• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

His time management at the end of the game was superb.

I think I've posted this before, but this is just the kind of guy Clawson is. I have a friend who played football at Bowling Green for Clawson, and he was not an impact player so to speak. After he graduated Clawson would occasionally call him, almost out of the blue, for years afterward just to make sure he was adjusting to life after football. He was in DC randomly and remembered to check in with him and took him to dinner a couple years ago. Bunch of other players he knew had similar experiences. Remember his reaction to the Colbert slight? Dude is genuine, if nothing else.

The strangest thing to me is that I occasionally work with an ex wake football player who told me that clawson was like a robot and Grobe was all personality which seems to be the opposite to me. Of course he was a Grobe player and probably loves coach.

The strangest thing to me is that I occasionally work with an ex wake football player who told me that clawson was like a robot and Grobe was all personality which seems to be the opposite to me. Of course he was a Grobe player and probably loves coach.

I've shared this before but it really speaks to the kind of man Dave Clawson is- in 2016, my dad (a '65 Wake grad) had been feeling sick most of the summer. We realized that he was really feeling bad when he decided not to go to the Wake-Tulane season opener. He ended up in the ER on Labor Day and was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. He went downhill rapidly over the next few weeks. Not only that but I was going through a job change and my family was moving. The only thing that was a distraction from it all was Wake football. My 10 year old and I went to all the games, sitting in my dad's seats that he bought before he got sick. My dad died on October 27. I went to the Wake-Army game that weekend. It was rough but I knew that my dad would have wanted me to go. The fight song started playing before kickoff and I'm sitting there just crying. Anyway, after the great ending to the season, winning the Military Bowl, I wrote Clawson a letter, telling him about my dad and thanking him for the football season and how much it meant to me. This was in January of 2017. I didn't really expect to hear anything back from him.

But one day last fall, my cell phone rang and since it was a WS number, I answered it. And it was Clawson. He called to tell me how much he appreciated my letter and that he had been waiting until that week to call because it was the 1 year anniversary of my dad's death and he knew it would be a tough week for me. And he offered me tickets to the Wake-Louisville game.

Dave Clawson is a great football coach and an even better human being.

I've shared this before but it really speaks to the kind of man Dave Clawson is- in 2016, my dad (a '65 Wake grad) had been feeling sick most of the summer. We realized that he was really feeling bad when he decided not to go to the Wake-Tulane season opener. He ended up in the ER on Labor Day and was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. He went downhill rapidly over the next few weeks. Not only that but I was going through a job change and my family was moving. The only thing that was a distraction from it all was Wake football. My 10 year old and I went to all the games, sitting in my dad's seats that he bought before he got sick. My dad died on October 27. I went to the Wake-Army game that weekend. It was rough but I knew that my dad would have wanted me to go. The fight song started playing before kickoff and I'm sitting there just crying. Anyway, after the great ending to the season, winning the Military Bowl, I wrote Clawson a letter, telling him about my dad and thanking him for the football season and how much it meant to me. This was in January of 2017. I didn't really expect to hear anything back from him.

But one day last fall, my cell phone rang and since it was a WS number, I answered it. And it was Clawson. He called to tell me how much he appreciated my letter and that he had been waiting until that week to call because it was the 1 year anniversary of my dad's death and he knew it would be a tough week for me. And he offered me tickets to the Wake-Louisville game.

wow. thank you for sharing

Funny, I recently did some work with a guy who played 1 year under Grobe and finished his career with Claw. He said the level of intensity between the 2 wasn't even close. He said Clawson lit a fire under those guys and is a perfectionist.

Wow, thanks for sharing. This is a really good tribute to your dad and a testament to the character of DC.

Great story. I love coach especially his passion on the sideline

100% credibility confirmed, with multiple pieces of supporting evidence. I am so glad he is OUR head coach.

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

And here I was just going to comment that I thought the play selection was great last night. While it was great, this is an awesome post.

this is amazing

I'm sure you pointed skyward at the final last night, Lilburn

Given that this thread somehow still exists I wonder about the boards split between the following:

1. Clawson IN, Manning IN
2. Clawson OUT, Manning OUT
3. Clawson IN, Manning OUT
4. Clawson OUT, Manning IN

I assume the majority is #3, but I've been wrong before.

I had forgotten your story, thanks for re-posting. This gets me right in the feels. The Deacon Family is real and too often gets lost in the pessimism, sarcasm, bickering, etc.

Given that this thread somehow still exists I wonder about the boards split between the following:

1. Clawson IN, Manning IN
2. Clawson OUT, Manning OUT
3. Clawson IN, Manning OUT
4. Clawson OUT, Manning IN

I assume the majority is #3, but I've been wrong before.

#3 for me right now. But there are stipulations, which have been updated in the title.

If you've not watched it yet, check out the locker room video post game. Clawson gives a game ball to a guy who recently lost his mother.

Hopefully it was not done primarily for appearances; but I know what you mean.

I don't think so. Claw is a class guy all the way. We can and do disagree about on the field decisions, but I don't think anyone here questions his personal standards and expectations.

Stipulations for being Clawson in right now is dumb. Dude is talked about nationally as a consistently overachieving coach and his name pops up for bigger school openings.

Clawson is a great fit for Wake football right now and has been his entire tenure.

Stipulations for being Clawson in right now is dumb. Dude is talked about nationally as a consistently overachieving coach and his name pops up for bigger school openings.

Clawson is a great fit for Wake football right now and has been his entire tenure.

Yeah but his impractical mickey mouse RPO offense is so painful to watch at times. Especially when its being run by a gym rat who can barely see over the line, and who's scared to death that he's going to die if he makes the wrong read. I've hated it since day one. Last night was SO SO much better.

If you've not watched it yet, check out the locker room video post game. Clawson gives a game ball to a guy who recently lost his mother.

Can someone please share who Johnny is ?

Back