• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Appreciation

Grobe did not get run out of town - far from it. He overstayed his utility by at least 2 years. His issue was replacing excellent coaches with inadequate ones, and tolerating a completely incompetent OC for a decade. Small wonder that no decent skill players wanted to come to Wake. Lastly, got super lazy with recruiting.

Certainly glad he was lazy enough to get Serigne, Wolford, Duke, Wendell Dunn, and Marquell Lee in 2013.

And

I agree that his patience/tolerance of bad assistant coaches is what did him in. I've stated this many times, but he lost a lot of good assistants, because they were good assistants and got better jobs. It's probably not easy asking someone to come in and be O coordinator or D coordinator at Wake Forest. and finding top talent there. I'm sure he could have tried something though. A hot offense at Elon, or Coastal, an assistant looking to move to P5. Try something, sure. I'm also on record saying I think Lobo was not as bad as people thing. But I realize that's unpopular.

The biggest question for a big time program is whether or not the fans will be patient enough for Clawson to do a "ground-up" rebuild as he has done at every stop?

That is somewhat coupled with a "could Clawson do it in 2-3 years?" question since Nebraska is theoretically a pretty good landing spot for a lot of recruits to expedite the process.

UCLA will get Kelly. Arkansas seems like a terrible job. Nebraska could be a good gig, but since moving to Big 10, they have had trouble recruiting the same fertile Texas and Oklahoma grounds they used to get a lot of recruits from. I think he could do better if/when he decides to leave.

My buddy is a Nebraska fan and it seems with some recent coaching hires, they’ve been able to dive into the California recruiting area and have a lot of (offensive) talent incoming

Let's just hope Wake gives Clawson the raise that he deserves. Surely with ACC money we can manage to keep him pretty satisfied financially. If he wants a higher profile job or a place that's easier to recruit to, then we'll have to just wish him well.

Last edited:
I don't know what to expect. AS good as we were against Louisville, second half against Syracuse, for 3 quarters against NC State, We were just as bad against App State, 2nd half of Ga Tech, 3 quarters against Clemson, and 4th quarter of Florida State. The passing game is the best I've seen at Wake Forest. We have some scary WRs. We have a senior QB (Not recruited by Clawson) that is firing on all cylinders, an NFL DE, an NFL TE, and the defense plays lights out in spurts. There's certainly room for improvement, but Grobe had all those things as well at times. and he ended up getting run out of town. If he can continue to consistently recruit, coach, and improve, I'm all in. But lets not anoint him the greatest thing ever, yet.

When folks get really close to the previous regime it is hard to let go. I know all too well. I have friends who loved Grobe and he deserved and deserves much affection. He's a very good person, very good. I try not to let that cloud my judgement of the new situation whether I'm comparing a Hatch to a Hearn or a Hooks to a Wellman.
Clawson is very good at pushing his work towards an upward trajectory in my opinion, and I may be awfully wrong but his time I think not.

My buddy is a Nebraska fan and it seems with some recent coaching hires, they’ve been able to dive into the California recruiting area and have a lot of (offensive) talent incoming

Read an interview a couple of weeks ago with their new AD and he doesn't seem to like this strategy. He believes that there's plenty of talent in Nebraska for a lot of the roster and recruiting elsewhere should be done to fill in the gaps. Also appears to want a coach that's familiar with the area.

Does Nebraska have that much talent?

The Rivals Top 5 from Nebraska is a 4*, two 3*, and two 2*.

https://n.rivals.com/ranks/3074

By comparison, NC has 15 4* players.

Yeah I didn't think there's a lot of talent there either but that's what he said.

ETA: he seems somewhat old school in his approach at Nebraska. Hired Leach at WSU and seems to view each school and conference as being unique, requiring a different approach that fits a particular school in that particular conference.

I agree with that, but they're gonna need a pipeline. Being on an island on the western edge of the Big 10 instead of connected to the Big 12 has to be a big recruiting disadvantage. Works for Penn State on the other side because the population is so much larger with less competition and they can dip into the southern states easily whenever they want.

Last edited:
Let's just hope Wake gives Clawson the raise that he deserves. Surely with ACC money we can manage to keep him pretty satisfied financially. If he wants a higher profile job or a place that's easier to recruit to, then we'll have to just wish him well.

Agreed. If Clawson did decide to leave, no hard feelings here as I completely understand what Wake is in the football world especially when the bigger schools come knocking at your door. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Until then he's ours and I for damn sure love the job he's doing at Wake and think he is a great fit here. Give the man a raise!!!

Back