• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Brailyn Marquez hits 101 and strikes out 14 in 6 innings for South Bend tonight. Hes got amazing stuff, especially when his slider is working.

Also, no, Schwarber and Russell would not be enough for Merrifield.

Figured they had to bring Happ up — if he can’t outperform some on the roster it will signal he isn’t going to develop significantly in the Cubs system.

I’m hoping the corresponding move is Descalso (DFA or perhaps some mystery season ending injury).

Cubs trade for Derek Holland. Hopefully it's only as a loogy - lefties are OPSing under .500. Righties are OPSing over 1.000. Trade was for cash, so the price was right, but cant imagine hes the guy we need.

Tim Collins dfa'd.

Holland has excellent numbers against LH hitters and in the eighth and ninth inning. Only 3 of 12 inherited runners have scored. Worth a look as a situational LHP.

I can’t imagine the price tag for any team at this point for Merrifield unless it was superstar for superstar and usually somebody has to be disgruntled for that to happen.

Contreras leading off? Ok... Bullpen gives up the lead and Cubs drop into second place.

At times the Cubs look like they are grasping at straws. Offensively, Rizzo, Bryant, Baez and Contreras are top shelf players playing at their expected levels. Heyward, Bote and Caratini are fulfilling or slightly exceeding expectations. The remainder of the position players are a disappointment. I include Schwarber because the expectation was an elite player and the reality is a career .227 hitter that accepts his walks, hits a (solo) home run every 18 plate appearances, strikes out frequently and is a career .185 hitter with runners in scoring position. The pitching hasn't been consistent, some aspect is always faltering and costing the team wins. The defense has fallen to the 2015 level. The payroll has put constraints on front office and the farm system is thin. The best thing the Cubs have going for them is their post all star winning percentage with Maddon as manager, but last season exposed cracks.

The Cubs had a losing record in June and have a .500 record in July. I sense this team could fail to make the playoffs. I hope I am wrong.

Wow, Kimbrel blows the save. Odd lineup again. this does not appear to be a confident club.

At times the Cubs look like they are grasping at straws. Offensively, Rizzo, Bryant, Baez and Contreras are top shelf players playing at their expected levels. Heyward, Bote and Caratini are fulfilling or slightly exceeding expectations. The remainder of the position players are a disappointment. I include Schwarber because the expectation was an elite player and the reality is a career .227 hitter that accepts his walks, hits a (solo) home run every 18 plate appearances, strikes out frequently and is a career .185 hitter with runners in scoring position. The pitching hasn't been consistent, some aspect is always faltering and costing the team wins. The defense has fallen to the 2015 level. The payroll has put constraints on front office and the farm system is thin. The best thing the Cubs have going for them is their post all star winning percentage with Maddon as manager, but last season exposed cracks.

The Cubs had a losing record in June and have a .500 record in July. I sense this team could fail to make the playoffs. I hope I am wrong.

Yep. It would be shocking but they absolutely should sell and get ready to make a big run next year. Hamels and Quintana are the highest value assets to move.

Meh, this is silly talk - bullpen blew two straight 2-0 leads in the 8th inning, without that, they are still looking great.

The Dodgers are a better team, but there is no one else in the NL that is technically better. Our bullpen, and really our bullpen management, has been a major issue for years. Stop is done, for now, he needs to rest, his fastball has lost 4 MPH during the year. Brach is career done. Cishek is overused. But, you put in Wick in the 8th inning 2 games ago and the Cubs win and are still a first place team.

Still have the bats to make a difference - wouldn't mind getting another guy that can put the ball in play at CF or 2B. Garcia looks ok, but more like a 25th man kinda guy, not a rotational starter.

I don't really know the Mets minor leaguers, but if Stroman only cost their 6th and 7th best prospects, gotta assume the Cubs are picking up the phone to see what they can get Giles for.

Schwarber 7 RBI hitting in the 8th spot. Interesting Maddon pulls Quintana in the 5th after giving up 3 runs.

Cubs are supposedly kicking the tires on O's 2B Jonathan Villar and D'backs OF Jarrod Dyson.

Cubs are supposedly kicking the tires on O's 2B Jonathan Villar and D'backs OF Jarrod Dyson.

Anything with a heartbeat that can play CF and 2B.

If the Cubs got swept, I would have expected bargain shopping - now that they are back tied for 1st, thinking they might pull the trigger on something a little better. Needs are still RP, CF and 2B - not a ton of options out there - Villar wouldn't be a bad pickup, not the best hitter and would be another high K guy - but has the potential to help out on the basepaths and plays maybe a bit above average D, and another switch hitter never hurts.

I would really love to get Puig, but a little too much bad blood there - he hasn't really lived up to expectations, but there is the potential for him to get hot, and would have to think he is cheap.

I know he's been Almora level atrocious this year, but I would love a Starwin Castro reunion. I know, he doesn't walk, doesn't really get on base, is a streaky hitter and can be a knucklehead in the field. BUT, its Starlin Castro, and he will cost about as much as a sub from Publix.

After a bad start, Castro has heated up in July (.325/.356/.530/.886). Expect the Marlins to deal him by Wednesday.

I know he's been Almora level atrocious this year, but I would love a Starwin Castro reunion. I know, he doesn't walk, doesn't really get on base, is a streaky hitter and can be a knucklehead in the field. BUT, its Starlin Castro, and he will cost about as much as a sub from Publix.

Quite the sales pitch. :thumbsup:

Back