• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

A trade for Ohtani would give the 1 year and likely the best shot at resigning him too.

Rumors swirling the Cubs are going to trade from their prospect list this offseason for MLB or MLB ready players. Tons of smoke that one of the big SS is going to be signed, whether that is Correa, or Bogaerts or Swanson or Turner - thats not going to cost prospects, at least (and I hope they dont get swayed by Swanson hot start to 2022). If they are going to spend big, figure they will go all in. Add Correa, add Ohtani - you are one big pitching acquisition and a 1B away from a competitive team. There are gonna be some big SPs available (Verlander, Rodon, Eovaldi, etc.) and some available for trade - 1B market is a question mark, but figure they can find someone (Jose Abreu would be a short commute over). Obviously bullpen is needed too, there are some guys here that can fill roles - Hughes, Farrell, Assad, Keegan, (even after last night) Uelman and ManRod - but definitely need another 2 reliable pieces.

Again, Cubs aren't that far off if they want to go all in - just a matter of what that does to the overall competitive window. I think PCA and Brennan shouldn't be moved - but there is a massive amount of OF talent in the Cubs minors, so you could trade from depth. Morel is likely staying, Velasquez is likely a AAAA guy at this point. Canario is at AAA and I have seen some reports tagging him as a very under the radar top prospect (he reminds me of a Franmil Reyes clone), Brennan will likely be back in AAA to start 2023, then there is a 1-2 year gap to PCA, Alcantara and Caissie - but thats 5 of the top 10 prospects being OFs.

The bullpen stinks now that the most attractive arms were traded. As Blackjack noted, they have blown would-be wins for just about every starter during the past several games. The pen must be addressed as well.

The front office has shown the ability to find and sign affordable, veteran bullpen pitchers during the off season. Alzolay, Steele and Thompson provide hope for depth as starters. Stroman and Hendricks have good track records. An Ace is needed. Find that and some veteran BP guys and pitching could become a strength, especially considering the farm system.

Hard to figure how the Cubs will approach position players. Signing Contreras and Happ would be helpful. That would allow the front office to concentrate on first base, third base and centerfield.

Morel is a nice story but I'm not convinced. He has the tools, a great attitude and will play anywhere. Placeholder in CF but his D needs big improvement.

Pencil in Matt Mervis at first base. Great numbers at every level. Average, power and RBI's. Try him and find out. Darius Hill has gone from rookie ball to Iowa in three years and has a .301/.347/.417 career to show for it. Could be an OF piece. Both players bat from the left side, an absolute need.

An ace and a star position player would be good free agent additions. I just don't see the front office depleting the roster for a year and a prayer with Ohtani.

Hayden Wesneski, the guy the Cubs got for Effross, gave up 12 runs in his first 5 2/3 innings in Iowa. Since then, he has given up 1 ER in 3 starts - 15 IP, 15 Ks. Sounds like he might have figured it out - his stats in AAA for the Yanks were pretty solid too. Looking like he will have a crack at the starting rotation next year - heck, maybe even a start or two in the bigs this year.

He does have some pretty strong political beliefs and good chance he isn't vaccinated, but thats neither here nor there.

Wesneski looked dominant last night against a pretty crappy Reds team. But, wow - the movement on his slider and change up is nasty - his fastball has good velo, but its hittable. His stuff is nasty all around. SSS and all, but dang.

I do believe Wesneski will be given another opportunity to further impress us at the major league level. There is some serious break to his slider and he had command of the lower left quadrant of the strike zone. Assad's stuff is not as impressive but he has shown some grit and toughness uncommon in a rookie.

With the expanded roster, gotta imagine he stays up for the remainder and give him the opportunity to start on long relieve to stay on a schedule.

Still dreaming about Cubs signing Correa and trading for Ohtani in the offseason and what this team would look like. Maybe just blow through the luxury tax line and drop $35 mil on 1 year of Verlander too. Still short a 1B, but can figure that out.

May not be Correa - David Kaplan went on air last night and said there is mutual interest from Trea Turner. That would be a great bat for this lineup, likely leaves Mads a man without a home, but thats probably ok, he can still get 100+ games in backing up 2B and DHing as Nico moves around the diamond. Would still like to see a big bat in the lineup, but maybe they think Reyes could be that guy - after a hot start has come back to reality.

The other name mentioned by Kaplan is Carlos Rodon, who is interested in the Cubs. I mean, that is a perfect fit, get him back in Chicago, a guy that can likely be had on a 4-5 year deal. He hasn't been as dominant as last year, but his K/9 is still insane - that swing and miss stuff is crazy.

Rodon, Stro, Steele and then Keegan, Sampson, Assad and Hendricks all sitting there. Smyly under contract too, but assuming he will not come back for the 1/$4.25 option, its possible, but he might get more on the open market. Ideally, the staff adds another top 4 starter, has Hendricks as SP5 and the other 3 are backup options, but I dont think you lose a competitive edge if thompson or sampson or assad have to be the 5th starter.

I'd love Trea Turner. Not a big power guy but great baserunner. When was the last serious base stealing threat the Cubs had? Don't think Reyes is the big bat answer. Maybe make due with 2-3 20 homer type guys like Happ and, well, Contreras (doubtful I know, for whatever inexplicable reason)? Yes please to Rodon as well. Quality lefty starters don't grow on trees.

Looks like turner has played only 1-2 full seasons in 9 mlb years. injury prone? https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/33710/trea-turner

Last edited:
Stroman, Thompson, Steele, Smiley, Miley, Sampson, Assad and Hendricks are a decent foundation of starters. Rodon would be a good addition.

As lefties, Miley and Smiley might have better money options but as mid 30's pitchers there won't be any multi year contracts offered. They have pitched well when available so make them an offer.

Absolute yes on Trea Turner. Madrigal, Hoerner and Morel can sort out who plays CF, 2B and 3B. Pencil in Matt Mervis at first base. Sign Happ (LF) and Contreras (C) for quality continuity. Suzuki in RF.

Some of the starters can flesh out relief. The front office knows how to identify and sign capable high leverage types.

Might just be competitive.

Thank you for sweeping the Mets!
Cubs pitching has been great in the 2nd half, nice to see the bats again. Was fun to get a sweep of the Mets, especially after blowing like 7 straight series because the Cubs couldn't score more than 2 runs. Been sporting some Cubs gear the last couple days, lots of Cubs Suck comments on the train haha.

Cubs pitching has continued to be strong last several games. Season sweep of Phils, whose fans have to be super pissed its wild card seeking team can’t beat the Cubs.

Biff, how can you NOT like the Cubs after seeing that video?!
A: A strong tradition of being wrong. That video rules. Biff can act like a tree and get out of here.

Who do the Cub fans pull for in this post season? Schwarbo trying to punch a hole through the Petco upper deck was pretty cool. Even though he's with the Evil Empire I can't quit Anthony Rizzo.

I was thinking about the 2016ers that were cut loose at the deadline in 2021. While I understood the moves at the time (and wish we'd dealt Willson and Happ this year for the same reasons), I wonder what those guys think now in hindsight. Is Kris Bryant happier in Colorado? Really? I know he's richer, but when you're already a decamillionaire in your 20s how much does the money on the margins matter? WGAS about Rockies baseball and their 94 losses this year (cf. Cubs @ 88)? Same with Baez. He was in Queens long enough to make the fans made and now he's nowhere that matters: Detroit lost 96 games.

Rizzo and Schwarber clearly landed on their feet, but are we 100% that the 2021 Cubs as-constructed wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2022?

Back