• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson is a foodie (SI article)

I don't know if he's necessary saying that. I read it more that he's saying Grobe was an OK coach who took advantage of a unique opportunity given the state of the conference, and then couldn't keep the program going as the competition improved and should've taken the giant payday when he had the shot. But Clawson, a better coach, is able to make Wake competitive in what is now one of the strongest conferences in the country. Which I think is just about right.

Grobe's laziness and personal limitations were certainly a factor, as was the conference improving around him

Grobe could always coach. He just stopped recruiting. Recruiting is a pain-in-the-arse; requires tireless effort. Particularly at WF, but it's doable if you hustle, find the guys that can play, but that aren't massively high-profile. By all accounts, Clawson and his staff out work other staffs on the recruiting trail and evaluating the talent. That is why, WF is often the first to offer, and then others start swooping in.

Clawson also uses some algorithm that helps identify guys who will become good players, commit to Wake early and ultimately sign with Wake.

The first 3 or so quotes were from after the BC game but the majority were from after Tulane.

Sorry I don't have hours to piss away using the search function like others with 90k posts but will try to post more examples later.

LOL.

The first 3 or so quotes were from after the BC game but the majority were from after Tulane.

Sorry I don't have hours to piss away using the search function like others with 90k posts but will try to post more examples later.

The answer is Bill Brasky.

Saying Grobe should've left Wake and went to Nebraska, and then implying it wasn't his fault that Wake returned to the bottom of the league is total BS. Grobe was lazy as hell the last 4-5 years of this tenure. Not sure what happened after the years 2001-2009.

Skip Prosser died of a massive heart attack in his office a few doors down from Jim Grobe. A lot of people in the Wake athletic department re-evaluated their life and priorities at that time, and I believe Coach Grobe prioritized family and friends after Skip's passing. He just didn't have the same passion for recruiting or football afterward, which is completely understandable.

Skip Prosser died of a massive heart attack in his office a few doors down from Jim Grobe. A lot of people in the Wake athletic department re-evaluated their life and priorities at that time, and I believe Coach Grobe prioritized family and friends after Skip's passing. He just didn't have the same passion for recruiting or football afterward, which is completely understandable.

Agree that it affected him in a big way being that they were so close, but my goodness this post comes off as classic LOWF.

I think there is probably a lot of truth in that. Grobe and Prosser kind of had a special thing going and I think it probably just wasn't the same for Grobe after Skip passed. I don't think the article gives Grobe enough credit for what he did, not the last 4 years or so, but prior to that. I think Grobe showed that you could be successful at Wake for more than a season and I honestly think probably helped open the door to be able to get a coach the quality of Clawson. The article makes it seem like Grobe was a one hit wonder that had one fluke season. I don't that that was the case at all, he built toward that season. Grobe's problem was because of age or desire or perceived lack of commitment from the Admin or whatever, he lost the fire in the belly. Clawson seems to me to be a guy that as long as he's on a sideline, that fire is going to be there. Of course the challenge he faces as Grobe did, is sustaining it.

Agree that it affected him in a big way being that they were so close, but my goodness this post comes off as classic LOWF.

Really? Why? I'm as anti-LOWF as possible - I think we can win national championships in all sports in which we compete. I was just explaining why, in my opinion, Grobe lost his passion.

I think it’s LOWF to seem fine with a coach basically retiring on the job by slacking on an essential part of the job.

Grobe should have actually retired if he didn’t have the passion for the job anymore after Skip’s death. We would have understood.

I think it’s LOWF to seem fine with a coach basically retiring on the job by slacking on an essential part of the job.

Grobe should have actually retired if he didn’t have the passion for the job anymore after Skip’s death. We would have understood.

I see. I probably worded that poorly. I wasn't fine with it, but it makes sense to me why it happened.

and golf

lots of golf

I agree that if Grobe felt that the passion was gone, he should have retired. But that's easier said than done both from a personal perspective for Grobe and the assistants that he was to some extent responsible for.

I agree that if Grobe felt that the passion was gone, he should have retired. But that's easier said than done both from a personal perspective for Grobe and the assistants that he was to some extent responsible for.

Yeah it's easy to say he should have retired but very few people can say they've never coasted a bit at work. A competent AD would have helped Grobe make the right life decision much earlier...but then again our AD has been coasting for a while, too.

Yeah it's easy to say he should have retired but very few people can say they've never coasted a bit at work. A competent AD would have helped Grobe make the right life decision much earlier...but then again our AD has been coasting for a while, too.

especially those posting on these here boards

I don't follow recruiting closely. Did Grobe really change that much over his tenure? I mean is there any recruiting at all involved at a service academy? I'm not knocking him at all. What he did for our program was amazing but I always saw him as a life-first kind of guy who relied on redshirting and snot bubbles and good defensive coordinators. Maybe others who follow things more closely can say better but I just think he is who he is.

So let me take it back to the article since nobody else is talking about it. It looks like Clawson has a good work/family balance. They travel together, watch Food Network together, cook together, eat a nice restaurants together. It's got to be tough to be a P5 coach and dad to two teenagers. Based on this article, it seems like he's making it work.

There's a whole lot of truth to this.

So let me take it back to the article since nobody else is talking about it. It looks like Clawson has a good work/family balance. They travel together, watch Food Network together, cook together, eat a nice restaurants together. It's got to be tough to be a P5 coach and dad to two teenagers. Based on this article, it seems like he's making it work.

Agreed. Fun article.

Chopped and Best Thing I Ever Ate are both solid shows.

There's a whole lot of truth to this.

Experiencing that would be traumatic, but most of us would be fired if our job performances were that bad in the wake of losing a friend like that. I don't know about y'all, but I'm expected to do my job every day on the job. If and when I can't do that anymore, then I'll probably look for another job.

Back