• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Citigroup settles stinky mortgages suit for $7 Billion

Deacon923

Scooter Banks
Reaction score
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/citigroup-and-u-s-reach-7-billion-mortgage-settlement/

The Justice Department, however, rejected that argument, emphasizing instead what it saw as Citigroup’s level of culpability based on emails and other evidence it had uncovered.

“Despite the fact that Citigroup learned of serious and widespread defects among the increasingly risky loans they were securitizing, the bank and its employees concealed these defects, ’’ Mr. Holder said.

He said the settlement on Monday did not absolve “Citigroup or its individual employees” from facing future criminal charges.

Won't hold my breath on that last part.

BofA is next.

Yep, I agree. One of the worst things Obama has failed at is holding Wall Street responsible . There should be dozens, if not hundreds of bankers and brokers in jail doing major time right now. The banks who did it should have been broken up and banned from doing any securities forever.

Yep, I agree. One of the worst things Obama has failed at is holding Wall Street responsible . There should be dozens, if not hundreds of bankers and brokers in jail doing major time right now. The banks who did it should have been broken up and banned from doing any securities forever.

agreed

Now armed drones buzzing Wall Street might be something...

What law was broken such that so many people should be in jail?

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know who and what could be prosecuted to letter of the law, but fraud, improperly executed and documented mortgages/loans/financing, etc., insider trading, false accounting, misrepresenting underlying asset value, back dating financial documents, SEC disclosure rules, improper accounting. Again, I'm not a lawyer but something in that realm has to be against some law somewhere right LK? Honestly asking btw.

Back