• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Mack - Legitimate Target

At this point is it Shaka/Marshall or LOWF? Because that's stupid. We're going after Shaka but it's always been a long shot and that has little to do with Wake.

Didn't say that. I'm saying there's Shaka/Marshall and then a whole bunch of "others". My point is let's at least TRY HARD to get either big name and leave it "on the field".

If, as you report, we are in fact going after Shaka, then so be it.

I'm just saying let's PLEASE go big on this hire or, at the least, give it our best shot.

Like the hire or not, Howland + $$$ is the opposite of LOWF

Word. Mack's record at Xavier is better than any 5-year stint Amaker has had at any one place, Mack is a few years younger, and Mack has prior coaching ties to Wake, but for some reason I think I'd prefer Amaker. It's close, though.

I think I'd rather you stop throwing Mack under the BUS.

Just read the X board. I can't believe Wake Forest - fucking Wake Forest - is being called "nowhere's land," "a little better than Virginia Tech," etc...

Has anyone ever been more derelict in his job responsibilities than Ron Wellman? Sure, we're chronic underachievers...but for decades we were a top job. In four years, Ron Wellman has destroyed not just our basketball program, but all the good work done by people like Dave Odom and Skip Prosser. I'm so fucking pissed off right now. It's one thing to read that a coach you want isn't interested, but it's another when mouth breathers from around the country are mocking us. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
We were called that by X fans (and others) when going after Skip and also when the Pitt job opened and Skip was a target.....so I'm not sure I understand your outrage. We haven't had a lot of post-season success and pre-Bz were called one of the (if not THE) biggest NCAA tourny underachievers.

Chris Mack should be on our list of 5-10 candidates

Yes. Mack as a floor at #5 or so is a great floor. Young, very good recruiter, Sweet 16 appearances. He's a very good coach and a very good fit for Wake.

I will say this, if/when we strike out on Shaka, I really have no fucking idea who is best for Wake Forest right now among Howland, Amaker, Mack and Miller. Pros and cons to all of them. Seems kind of like a crapshoot. I do think all of those 4 guys could be successful at Wake and if any of them are the worst case scenario, I'd say we're in pretty good shape.

How many coaches have we hired with 2 Sweet 16 appearances?

Right or wrong, we lump Mack with Skip/Dino and assume that we'll get the same brand of basketball with Mack. As others have said, I think we would all have a very different attitude towards him had he not been an assistant here.

I do recall that Mack was instrumental in teaching good defense. Hence, why we just didn't play defense the year after he left in 2004-2005. What I think is weird is that he left Wake in the Spring of 2004 to go back to Xavier to be the top assistant. Thad had left to go to tOSU and Miller took over and wanted Mack on the staff. He was the 3rd assistant on the Wake staff behind Battle and Dino. I get it, its better to be top assistant than 3rd assistant, but why leave to still be an assistant at an A10 school when you could have stayed and been on the staff of a team that many predicted was going to win the national championship? It just seems weird to me...maybe its similar to Troy Calhoun and that he just didn't like Winston and wanted to get back home...looks like he and his wife are both from Ohio as well...seems like it would have to be a great opportunity to get them to leave Cincy...don't know if that is necessarily a place that he already spent 3 years at and 2 of his coaching mentors have some complicated history there....not to mention working for the man who fired one of his mentors...

Also have to remember that X was his alma mater, so that probably played a part.

Daddy Mack! or was that Mack Daddy?

Wellman's plan: Hire Mack now. Go back to Xavier and hire Kelsey when Mack's contract is up in 4-5 years. Retire to Ohio.

Back