• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Yeah Yu has been really fun to watch this year. In fact most of our starting pitchers have been a blast to watch.

Encouraged to see that our skid were all extremely close games that we just couldn’t capitalize on. We still seem to be playing high quality baseball so hopefully we can just roll on like 2016.

I'm hoping Happ performance takes over at lead off. Ross has liked the approach of the line up and seems willing to put up with the strike out totals, but Baez, Schwarber and Contreras are not letting the situation dictate their approach and failing in RBI opportunities. Bryant and Rizzo could be used between those three.

Alzolay pitched a strong five innings. He might get another start.

Oh what a relief it was to see Kimbrel throwing strikes to get a save. Another step in the right direction.

Caratini and Bote choke up with two strikes and runners in scoring position to drive in all four runs. Caratini was stealing strikes for Alzolay today. He sure has helped Darvish regain his confidence and command. Bote contributes. His career numbers as a pinch hitter may be the best in baseball over the past 2+ years.

Schwarber and Contreras looked better at the plate in game two.

Alzolay pitched a strong five innings. He might get another start.

Oh what a relief it was to see Kimbrel throwing strikes to get a save. Another step in the right direction.

Caratini and Bote choke up with two strikes and runners in scoring position to drive in all four runs. Caratini was stealing strikes for Alzolay today. He sure has helped Darvish regain his confidence and command. Bote contributes. His career numbers as a pinch hitter may be the best in baseball over the past 2+ years.

Schwarber and Contreras looked better at the plate in game two.

Excellent points, as usual, in your post, Blackjack! I tried to state this in your pos rep, but I messed up.

Adbert was sent back down - but he likely gets another chance in the next doubleheader. He has shown real flashes at times, but also has a tendency to give up a lot of HRs.

With Q coming back soon, there is a decision to be made - but Chatwood appears to be destined for the IL, so that may be easier. Miller and Alzolay both showed they can pitch at this level, but both are righties, which won't really help the pen right now.

KB is out until at least Friday, maybe longer depending on the wrist. Bote has filled in admirably, but a healthy KB makes this a much more dangerous lineup. Especially now that we have two light hitting players at the end of our bench with Perez replacing Souza.

I’d love to see Happ thrive in the leadoff spot so Bryant can be moved, maybe to the second spot.

I’d love to see Happ thrive in the leadoff spot so Bryant can be moved, maybe to the second spot.

Happ is on a massive tear, but I am not sure he can keep it up. He is top 5 in offensive WAR and overall WAR for position players. But, he also has a .405 BABIP, which is scary high and screams regression, especially with the shift he faces daily. But, if he can keep walking at the clip he is now, he should be good enough to man the leadoff, or pretty much any other spot, for awhile.

I mean, walks have been the key catalyst for this team all year, with Javy being the only regular with a sub 10% BB rate - they are 2nd in the MLB in walks. They need more people to get hot because they also lead the league in K's. I expected a bit more pop out of this team so far too - maybe its coming.

When the lead off spot was a ? before last season, Happ expressed a desire to bat #1. I expect some regression, but he wants that job vs. doing it for the team. Rizzo may lay claim to being the best lead off man in baseball, but it's not his preference. KB is at lead off because Ross pencils him in, he's not asking for it. Now that he is there, I'd keep Happ as long as he produces. Mix up the big 5 until something clicks.

None of the big guns are producing in the clutch. They are watching first pitch fast balls down the center of the plate go by for an 0-1 count. Opponents are counting on it. Two pitches later they are 1-2 and grinding. Rizzo always chokes up and goes for contact behind in the count. Schwarbs and Contreras did yesterday. Javy and KB, not yet. Walks aren't hits. All of them need to go after that first grooved fastball on occasion. Watching a few of those produce big hits will increase the pop and put those first pitches on the margins that lead to hitters counts. Get good contact and the power will come.

Q is a mystery. He might be a necessity in the bullpen, especially if it would add 3+ mph to the fastball. Ryan has struggled and this team has to have an effective LHP in the BP to see a World Series. Two would be better. A second LHP in the rotation would be a plus as well. If Q starts, a second LH needs to be called up from South Bend. Use him for an inning when the Cubs trail big and progress him in steps.

Despite my complaints about the hitting and my reservations about the bullpen, 16-8 is a good start. Always a pleasure to "talk" Cubs with you folks. You are all I have. Thanks.

Drubbing by the pale hose. Lester struggled as did the offense. Lester needs to pick it up with Q looking for a rotation spot soon.

Good to win a close game. Darvish proves the stopper and the bullpen brings just enough.

Abreu and the White Sox put on an impressive display of power over the weekend. That's an aggressive offense.

Eventually the Cub bats will wake up. Hopefully it's before the season ends.

Winning the division looks like it will be big given the lack of quality depth in the NL. Looking like probably a big diff between finishing second and playing the upstart Padres or finishing first and getting some random average-at-best third-place finisher

Tough loss tonight. Ian Happ had a defensive nightmare in RF. Contreras whiffs on a foul pop up and Rizzo wasn't around to help. Baez can't make a play on a tough grounder that he makes look routine four times out of five. Tepera slips and falls on a 55 foot grounder. All in a five run sixth inning that turned a 3-1 lead into a 6-3 deficit.

No explanation why Heyward sat out tonight. His absence hurt.

Last edited:
Tough loss tonight. Ian Happ had a defensive nightmare in RF. Contreras whiffs on a foul pop up and Rizzo wasn't around to help. Baez can't make a play on a tough grounder that he makes look routine four times out of five. Tepera slips and falls on a 55 foot grounder. All in a five run sixth inning that turned a 3-1 lead into a 6-3 deficit.

No explanation why Heyward was scratched tonight. His absence hurt.

Blackjack, Heyward took himself out of the lineup to protest what happened with the shooting of Jacob Blake, Jr by the police in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Brewers-Reds, Dodgers-Giants, Mariners-Padres, and all 3 NBA playoff games scheduled for today were postponed due to player protest/boycott.
David Ross and his teammates supported Heyward's decision.

Last edited:
The Cubs are 5 and 9 in their last 14 and have cooled off considerably since their hot start. The heart of the order (Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, and Contreras) has to start producing more consistently. Same goes for Bryant when he gets healthy.

If not, the division could fall to the Brewers or the Cardinals, and the Cubs could make a quick exit from the playoffs.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm surprised Ross has gone with a set line up all season. He seems determined to succeed or fail with it. The big guns aren't producing. The team has scored 29 runs in the nine losses. I doubt a shake up to the order would hurt

On a positive note, Lester pitched well and Happ, who has struggled since starting off well in the leadoff spot, went 3-4.

Back