• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

The Cubs look awful. The ump may be the problem today but it was vintage Darvish and Quintana pitching yesterday - a shitton of pitches and inability to put hitters away. This puts pressure on the BP and they implode - rinse repeat. The team looks exactly like the flawed team they assembled last year - I guess it is no wonder as they didn't do anything in the off season.

And more implosion - Theo et. al. are going to be in a real bind. I expect the Cubs will potentially be massive sellers this summer and rebuild around a couple of the core guys.

Is Icker the one who only shows up to bitch when things aren't going well? Think I have that right.

Playing in Texas has always seemed to me to be like playing at Wrigley when the wind is blowing out. Hopefully not the sole explanation for our offensive outburst and hopefully a large explanation for our pitching probs

All that said, can't say I'm too surprised with the rough start given how little we added

I would say Hamels is a serious wild card. That describes most of the pitching staff actually.

815ce3802d449fe098068e559572a4d0.jpg

Cubs extend BOAT - 5/$15 - with two additional options for 2025 and 2026 at $7.5 million each. Dunno, ok? I mean, its not a lot to throw out there and hope he turns into (remains?) a solid player.

The Cubs have spent dumber money and a lot more of it. Bote must have intangibles that project him to be more than we have seen. He was outstanding last year on the shuttle between Chicago and Iowa, but I questioned if he would stick in the bigs this year. Time will tell.

Bringing back basically the same bullpen as last year was a fantastic idea

Bringing back basically the same bullpen as last year was a fantastic idea

The bullpen last year actually performed well and was near the top of a lot of statistical categories. Fucking scary but true.

Bullpens are just fucking fickle as all hell. And the way these guys are performing so far it could well be a shit show this year. May need to just say fuck it and call up Maples and Mekkes and see if one or both of them can't just start plugging gaps. Who the fuck needs a closer when you can't get through the 7th and 8th innings without surrendering 20 walks.

The Cubs have spent dumber money and a lot more of it. Bote must have intangibles that project him to be more than we have seen. He was outstanding last year on the shuttle between Chicago and Iowa, but I questioned if he would stick in the bigs this year. Time will tell.

My longer term issue is the farm system is really bad outside of pitching depth - with none of those pitchers save maybe one projecting as a 1-2 type starter. That depth will be useful as no doubt some of those guys will pan out to be productive pros. But it puts a lot of pressure on signing and/or trading for the right guys at the top of the rotation. And the position player situation down on the farm is really bad right now. We could be looking at a boom bust cycle as some of the bigger names move along once free agency hits.

The bullpen last year actually performed well and was near the top of a lot of statistical categories. Fucking scary but true.

Bullpens are just fucking fickle as all hell. And the way these guys are performing so far it could well be a shit show this year. May need to just say fuck it and call up Maples and Mekkes and see if one or both of them can't just start plugging gaps. Who the fuck needs a closer when you can't get through the 7th and 8th innings without surrendering 20 walks.

Yeah, I think your second point is the key one, there's so much of a disparity year to year in terms of reliever performance. I think the worst thing you can do is just roll with the same dudes you had the previous year, there should be a lot of roster flexibility when it comes to the pen

My longer term issue is the farm system is really bad outside of pitching depth - with none of those pitchers save maybe one projecting as a 1-2 type starter. That depth will be useful as no doubt some of those guys will pan out to be productive pros. But it puts a lot of pressure on signing and/or trading for the right guys at the top of the rotation. And the position player situation down on the farm is really bad right now. We could be looking at a boom bust cycle as some of the bigger names move along once free agency hits.

Farm system was strong a few years ago, right? What happened? Gutted in trades?

Farm system was strong a few years ago, right? What happened? Gutted in trades?

Correct. Gleyber Torres(2B), Billy McKinney(OF), Eloy Jimenez(OF), Dylan Cease(P) and Jorge Solar(OF) were traded.

The pitching has been dreadful.

Last edited:
We literally traded away 4 top 100 talents in the past couple of years and we still have a couple. The system is definitely towards the bottom, but we do have some high upside guys like Hoerner, Roederer and Amaya. Nico is probably the closest to the majors, but depending on how they grow, we could see Nico next year, Amaya & Roederer in 2021/22.

Bats we know, arms we don't.

We literally traded away 4 top 100 talents in the past couple of years and we still have a couple. The system is definitely towards the bottom, but we do have some high upside guys like Hoerner, Roederer and Amaya. Nico is probably the closest to the majors, but depending on how they grow, we could see Nico next year, Amaya & Roederer in 2021/22.

Bats we know, arms we don't.

Technically it's 6 top 100 talents if you count Villanueva & Candelario.

Also gotta realize we have 7 more top 100 talents playing on the team from the past 5 years - KBoom, Baez, Almora, Contreras, CJ, Schwarbs, Happ (lol). It's not super easy to replace that much that quickly.

Back