• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Cubs did the same shit to Rick Renteria when Joe Maddon became available - let's hope the outcomes are similar.

The Craig Counsell hire was a surprise.

I guess losing 15 of 22 to end the season has consequences, especially when it costs the post season. It serves as a memo to the players about management expectations

The Craig Counsell hire was a surprise.

I guess losing 15 of 22 to end the season has consequences, especially when it costs the post season. It serves as a memo to the players about management expectations
I think it was a unique opportunity. The best manager in baseball was a free agent and lives 90 minutes away…. This was about Counsell and not really much about Ross at all

Agree. And Ross deserves credit for the amazing performance from mid July to early September. However, do you think the Cubs make the same move if they made the playoffs? Maybe so.

Imanaga is small and doesn't throw hard, but he's a crafty lefty. Kind of like a slightly better Jamie Moyer (btw, Moyer was a solid MLB starter forever).

Cubs also swapped prospects with the Dodgers.

I like both moves. Imanaga has experience as a top shelf SP in Japan. The contract has flexibility and is affordable for someone who brings ace quality potential.

Busch joins Crow-Armstrong and Matt Mervis as potential starters in positions in need. If the free agent market doesn't supply veteran replacements at 1B, 3B or CF, those three players have shown their ability in the minors and could deserve an extended opportunity. Long term, they might be the best course of action.

If the free agent market doesn’t supply a veteran replacement at 1B and 3B, it will be because the front office didn’t want those players enough to pay them. The Cubs have plenty of money to spend like the large market team it is. I don’t dislike these trades based on what I know, but I will be disappointed if they don’t make bigger moves.

wow Jed finally got it done after playing chicken with Boras - 3 years, $80m. Thoughts Cubs fans? Can’t say I love player opt outs after years one and two, although very happy he’ll be back for 2024.

I'll take a year at a time. Bellinger will be well compensated and Hoyer kept the contract length reasonable. It gives the team a critical piece for the playoff puzzle and the clubhouse mix. Just hope he can replicate last season. An answer at either 1B or CF and his flexibility allows two rookies to get AB's or one to blossum in a full time role.

David Peralta and Dominic Smith signed to minor league deals. Both offer LH hitting depth. Insurance policies if the kids in the minors require more seasoning.

The Cubs haven't changed much from last year. The only new starters on the field are Busch at 1B and Morel at 3B. If Morel can't cut it defensively, Wisdom and Madrigal can step in. If Busch falters, Mervis may get another opportunity and Cooper is a seasoned veteran. Cooper and Peralta would both be good additions but adding them to the roster means someone has to go. Much to be determined.

Like most years, the quality of this team will be determined by the pitching. I like Assad and Wick getting early starts while Taillon is out. Assad has been solid the past two seasons and Wick showed well last September and this spring. Bullpen should be better. Little and Smiley give the bullpen two LHP to start the season. That's a big plus. There are a lot of arms close to ready in Iowa, so pitching depth appears possible. The stars aren't as bright as in 2016, but the defense is better and the lineup may be longer. I'm quietly optimistic.

I read through the last two pages. Craig Counsell as the Cubs manager is a move that hasn't registered for me. He is so familiar over such a long period of time. When I actually think about it he was a pain in the ass for the Cubs. He kept the Brewers in the playoff chase with rosters that seldom impressed me. Seemed to enjoy stealing wins from Chicago and made the Brewers a rival second only to the Cardinals. Watching his performance should prove interesting.

Back