• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Q& A

"DC: Yeah, the offensive skill positions and the D-line are really where we’re going to be inexperienced going into the season. It’s really hard. I don’t know what we have. There’s no film on these guys, they didn’t play."

Interesting problem that I hadn't thought about.

Do you know what your running back situation looks like though?

DC: If you have any eligibility left, you’ll get the carries.

You don’t want that, trust me.

DC: That’s real. We are very thin there. With some of the players who left, who graduated, we’re moving Orville Reynolds back from receiver there. We’re moving James Ward from safety. [Dominique] Gibson is the one guy who played there last year who’s back, and then we brought in two. That certainly is a huge question mark for us going into spring football.

Yikes.

"DC: Yeah, the offensive skill positions and the D-line are really where we’re going to be inexperienced going into the season. It’s really hard. I don’t know what we have. There’s no film on these guys, they didn’t play."

Interesting problem that I hadn't thought about.

Really: Tylor Harris played, James Looney played, Desmond Floyd played, Josh Banks played????

I'm sure he's talking about QBs with respect to the "no film" problem.

The players really didn't play much.

Floyd played in 11 games and had 11 tackles. Harris played in 11 games and had 10 tackles. Looney played in 6 games and had 3 tackles. Banks played in 10 games and had 13 tackles. I can't find numbers on snaps played, but certainly not much for Claws to judge.

The players really didn't play much.

Floyd played in 11 games and had 11 tackles. Harris played in 11 games and had 10 tackles. Looney played in 6 games and had 3 tackles. Banks played in 10 games and had 13 tackles. I can't find numbers on snaps played, but certainly not much for Claws to judge.

True, they didn't play tons, but they did play a decent number of snaps. If he goes back 2 years on Harris, he played abunch while Nikita was out that year.

I'm sure he's talking about QBs with respect to the "no film" problem.

He's got film on Cameron. Heck, Cameron's completion percentage against FSU was great, if you don't take into account which team the player was from that caught the ball.

True, and I'm sure he could go through practice film to a degree. I think this is a positive for all of the players currently enrolled in that they get a completely fresh start with no depth chart and just an opportunity to go out and prove themselves. If they can't, then Clawson smartly brought in insurance by recruiting a full football team as he calls it.

I would also think a huge part of it is that the staff just hasn't had much time to evaluate the current players since their primary objective has been recruiting up until this point.

No one expected more than two wins this season before we hired DC, so anything above that would be great.

Even with those 4 guys, who plays behind them? There is no one right now.

I would also think a huge part of it is that the staff just hasn't had much time to evaluate the current players since their primary objective has been recruiting up until this point.

That is a huge part and Clawson said as much during the signing day luncheon. He said the staff knows the incoming freshman a lot better than the players already on the team because when he first got here, the players left for Christmas break shortly there after and the staff has had to spend as much time as possible recruiting, so he said with the guys back on campus and going through winter workouts and spring ball the staff will now be able to start getting to know the players we already have on campus.

Everybody will get a fresh start no doubt. He also made that point at the luncheon when he said the reason they tried to sign all positions with his first recruiting class was because he has learned not to take word of mouth as to what positions we are pretty good at. He said he made the mistake at one job by listening to someone on the prior staff that they had a great O-line recruiting class the year before, so he didn't need to worry about recruiting O-line that year and Clawson said when his staff got the chance to evaluate the O-line themselves they found out those guys "stunk."

The goal is for Clawson to take next year's team bowling. Anything else is a disappointment. It may be understandable but the expectations for next year's team should be set high.

The goal is for Clawson to take next year's team bowling. Anything else is a disappointment. It may be understandable but the expectations for next year's team should be set high.

Maybe I'm still a little high off the coaching hire, but I really think we'll go bowling this coming season.

Yes, bowling is too high an expectation. The unspoken nice thing about signing a full team is that everyone has to compete for their position.

Premature to assess the expected win total until the roster shakes out after Spring practice (both for WF and for WF's opponents). Will be interested to get DC's take on each of the position groups after he has practiced and scrimmaged with the returning players. Heard a lot of good things about Tyler Cameron over the last two years. Want to hear DC's take on him after this Spring.

Last edited:
Going to take a while to get used to DC meaning Dave Clawson and not Dan Collins. I keep wondering why people care what Dan Collins thinks about so and so player.

A well-coached team that plays hard and smart with halfway decent talent should make a bowl out of the ACC unless they play a ridiculously hard non-con.

Back