• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson/Manning

DownEastDeac

Reaction score
This has probably been discussed already and possibly ad nauseam, but there's a Clawson angle to Manning's fate:
Even though we are now a football school (30 year-ago me would laugh at today me making that statement), "a rising tide lifts all boats" and vice versa. As basketball interest continues to decline and a large part of the fan base gets disgusted with Wake athletic administration in general, that will have/already has had an impact on the football program as individual and corporate donors put their support dollars elsewhere. While we're a "football school", the ACC is still a basketball conference, and if you're not going to be in it to win it, the overall image and enthusiasm for the university's athletic programs take a collective hit. At some point Clawson may decide to go somewhere that has a healthy and complimentary product in its two major sports.
OTOH, it will apparently take a boat-load of cash to be rid of Manning, and potentially lots of zero's to get a high-profile coach in his place. I think Clawson will take that in perspective and be o.k. as long as he's getting his fair due, but Currie has to balance opening the bank for a new BB coach with recognizing what Clawson has already has done. So in addition to potentially paying big $$ for a new coach, Currie may have to factor in an increase for Clawson just to keep the feng shui good when those guys run in to each other crossing the quad. And no I'm not saying that Clawson and/or his agent is interjecting himself in this process at all, in fact that would totally surprise me, but Currie has no choice but to factor that in. So who knows, in addition to Currie looking to Shah and Sutton to help with the Manning buy-out, he may be going to McCrary (for the umpteeth time) to help keep the waters smooth on the FB side.

This has probably been discussed already and possibly ad nauseam, but there's a Clawson angle to Manning's fate:
Even though we are now a football school (30 year-ago me would laugh at today me making that statement), "a rising tide lifts all boats" and vice versa. As basketball interest continues to decline and a large part of the fan base gets disgusted with Wake athletic administration in general, that will have/already has had an impact on the football program as individual and corporate donors put their support dollars elsewhere. While we're a "football school", the ACC is still a basketball conference, and if you're not going to be in it to win it, the overall image and enthusiasm for the university's athletic programs take a collective hit. At some point Clawson may decide to go somewhere that has a healthy and complimentary product in its two major sports.
OTOH, it will apparently take a boat-load of cash to be rid of Manning, and potentially lots of zero's to get a high-profile coach in his place. I think Clawson will take that in perspective and be o.k. as long as he's getting his fair due, but Currie has to balance opening the bank for a new BB coach with recognizing what Clawson has already has done. So in addition to potentially paying big $$ for a new coach, Currie may have to factor in an increase for Clawson just to keep the feng shui good when those guys run in to each other crossing the quad. And no I'm not saying that Clawson and/or his agent is interjecting himself in this process at all, in fact that would totally surprise me, but Currie has no choice but to factor that in. So who knows, in addition to Currie looking to Shah and Sutton to help with the Manning buy-out, he may be going to McCrary (for the umpteeth time) to help keep the waters smooth on the FB side.

Curry is being paid to figure that all out. Some transparency would help. Wake hasn't given an honest answer about basketball in a decade. I just want them to come out and admit they messed up three times with coaches and that they are sorry and explain what they learned and how they would do better. Why would anyone give a dime to Wake Basketball right now? And you are right, one programs success helps the other and ones total sucking hurts the other.

Well here's my scoopla. From what I've heard, Clawson is gone after this season. Take it for what it's worth, but my "sauces" are not WF-related but work in the college sports industry. My hunch is they are right and he's looking to make a step up after this season.

I'm sure that goes on, but this has nothing to do with other programs or rumors of that kind. Like I said, take it for what it's worth, but I think the info is pretty solid. We will see in December.

giphy.gif

Well here's my scoopla. From what I've heard, Clawson is gone after this season. Take it for what it's worth, but my "sauces" are not WF-related but work in the college sports industry. My hunch is they are right and he's looking to make a step up after this season.

To where tho? very small pool of schools that a) he would leave for and b) are hiring the coach of perennial 8-5 wake forest. ACC and PAC-10 are likely out. SEC school ain't hiring a coach from LOWF. Mich State is the kinda job i could see him bouncing for but he was never mentioned. i think he's cool at wake making bank, doing it his way and not having to deal with whack job boosters or admin.

"Curry is being paid to figure that all out."

Clifford Curry? Stephen Curry? Denzel Curry? George Curry? Haskell Curry? Manfred, or wait for it, Aaron Curry? All would do better figuring this out as it would seem..living and dead. John Currie not so much.

To where tho? very small pool of schools that a) he would leave for and b) are hiring the coach of perennial 8-5 wake forest. ACC and PAC-10 are likely out. SEC school ain't hiring a coach from LOWF. Mich State is the kinda job i could see him bouncing for but he was never mentioned. i think he's cool at wake making bank, doing it his way and not having to deal with whack job boosters or admin.

Agreed. I think the same thing. I mean I want him to stay but we didn't set the world on fire this year or anything. Good for Wake Forest, I'll keep going to all the games, but I can't see Texas knocking on the door or whatever. After the conversation I do think all the talk about small, elite, private college and stuff like that mattering is pretty much crap (which I figured anyway), and Claw would be open to a wider group of programs than most on here think. Who would offer and how much, who knows? But he's definitely not married to W-S or WF and change is really likely after this year if there are offers out there. Just passing along info... (Which in 4500+ posts I seldom do)

Didn't they address Clawson last year? I had heard that was a factor in why Manning was retained. (Couldn't do both in one year.)

Agreed. I think the same thing. I mean I want him to stay but we didn't set the world on fire this year or anything. Good for Wake Forest, I'll keep going to all the games, but I can't see Texas knocking on the door or whatever. After the conversation I do think all the talk about small, elite, private college and stuff like that mattering is pretty much crap (which I figured anyway), and Claw would be open to a wider group of programs than most on here think. Who would offer and how much, who knows? But he's definitely not married to W-S or WF and change is really likely after this year if there are offers out there. Just passing along info... (Which in 4500+ posts I seldom do)

Exactly, we've had this conversation ad nauseum. There are maybe a handful of top 25 programs that want a Clawson. Hiring the Wake coach is not going to fire up a fan base. Those that would hire him, are not really a step up from Wake. Michigan State job opening up worried me and Claws was barely discussed.

But I do agree that if we had to find $15m to get rid of Manning, and then $3-5m a year for the new guy we may have a hard time keeping Clawson happy and prevent him from making a lateral move for more money.

While not 100% impossible, I will say it is very unlikely Clawson is leaving after next season. His daughter will be graduating from Davidson in the Spring, meaning moving away anytime before May would be less than desirable. He and his wife have always been happy every time I've seen them out around town, he knows how much the fanbase likes him. He's got brand new facilities to work with. He is pretty cozy.

Back