• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Choosing Churches

I grew up in a PCA church, which was just right of Calvin and Hitler, both religiously and politically. After my folks relocated to a different city, I was pleased to hear they were going to a United Presbyterian church.

First off I am in Spartanburg, SC. We were actually all set to join a Presbyterian church where we knew a lot of folks and enjoyed the service when this particular church withdrew from its diocesis as it felt they were moving too far left by letting gays become reverends and assistant reverends. This was another issue of placing politics into the church and really pissed me off.

Yeah, if you're looking for a new church, I would avoid PC USA (https://www.pcusa.org/) for now, just because it's such a powder keg of politics. Let things settle if you're not already entrenched into a congregation IMO.

The distinction between Episcopalian and Anglican is complicated (they technically are part of the same worldwide organization), but I think a local/smaller Anglican congregation may appeal to you guys. Retains a lot of the structure, liturgy, etc that you'd be used to, but often it's expressed in a more contemporary/casual way. The teaching will tend to be more biblically conservative than the typical Episcopalian church, but it isn't usually expressed in a political way in the Anglican churches/missions I've attended. Keep in mind, there are some pretty big theological differences between Baptist and most every other denomination...that might be something to consider.

could also check out a Lutheran Church.

This is a good suggestion. Theologically, (ELCA) Lutheran and Episcopal are very similar. Lutherans have better music though.

The distinction between Episcopalian and Anglican is complicated (they technically are part of the same worldwide organization), but I think a local/smaller Anglican congregation may appeal to you guys. Retains a lot of the structure, liturgy, etc that you'd be used to, but often it's expressed in a more contemporary/casual way. The teaching will tend to be more biblically conservative than the typical Episcopalian church, but it isn't usually expressed in a political way in the Anglican churches/missions I've attended. Keep in mind, there are some pretty big theological differences between Baptist and most every other denomination...that might be something to consider.

I'm by no means an expert, but it seems that the "American Anglican" churches are typically more conservative Anglican churches that broke away from Episcopal churches when we began allowing women to be priests in the 70s.

Yeah, if you're looking for a new church, I would avoid PC USA (https://www.pcusa.org/) for now, just because it's such a powder keg of politics. Let things settle if you're not already entrenched into a congregation IMO.

That all depends - b/c one of the cornerstones of Baptist polity is the autonomy of the local church, each church can be VERY different on emphasis, interpretation, style, and lots of other things. Although, I will say SBC churches in the South have settled into a pretty distinct flavor of their own and are becoming more denominationally homogenous.

I grew up in a PCA church, which was just right of Calvin and Hitler, both religiously and politically.

It's definitely the way the denomination leans as a whole, but because it's a denomination that does a lot of church planting, there's quite a bit of internal reformation going on regarding race, justice, mercy, etc. I would definitely recommend smaller, younger PCA churches over long-time established PCA (the "First Pres" types of the world). Probably not an optimal choice for the OP, but I brought it up because at the right church you can get a good mix of liturgy that would help satisfy an Epsicopalian while being a little more conservative in their interpretation of the scripture that would be more comfortable for a SBC. And because I attend and could recommend specific churches in specific cities that aren't your traditional old/white/conservative type church.

That all depends - b/c one of the cornerstones of Baptist polity is the autonomy of the local church, each church can be VERY different on emphasis, interpretation, style, and lots of other things. Although, I will say SBC churches in the South have settled into a pretty distinct flavor of their own and are becoming more denominationally homogenous.

True, I should have said SBC in specific. Beliefs on baptism, Israel, very American views on "free choice" and democratic leadership, and views/interpretations of Revelation have been pretty big sticking points, or at least pretty eye opening changes of heart, for former SBC members I've known (including myself) who just assumed all denominations were similar on those items.

True, I should have said SBC in specific. Beliefs on baptism, Israel, very American views on "free choice" and democratic leadership, and views/interpretations of Revelation have been pretty big sticking points, or at least pretty eye opening changes of heart, for former SBC members I've known (including myself) who just assumed all denominations were similar on those items.

True, the conservative takeover of the SBC seminaries is really beginning to trickle down to the local churches which seem to galvanize the more conservative elements. Honestly, maybe not surprisingly, I think the state of the GOP and the SBC is very similar. The more right wing voices are the loudest and get catered to more than the more moderate voices, which in turn pushes more moderate people away. And just like the GOP, you have many sane, reasonable people who have a conservative view whose voices get shouted down by the overloud zealots. Traditionally, Baptist have been a "non-creedal" people, but since the rework of the Baptist Faith and Message, it has worked as a litmus test/creed for Baptist and many churches draw an even smaller circle around what would be considered orthodox.

Picking out the Moonz tags is just too easy at his point...

How far apart are your thetan levels?

Last edited:
You're doing this wrong.

Find a church you like, where you feel welcome, where you feel comfortable in the service, where you could see yourself getting involved in the good things they do, and where you could see yourself making friends.
Then check to make sure the theology doesn't completely rub you the wrong way. Remember that all the people in a church don't believe the exact same thing, nor should they.
IOW, don't get so hung up in denominations.

Check out ECO-Presbyterian. I hadn't been to church since the mid-80s, and never in my life went voluntarily. (I grew up Catholic. Then tried my wife's traditional Presbyterian and Methodist services, but just couldn't bring myself to sit through the services. I would rather drive a dull pencil through my head than listen to choir music) However, I am impressed with the service and the congregation developing at the church we have been going to for the past several months. I actually look forward to going. Never thought that would happen in my lifetime.

This coming from the religious guy who delights in posting about the most recent girl he has nailed at the Crossfit gym.

Every girl I know that does CF has self esteem issues so probably a target rich environment.

try something nondenominational. I have heard good things about Restoration Church but haven't ever been there. The music and vibe are different but it might be what your wife is looking for.

A bit late to the thread, so here are some thoughts.

He lives in SC.
Episcopalians in SC are harder to come by. The entire Diocese of SC left the Episcopal Church. There are a few places that have come back (and a few that never left), but they're short on resources. That being said, if you're drawn to the Episcopal Church, they really could use you down there.

As an aside, whoever thinks Episcopal music is all that great must love opera or something as its easily the most boring stuff I have ever heard and the Epicopals love to sing not only hymns but also verses.
Anglicanism has the best musical tradition in Christendom (and it's really not that debatable, unless you say that guitars/drums should be included, but sort of like being a saint, I think we need to let history be the judge, not modern fads). That being said, I've been in many an Episcopal Church that doesn't properly tap into that tradition, or even use the breadth of the approved hymnals of The Episcopal Church- there are 3 and most churches only use one (and probably only 2/3 of that one).

Yeah, if you're looking for a new church, I would avoid PC USA for now, just because it's such a powder keg of politics. Let things settle if you're not already entrenched into a congregation IMO.

Sadly, yes- PCUSA is about to have some fighting; The Episcopal Church did it about a decade ago.

This is a good suggestion. Theologically, (ELCA) Lutheran and Episcopal are very similar. Lutherans have better music though.

I'm by no means an expert, but it seems that the "American Anglican" churches are typically more conservative Anglican churches that broke away from Episcopal churches when we began allowing women to be priests in the 70s.
You traitor!
That's mostly right- the few exceptions are churches that are actually older than the Episcopal Church/USA. I actually serve one of those right now (founded in 1753), and though we call ourselves an Episcopal Church, I've seen some that have kept the more "traditional" Anglican nomenclature.

You're doing this wrong.

Find a church you like, where you feel welcome, where you feel comfortable in the service, where you could see yourself getting involved in the good things they do, and where you could see yourself making friends.
Then check to make sure the theology doesn't completely rub you the wrong way. Remember that all the people in a church don't believe the exact same thing, nor should they.
IOW, don't get so hung up in denominations.
While it's not bad advice, it reflects a very consumeristic approach to faith. It's a place where American society has crept into American Christendom and, in my opinion, infected it. Worship isn't about us, it's about God- so I wouldn't suggest looking for a place that you like, but rather a place that allows you to worship most fully. And I think that takes a blend of comfort and being challenged. A church that is all comfortable won't lead to growth, and a church that is all challenging won't lead to being nurtured in faith, you need both. I tend to think the Episcopal Church does that well- but it really depends on the priest and ethos of the particular congregation.

To OP- Good luck and prayers for your search/discernment.

Back