like he would be OK with a starting role. Maddon surprised by letting Edwards and Strop successfully pitch out of jams and gave Grimm the ball to get the last three outs. Strop and Grimm needed the display of confidence.

I'm impressed in the leadership shown by Rizzo. Took the bull by the horns in asking for leadoff and has delivered big time. The team looks to be having fun again.

I was surprised Montgomery didn't slide into the fifth spot of the rotation to start the year. Guess we wanted him in the bullpen instead.

Rizzo as a leadoff guy has paid ridiculous dividends over the first week.

I get the impression the patience that management keeps stressing is sincere and they believe that it is just a matter of time until the players perform to the capabilities they have demonstrated in the past. They believe the team as presently assembled will win the Central and compete for a championship. If the team continues to struggle that belief may waiver.

Edit: Just read the front office is looking for a starter. Concerns regarding Hendricks/Anderson on the DL.

There was no chance they stand pat - my assumption is that they are going to be looking at controllable starters and, as with last year, there will be a few untouchables - but I have to think Baez could definitely be a chip - with Russell and Happ as options too, but a MIF combo of 2 of those 3 is fine with Zobs still under contract for 2 more years, TLS and Chesny as backup options. Selling high from a position of strength is a good option right now - especially since we have no pipeline of young pitchers that are anywhere close.

There was no chance they stand pat - my assumption is that they are going to be looking at controllable starters and, as with last year, there will be a few untouchables - but I have to think Baez could definitely be a chip - with Russell and Happ as options too, but a MIF combo of 2 of those 3 is fine with Zobs still under contract for 2 more years, TLS and Chesny as backup options. Selling high from a position of strength is a good option right now - especially since we have no pipeline of young pitchers that are anywhere close.

Agreed. Try to shore up the back end of the rotation while selling off some of the wealth of the middle infield. No reason to stand pat. Cubs are still a dangerous team and there's time to tinker around a bit, win the Central comfortably, and get set up for another deep run in the playoffs.

Heyward on the 10 day DL. RHP Dylan Floro recalled from Iowa and the Cubs selected the contract of OF Mark Zagunis from Iowa. 14 pitchers and 11 position players on the 25 man probably the result of the heavy bullpen use yesterday and hopefully the return of Zobrist this weekend.

Anyone able to watch the game in Charlotte? They are not showing it here on MLB network and it is blacked out on MLB TV since we are in the Nationals territory (since that makes so much sense).

Anyone able to watch the game in Charlotte? They are not showing it here on MLB network and it is blacked out on MLB TV since we are in the Nationals territory (since that makes so much sense).

I watched at a bar until the end of the 7th. Which means I basically missed the entire game. Hector Rondon is done-done, why we keep trotting him out there is beyond me.

Cubs confirmed in on Sonny Gray.

He is looking better this year and under contract for until 2020. Would be a great piece on this team for next year after Jake is gone.

Made even better by the fact that MASN is one of only two networks that doesn't offer in-market streaming.

Fuck those guys and their studio sets out of the 1970s

Neither player was burning it up but Heyward and Zobrist are missed.

Montero's post game comments on the seven stolen bases in tonight's game should spark some reaction from the team.

Agree that any move they make will be with the long term in mind. Baez is probably the least touchable player not named Rizzo and Bryant on the roster. He's a plus defender at multiple positions, has power and has always come on stronger at the plate with more experience. They'd trade Russell before they'd trade Baez - and I don't think he's going anywhere either.

Right now this team is at sea. Injuries, hang over, distractions (Russell), etc. And I'm not sure they will be able to right the ship this year. Let's face it, what they did last year had to take more emotional energy than anyone can imagine. It is hard enough to win a title. To win a title as the Cubs with the history of the team was epic.

Cubs confirmed in on Sonny Gray.

He is looking better this year and under contract for until 2020. Would be a great piece on this team for next year after Jake is gone.

Originally drafted by the Cubs in the 27th round of the 2008 draft.

Tired of Montero running his mouth. He's partially right on Jake being slow to the plate but I counted at least a couple times last night where a good throw would've had the out.

Agree that any move they make will be with the long term in mind. Baez is probably the least touchable player not named Rizzo and Bryant on the roster. He's a plus defender at multiple positions, has power and has always come on stronger at the plate with more experience. They'd trade Russell before they'd trade Baez - and I don't think he's going anywhere either.

Right now this team is at sea. Injuries, hang over, distractions (Russell), etc. And I'm not sure they will be able to right the ship this year. Let's face it, what they did last year had to take more emotional energy than anyone can imagine. It is hard enough to win a title. To win a title as the Cubs with the history of the team was epic.

Eh, not sold that Baez is anywhere close to untouchable - obvious potential is obvious, but he hasn't put it all together yet, and there is a chance he doesn't. Lots of chinks still in his game - Russell is more predictable, lower offensive ceiling, Happ in the same boat defensively. Agree to disagree on who would go first - probably moot anyway.

Back