• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicken

Cool story, and one I can relate to. Growing up on a family farm, this is much more like the farming I know.

Reactions: Go
For real chicken in the Charlotte area:
http://www.eastofedenfarm.com/

Not just raised well (100% pastured, non-GMO & non-soy diet), but also good genetics. Heritage breed Buckeye broilers and Australorp layers.

Grass fed beef as well.

Good article. Worth the read. Thanks.

"Two of the state's biggest universities, the University of Georgia and Georgia Institute of Technology, have departments devoted to poultry science and food processing,"

This is the highest and best calling for UGA grads.

I would also say that article contains more investigative reporting and better writing than anything I've seen in the AJC in years, decades maybe.

good article, thanks. Polyface ftw

Polyface, while they raise them well, still raise birds with shit genetics IMO. Don't get me wrong, he's doing an amazing job...the type of bird he raises is the only real negative thing I can find with his entire operation. He still raises birds that are bred to grow at unnatural pace that causes them pain, broken legs, health issues, etc and who's genetics must be purchased from one of a couple corporations who own their patent. The birds he raises can't be bred and raised on farm, for both legal reasons (patent) and genetic reasons (too many crosses in the genetic line...no telling what you'd get if you bred them). They don't really forage like a heritage breed bird, and thus, aren't as nutritious either.

So applying this logic to canibalism, roided out body builders would just be meh, they wouldn't taste like anything.

So applying this logic to canibalism, roided out body builders would just be meh, they wouldn't taste like anything.

I realize it's a joke, but no. Poultry in the US is not fed steroids or hormones (it's not legal)...they achieve their crazy and unhealthy growth rates through genetics. The chickens from the "industry" are literally bred not to act like chickens. They don't fly, roost and most importantly, they don't forage. They are lazy and only eat the food put right in front of them, which limits how good they can be for you. After a few weeks they can barely walk anyway, even if they wanted to forage, because their breasts grow faster than their bones can keep up. They mostly just sit in their own feces in front of the feeder and wait for food. A pastured chicken that forages and grows slower will have more micro nutrients and minerals as a result of their diet and a longer time spent eating various foods.

So, ultimately, it would depend less on what the roided out body builder takes and more on what he eats to build those muscles. If they roids cause him to have a very limited diet and to be eaten early in his life (a heritage breed chicken grows out for 126+ days before processing...a genetically engineered chicken goes from birth to a package in 37 days), then yes, he would have limited nutritional value to a cannibal.

And yes, I've learned entirely too much about poultry over the last 2 years. The more I learned, the more disgusted I became and the less I wanted my kids growing up eating the shit our farming industry now produces and calls food. It's no wonder, IMO, that we've seen such a spike in gut related health problems in the span of a generation or two. Our grandparents could eat bacon everyday and still be healthy, in part, because the pig they were eating was healthy. That's just not the case with the mass produced poultry, pork and beef (or even the vegetables in many cases) we buy in the stores now.

Last edited:
Polyface, while they raise them well, still raise birds with shit genetics IMO. Don't get me wrong, he's doing an amazing job...the type of bird he raises is the only real negative thing I can find with his entire operation. He still raises birds that are bred to grow at unnatural pace that causes them pain, broken legs, health issues, etc and who's genetics must be purchased from one of a couple corporations who own their patent. The birds he raises can't be bred and raised on farm, for both legal reasons (patent) and genetic reasons (too many crosses in the genetic line...no telling what you'd get if you bred them). They don't really forage like a heritage breed bird, and thus, aren't as nutritious either.

link? NM, covered in the wiki. That explains his pricing, which is significantly less than a farmers market bird. Thanks!

The portlandia episode regarding the origins of the chicken they're buying is funny... because it's kind of true. that level of "where did it come from" scrutiny is becoming more important as the genetics tech industry keeps changing the animals we eat.

I realize it's a joke, but no. Poultry in the US is not fed steroids or hormones (it's not legal)...they achieve their crazy and unhealthy growth rates through genetics. The chickens from the "industry" are literally bred not to act like chickens. They don't fly, roost and most importantly, they don't forage. They are lazy and only eat the food put right in front of them, which limits how good they can be for you. After a few weeks they can barely walk anyway, even if they wanted to forage, because their breasts grow faster than their bones can keep up. They mostly just sit in their own feces in front of the feeder and wait for food. A pastured chicken that forages and grows slower will have more micro nutrients and minerals as a result of their diet and a longer time spent eating various foods.

Poultry in the US is bred to be American. That's what I'm getting from this post.

Last edited:
welp. guess i'll be upping my veggie dinner nights, so i can afford the $4 lb chicken instead of the $.99. THANKS OBAMA

Back