• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Jones added to Clawson staff

jaybone

Reaction score
Great add. Played for Clawson at Bowling Green; played for Patriots in Super Bowl.

While a D-lineman, not the Chris Jones that was called for the BS "roughing the passer" penalty in the 4th quarter this past Sunday.

While a D-lineman, not the Chris Jones that was called for the BS "roughing the passer" penalty in the 4th quarter this past Sunday.

Don't get me started on so many of the calls in both games. I would rather the games be reffed by audio AI piped in through the stadium sound system. And I want my AI voice to sound like Thandi Newton so I can be mildly aroused by NFL penalties. Will make watching highly penalized teams exciting rather than annoying. Might need to occasionally switch to Thandi Newton hologram though for best effect. Or the woman from Ex Machina

Great add. Played for Clawson at Bowling Green; played for Patriots in Super Bowl.

This is great news. His experience - all the way to the Super Bowl - should be great for the players, especially the D linemen.
We have a really good staff now.
Hope they stick together for a while. Should be fun.

All Hail Clawson, another great hire by our stellar football coach

All Hail Clawson, another great hire by our stellar football coach

It's hard to believe Clawson and Manning are physically on the same campus and work under the same boss. It just could not be more opposite.

Pretty big whiff on the biggest hire he’s made here with Sawvel, though.

Sawvel looked good on paper and Clawson fired him midseason and righted the ship. I don’t fault him for that at all.

I agree, but still a pretty big miss I think. I don’t know why, but it seemed a little odd at the time anyway. He owned his call though.

Sawvel looked good on paper and Clawson fired him midseason and righted the ship. I don’t fault him for that at all.

Sawvel had a good D his last season at Minn
Seemed like a good pickup at the time, but he sure didn't get anything close to that happening at Wake. I sure don't know why he didn't click at Wake, but he sure didn't.

Clawson's handling of Sawvel should be a case study in crisis management. He moved aggressively to get deeply involved to determine defensive problems, identified the problem, cut his losses and fired a failing employee while at the same time promoting those he thought could lead the defense. He got us to a bowl with an improving defense. Damn near a miracle. It was a beautiful thing.

Clawson's handling of Sawvel should be a case study in crisis management. He moved aggressively to get deeply involved to determine defensive problems, identified the problem, cut his losses and fired a failing employee while at the same time promoting those he thought could lead the defense. He got us to a bowl with an improving defense. Damn near a miracle. It was a beautiful thing.

I was going to write something, but didn't need to........well said!

Yeah, I completely agree with all that and shouldn't bring the negative vibes into this thread welcoming this dude, I hope he does well. But 10 win seasons don't grow on trees at Wake, and a D Coordinator is basically one of the two/three big hires you need to make, right, so I'm sure Clawson is kicking himself (maybe; maybe he's breezy about it, but doesn't strike me as that kind of dude) that he got that one wrong.

Very well said and such a stark contract to our BB program that has been in crisis for almost 10 years (and clearly the last 2 years) and the orchestra is still playing on the deck as if all is well....

And might have found a diamond in the rough DC in Hemphill while at it.

Back