• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

While I still think this team lacks the depth needed to be a full on contender right now, at least in the division they still have a shot as they're 5 games out, not 15.

This team obviously has more pieces than the last couple of years. Swanson has been a really good signing. To say they have not made moves was fair for a while. I don't think that's a fair criticism now. Did they sign the right pieces so far is a fair question.

I don't advocate for this but you can trade Stroman and resign him. The FO takes a ton of flack in the media (real and social) but they do a very good job of communicating intentions to players. So if things do keep leaking from here to the trade deadline you could trade Stro. But if I were them I'd try to lock him up. How much depends on what the SP market looks like this offseason and how well you think Stro will age (I'm not sure on either).

After a horrid May, the Cubs are 10-7 in June, creeping back toward .500, and in the mix in the mediocre NL Central. Solid pitching, including Hendo's apparent return to form, and awakening bats. Next up, a trip to the UK to play the hated Cards on a field constructed solely for this two-game series. Seems kind of silly, but US professional sports teams love trying to find more revenue streams.

12-7 in June due to winning 10 of their last 12 games. The team has scored 74 runs in those 12 games and allowed 40. Hoerner (21), Happ (20), Morel (19) and Tauchman (18) are the top run producers and everyone is contributing. The pitching has been solid.

Offensively the lineup has hit to their career averages. Morel and Tauchman have been a nice surprise. Mancini and Madrigal are below their career numbers. All nine starters are hitting above .250. Mike Tauchman is the leader at .289. He has shown good defense and his numbers leading off are .361/.429/.583/1.012., good enough to get some run from Ross.

Morel is in a 1 for 20 slump over the past five games. His first slump was a 1 for 21 over 7 games. In his other 22 games he is 32 for 81 (.395) with 24 runs scored, 27 RBI's and 12 home runs. That embodies the description of streaky.

Looks like the Cubs have four quality starters. Unfortunately, only Alzolay, Leiter and Merryweather have been consistently good out of the pen. Rucker and Fulmer are trending better but haven't secured the trust of Ross. Wesneski has flashed in his two long relief stints. He should probably be starting but Taillon has the big contract so he will continue in a starting role. Keegan Thompson went to Iowa to build up arm strength for a return to long relief. Unfortunately, he has been so putrid (13.09 ERA) that he can't get the innings required to return from Iowa in any role. Codi Heuer (7,82), Brandon Hughes (10.13) and Rowan Wick (8.71) have the same problem. Guess misery does like company.

Given the lack of winning records in the NL Central, I'd like to see the team be given the opportunity to win the division if they continue to play well. I would make no effort to augment the team unless the price was right, nor would I trade off assets unless the deal was too good to take a pass. If this team can make a legitimate run for the Central title it would be a big step in the right direction.

12-7 in June due to winning 10 of their last 12 games. The team has scored 74 runs in those 12 games and allowed 40. Hoerner (21), Happ (20), Morel (19) and Tauchman (18) are the top run producers and everyone is contributing. The pitching has been solid.

Offensively the lineup has hit to their career averages. Morel and Tauchman have been a nice surprise. Mancini and Madrigal are below their career numbers. All nine starters are hitting above .250. Mike Tauchman is the leader at .289. He has shown good defense and his numbers leading off are .361/.429/.583/1.012., good enough to get some run from Ross.

Morel is in a 1 for 20 slump over the past five games. His first slump was a 1 for 21 over 7 games. In his other 22 games he is 32 for 81 (.395) with 24 runs scored, 27 RBI's and 12 home runs. That embodies the description of streaky.

Looks like the Cubs have four quality starters. Unfortunately, only Alzolay, Leiter and Merryweather have been consistently good out of the pen. Rucker and Fulmer are trending better but haven't secured the trust of Ross. Wesneski has flashed in his two long relief stints. He should probably be starting but Taillon has the big contract so he will continue in a starting role. Keegan Thompson went to Iowa to build up arm strength for a return to long relief. Unfortunately, he has been so putrid (13.09 ERA) that he can't get the innings required to return from Iowa in any role. Codi Heuer (7,82), Brandon Hughes (10.13) and Rowan Wick (8.71) have the same problem. Guess misery does like company.

Given the lack of winning records in the NL Central, I'd like to see the team be given the opportunity to win the division if they continue to play well. I would make no effort to augment the team unless the price was right, nor would I trade off assets unless the deal was too good to take a pass. If this team can make a legitimate run for the Central title it would be a big step in the right direction.
it's sort of a tough spot they're in. I agree on stand pat. They aren't good enough to really make a playoff run (baseball variance not withstanding) but they are in a lousy division. I don't envy Jed

Not much good to discuss the past week until yesterday. Cubs mostly finding ways to lose games.

I turned off the tube after 9 innings in disgust yesterday to eat dinner, only to return and discover the Cubs won in extra innings on two game saving throws by Ian Happ and two game saving catch and tags and an inning ending throw by Amaya.

Wiesneski to Iowa to get stretched out for a starting role. Has pitched well in long relief. Hopefully, Jameson Taillon to be demoted to the pen. Maybe the Cubs have learned to demote free agent acqusitions that bomb big time. Wiesneski's replacement, Daniel Palencia made good immediately with 2 shutout innings and the W yesterday. Throws 100+, so let's see. The bullpen went from hero to zero in the space of a week. Wholesale collapse.

Hated to see Madrigal injured. He was finally playing to his potential since returning from Iowa. Probably gives Morel an opportunity to play third full time. He has been streaky but his run production and power have been persistent.

I expect to see Ross play a veteran lineup this month.

Not much good to discuss the past week until yesterday. Cubs mostly finding ways to lose games.

I turned off the tube after 9 innings in disgust yesterday to eat dinner, only to return and discover the Cubs won in extra innings on two game saving throws by Ian Happ and two game saving catch and tags and an inning ending throw by Amaya.

Wiesneski to Iowa to get stretched out for a starting role. Has pitched well in long relief. Hopefully, Jameson Taillon to be demoted to the pen. Maybe the Cubs have learned to demote free agent acqusitions that bomb big time. Wiesneski's replacement, Daniel Palencia made good immediately with 2 shutout innings and the W yesterday. Throws 100+, so let's see. The bullpen went from hero to zero in the space of a week. Wholesale collapse.

Hated to see Madrigal injured. He was finally playing to his potential since returning from Iowa. Probably gives Morel an opportunity to play third full time. He has been streaky but his run production and power have been persistent.

I expect to see Ross play a veteran lineup this month.

Do you think they will put Morel at 3rd? I don’t feel like they trust him there at all

And if Madrigal at his best is the answer at third, then I don’t like the question. Just feels like this roster is really poorly constructed. Granted I’m not a Madrigal fan at all. Slappy hitters with poor baseball IQ just aren’t my thing.

They have some pieces but seems like they are in that ugly mediocre middle this year. Neither buyers nor sellers. Not a fun place to be. Hoping they can get hot in a bad NL Central

Think the Cubs want to find a position for Morel. Needs to field. Too much energy for DH. Third base was that position in Iowa. He has the speed for coverage and the arm in the outfield but hasn't shown the instincts. Poor jumps and poor routes thus far. Second and short are occupied.

Madrigal was OK since returning from Iowa. In 19 games he hit .328 and produced 17 runs hitting ninth. A contact hitter that can deliver with runners on base has value, especially with a .300+ average. Not the profile to seek in a third baseman but better than the options available the past two years. A producing Morel at 3B could help.

Last edited:
Cubs lose 2/3 at home to Red Sox. Got some decisions to make on Bellinger andStroman. Being sellers at trade deadline 3 straight years while management proclaims they are not rebuilding is not a good look. Particularly for a well financed, large market team.

It’s time to sell. Who on this team can you really see being part of the next Cubs championship contender? Happ and Hoerner? Nice pieces on a contender but not guys that carry you. Maybe Steele

It’s time to sell. Who on this team can you really see being part of the next Cubs championship contender? Happ and Hoerner? Nice pieces on a contender but not guys that carry you. Maybe Steele
I would add Swanson, Steele and Morel. Trade everyone else, and bring up all the young prospects. Then fire Ross and Hoyer after the season and start over with plenty of cap space and fresh ideas.

I would add Swanson, Steele and Morel. Trade everyone else, and bring up all the young prospects. Then fire Ross and Hoyer after the season and start over with plenty of cap space and fresh ideas.

I totally forgot about Swanson.
I’d consider trading Morel. He doesn’t have a position and you get some decent value for him.

I totally forgot about Swanson.
I’d consider trading Morel. He doesn’t have a position and you get some decent value for him.
I don't understand why they don't just throw him in left field for 2 weeks straight, and see what happens. Tell him he is going to play every game. Thats one thing i hate about ross, dudes will get hot, and he benches them. He did it to Morel this year when he had a HR streak on 5-6 games in a row, the get that Mascraboni fucker at bats hitting .186.

I don't understand why they don't just throw him in left field for 2 weeks straight, and see what happens. Tell him he is going to play every game. Thats one thing i hate about ross, dudes will get hot, and he benches them. He did it to Morel this year when he had a HR streak on 5-6 games in a row, the get that Mascraboni fucker at bats hitting .186.

The problem with putting him in LF is you have Happ in left. I’d like to see him at 3B and ride or die. They have nothing at 3rd anyway

I find it interesting that the Cubs' minor league coaches were not able to find a spot in the field Morel can play. He is athletic with a strong arm - why can't he find a position?

Try him in right and move Suzuki to center when Bellinger is traded or walks at year's end? I know PCA is lingering but may not be ready yet. If Suzuki keeps hitting ground balls, they may look to move him too. I'm joking, sort of...

The problem is the way this team is constructed they have no room for error. They built this team with a lock of power arms and power bats. Defense is improved with Swanson and Hoerner up the middle, but when you play the soft contact game you leave yourself open to more variance. It's why they have a Positive run differential but a lousy record. The variance of 1-run games has killed this team.

I feel like they tried to be smarter than everyone else by going for old school soft contact pitchers and slappy fast guys, thinking the world of baseball would change. It hasn't. Power is the currency of the realm

From the Athletic:

Astros GM Dana Brown has made it clear to other front offices that his team’s biggest needs are a proven starting pitcher and a left-handed-hitting first baseman/outfielder. The Cubs could have both available if they decide to sell at the deadline. Stroman is having a banner year, posting a 2.88 ERA over 20 starts, and he is expected to opt out of his contract after this season and hit free agency at age-32. Bellinger is a Comeback Player of the Year candidate who has slashed .311/.367/.527 with 12 homers and 12 steals. He plays above-average defense at first base and in all three outfield positions. He has a 2024 mutual option he will decline.

This type of huge rental blockbuster would cost the Astros dearly, in terms of extracting value from their farm system, but a trade like this would also position them to be able to catch the Rangers in the NL West and, more importantly, give them a legitimate shot at back-to-back-to-back World Series appearances. It would be reasonable for the Cubs to ask for righty starter Brandon Bielak off their major-league club and one of their top prospects, such as 22-year-old outfielder Drew Gilbert, Houston’s first-round pick last year, who would become the headliner for Chicago. Throw in a couple of lower-level prospects and perhaps a deal in this range would work.

From the Athletic:

Astros GM Dana Brown has made it clear to other front offices that his team’s biggest needs are a proven starting pitcher and a left-handed-hitting first baseman/outfielder. The Cubs could have both available if they decide to sell at the deadline. Stroman is having a banner year, posting a 2.88 ERA over 20 starts, and he is expected to opt out of his contract after this season and hit free agency at age-32. Bellinger is a Comeback Player of the Year candidate who has slashed .311/.367/.527 with 12 homers and 12 steals. He plays above-average defense at first base and in all three outfield positions. He has a 2024 mutual option he will decline.

This type of huge rental blockbuster would cost the Astros dearly, in terms of extracting value from their farm system, but a trade like this would also position them to be able to catch the Rangers in the NL West and, more importantly, give them a legitimate shot at back-to-back-to-back World Series appearances. It would be reasonable for the Cubs to ask for righty starter Brandon Bielak off their major-league club and one of their top prospects, such as 22-year-old outfielder Drew Gilbert, Houston’s first-round pick last year, who would become the headliner for Chicago. Throw in a couple of lower-level prospects and perhaps a deal in this range would work.
Dana Brown has said that Gilbert is untouchable (and I’m in on that, but we’ll see if he holds strong on it). I’d love to get Stroman (not so much Bellinger), but I wouldn’t be happy giving up Gilbert to get him.

Back