• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Rest of this year is just seeing who to keep and who not. Better to figure it out now. Schwindel, Alcantara, Deichmann, Fargas and Ortega are going to get a long run - might even see Hermosillo from Iowa come up.

I mean, with Madrigal and Hoerner in the same lineup, getting 10 straight K's will be extremely difficult for any opponent - and 2022 will look different, not sure it will be significantly better, unless they spend $$$$ to upgrade, but there are some pieces here with a lot of controllable years left that could be valuable.

Pitching staff shellacked by the lowly Marlins. Alzolay continues to puzzle. Offense puts up 10 though

Old news, but Cubs finally cut Dan Winkler after he has been rocked his last few outings. Wouldn't surprise me if he finds another team soon. Cubs call up Michael Hermosillo who has been raking in AAA, played last night, nothing of note - but hoping they give him a long run these last games to see if he can be a solid 4th OF type.

Actually excited to see Jake tonight - really hope he does well in San Diego, would hate for his last run to be remembered as horrible start after horrible start.

Cubs are starting some scrub named Adrian Sampson - he looks.... not good, 5 ERA in Iowa. Oh well, might as well get everyone some playing time. At least Kyle bounced back to end the losing streak, was really thinking the Cubs might lose 100 games after being in 1st place at 40-32, they have gone 13-37 since. Fun.

Since June 12, the Cubs are 8-5 when Kyle Hendricks starts. They are 9-37 when anyone else starts. Hendricks is 14-5 on a team that is 16 games under .500. While analytics people scoff at the stat, Hendricks leads MLB in wins, which means more pitching for a team having an abysmal season as he is obviously not getting help from the rest of the roster. Hope Hendricks gets acknowledged on some Cy Young ballots. Really hard to maintain excellence when your team is essentially tanking.

Agree on Hendricks. Leading MLB in a stat that defines the primary goal of every team in every game counts, critics be damned.

Over the past 15 days Frank Schwindel is hitting .407, Matt Duffy is at .383 and Rafael Ortega is at .362. That's hot. Contact helps.

Javy learning how the other half lives now. Mets fans are pretty much the worst.

Cubs reunion coming in the offseason. Only issue is what to do with Madrigal - he's a great fit for DH if that comes down in the new CBA, but apparently underwhelming on defense at 2B. Nico can play 2B/SS/CF and rotate in with Javy or whatever SS the Cubs sign. Most of the Cubs beat reporters are saying Correa should be the target, but he is gonna cost $Texas, Javy might be able to be got on a 1-2 year deal at this point.

Javy learning how the other half lives now. Mets fans are pretty much the worst.

Cubs reunion coming in the offseason. Only issue is what to do with Madrigal - he's a great fit for DH if that comes down in the new CBA, but apparently underwhelming on defense at 2B. Nico can play 2B/SS/CF and rotate in with Javy or whatever SS the Cubs sign. Most of the Cubs beat reporters are saying Correa should be the target, but he is gonna cost $Texas, Javy might be able to be got on a 1-2 year deal at this point.

So here's a fun fact: by coincidence I was at the Mets game on Saturday night (the night before the gestures made during the Sunday afternoon game) I watched each of his ABs intently. I was sitting right above first base on the third level, and he was awful (struck out the first two times, and made uneventful contact the last two). The crowd was audible but not unfair. They paid a fair price for a bat they didn't get, and now their team is struggling.

Meh, I'm on the side of whoever is getting upset is silly. Should he have said that? Probably not - that was dumb, but hes a passionate player. I guess anyone has a right to boo their own team, but not sure why you are booing the player specifically - but also a reason why no one wants to go play for the Mets. I mean, if a guy is loafing or intentionally not trying, sure, but its not like it was an unknown that Javy swings out of his shoes, strikes out a ton, but also makes a bunch of big plays. Booing struggling players is dumb, it's managements responsibility to replace them, not the player for getting paid.

I think Cub management will approach the free agent market with a clean slate. Former Cubs will just be one of many options unless someone indicates a willingness to sign for what was originally offered. Ortega, Wisdom and Schwindel have opened eyes and could be low cost options of value for the next few years. Happ, Heyward and Contreras can move after next year, so money may be targeted for 2023. It should be interesting.

It all depends. With how bad the pitching has been in the last month+, there is a long way to go to be competitive. If Steele and Thompson can't keep the game close, that leaves Hendricks, Mills and Alzolay as the only SP options on the team, and the last two would need to be the 4th and 5th starters on a contending team (or 5th and 6th maybe).

The offense is less the problem, but I think Wisdom and Ortega have looked in spots on the team next year. The team still needs a whole new bullpen, multiple starters, a 1B and at least 1 OF - thats a lot of cash and not that many options out there to fill it. 2022 may be a punt, but with the money they have, would love to see the Cubs take a big swing on a long term guy like Correa that can be in Chicago through the next rebuild. The other option is the cubs could try to get some high dollar, low year contracts - I could easily see Greinke/Verlander/Scherzer taking 1-2 year deals and would immediately flip this team - then add in a couple big bats, 1 in the OF (Big Stick Nick), 1 in the IF (Correa) and then maybe grab Rizzo on a cheaper deal. Cubs would likely need $50-$60 million to sign the 2 SPs, $25 million a year for like 5 years for Nick and $35 million for like 7 years for Correa. They defs have the money and would be immediately be competitive and and still be under the luxury tax and would be able to get out of the SP contracts by 2023 or 2024 and hope they see something from Steele, Thompson, Marquez, Jensen, Killian, Stewart, Wicks, etc.

Having said that, I expect next year to be a full rebuild, but the Cubs will take a big swipe on someone, just not sure who yet.

Alzolay gets the W in relief. Clutch come from behind hitting. Cubs have owned the Pirates this year (12-4). A bright spot.

This year has been bad but I can always celebrate 6 in a row and back to back sweeps.

I've enjoyed watching this team now that the bullpen has been sorted out. A six game win streak has helped, even if it is against bottom dwellers. The players are having fun. Everyone is auditioning for next year, playing within their abilities. Happ and Heyward seem rejuvenated by the newbies and their play has improved. Good to see smiles in the dugout.

Was good to see Justin Steele have a really solid outing before plunking a few guys - but 5 great innings against a playoff-caliber team.

Pitching overall has been horrendous, not a lot of great starts, not a lot to like in middle relief. Backend of the pen has been a pleasant surprise, as Heuer looks like the pitcher he was in 2020 and what seemed like a throw-in on the dirty craig trade now looking like a real building block - and Rowan Wick is back looking like Rowan Wick. Both are controllable for a few more years too, which is real nice. Manny Rodriguez has also settled down and if he can start to generate some swings and misses on his fastball could be a great 7th inning guy.

Lets see if Frank the Tank can get his 5th straight winning RBI.

Cubs play spoiler taking 2 of 3 from the Reds. Got 3 series back to back to back with teams in the hunt - Giants, @Phillies and @Brewers. Hope we can take a bunch here.

The decision to bat Happ third (or fifth vs, LHP) is paying off. On fire. He is more aggressive and making contact. He seems to be taking cues from Ortega and Schwindell.

Heuer, Sampson, Rodriguez, Wick, Megill, Effross and Morgan have performed well in the bullpen the past 30 days. Opportunity knocks and they are having fun.

Sounds like one way or another, KB likely will remain on the west coast. Giants apparently have plenty of $.

I really want KB to come back.

Yes, me too. I suspect when it happens, it will be in a Greg Maddux/Joe Girardi (one might even say Jake Arrieta) chapter of his career. One last stint before his back gives out or he gets too rich to travel 100 days a year.

Back