• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

One of the problems in this situation is that Wolford is not a great run option qb. I wonder if the staff ever considered bringing in Hinton in these situations.

Yeah, that won't signal anything to the defense or anything. Purdue game all over again.

A good run option qb, like Hinton, isn't going to have tendencies regarding handing it off vs keeping it that the defense can key on and is going to make the decision more quickly. So the play will be neither predictable nor slow developing. Cutcliffe had a good deal of success in the past when he brought in his running option quarterback in situations like this. Plenty of teams have used situational qb play very effectively.

Last edited:
Typically, Cutcliffe used a big bruising QB to run the ball straight down hill in goal line situations. He didn't really use his running QB to deploy the option or to throw.

Asking a lot of Hinton to throw him into a 4th and one in the final quarter after sitting for the entire game.

Also, in the first quarter, GT went for it on 4th down (with an option QB) and got thrown for a loss. For the game, GT and WF went 0 for 4th downs. All with different play-calls and offensive philosophies.

Last edited:
I agree that would have wanted to develop this philosophy earlier in the year so that it wouldn't be a surprise to anybody and Hinton would be ready for it. But I think he has a very strong skill set in this regard and would be a good situational quarterback for these types of situations.

Generally, there isn't a perfect playcall. I assumed that on the last 4th down, we would see the zone-read that got Wolford the TD in the 1st half. It is possible his shoulder injury didn't allow for that.

Just re-watched the game. We actually used the middle of the field a lot more often than usual on a few slants, and the RPO/shallow post. Wolford did make a couple really bad reads that could have been picked, and missed Serigne several times 1 on 1 deep over the middle on a LB.

I think Wake should install some option plays, but not become an option team. We definitely have the personnel to do it.

I played in a wing T hybrid offense in high school and a lot of the plays are really simple to execute. Just incorporate a hand full of plays into our running game where the lineman cut one way and 1 guard pulls the opposite direction, fake the dive to Carney and pitch it to Hines in motion.

I think if Wake ran its normal offense, but mixed in a few plays like that, then it would make a difference.

The thing that really blew up that play was the penetration from the outside getting around our edge blocker.

We tried throwing on 4th and 3 and 4th and 4 and weren't successful. If we had tried to run outside on 4th and 1, everybody would have freaked out.

Maybe try to get Carney to the line quicker, but at some point, you have to be able to run up the middle on 4th and 1 if you want to be worth a damn and get a yard.

No way we were going to get a yard against that front. Had to get out of that play and didn’t.

The 2nd half was really poor on both sides of the ball.

I feel as though we took a big step backwards and that includes the coaches.

The numbers are likely to drop, but we're averaging 29.7 ppg (58/130) and 399 yards per game thus far.

In his four years with the greatest QB in WFU history, Lobo got us:
2006- 21.6 ppg (78/119), 307 ypg
2007- 27.8 ppg (60/120), 340 ypg
2008- 21.0 ppg (95/120), 308 ypg
2009- 26.3 ppg (66/120), 403 ypg

For the record, the 2007 scoring numbers were padded by an incredible 9 defensive or return touchdowns (3 Curry, 3 Smith, 1 M. Robinson, 1 Moore PR, 1 Marion KR). In 2006, we had 3 such touchdowns, 3 in 2008, and 2 in 2009. Only one so far this year (Bassey against BC)

2005 ACC POY. I'd check out his first three years as well. 2003-2005

at this rate, it appears that in 500 years humanity will look back upon Lobo as the Da Vinci of his time. mark it down.

2005 ACC POY. I'd check out his first three years as well. 2003-2005

2003 - 27.72 (50)
2004 - 20.91 (93)
2005 - 24.45 (71) With the ACC POY

Not sure if your point.

Yep- as good as the 1st half was, the 2nd half was so disappointing. :(

You could post this on just about any game thread. Happens every week. FSU game is another prime example. Our offense doesn't respond at all to defensive adjustments.

Back