• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson in the National Championship game?

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah - obviously highly unlikely, but it may technically be possible. They are 6th in the BCS standings, and at least 2 of the teams in front of them (2 out of Bama, Auburn, and Mizzu) are guaranteed to lose. If somehow, OSU and FSU were to lose as well, it looks like they would be in the top 2. Or better yet, what if Mizzu loses to Texas A&M, and then South Carolina beats the winner of the Bama/Auburn game in the SEC champ game, and then Ohio State loses in the Big 10 champ game. Then it looks like FSU (assuming ACC win) and Clemson would be sitting at 1 and 2 in the standings. Of course, in true Clemson fashion, they will lose to South Carolina, and all of this will be moot. Also, I guess there is a chance that a one loss Bama team could still be ahead of them.

Oh yeah - forgot that a 4 loss Notre Dame team would get in ahead of them as well.

They ought to start preparing for UCF in the Orange Bowl.

Last edited:
Orange Bowl actually has first pick so they should get someone decent as an opponent

I think the Big 12 champ has the tie in with the Fiesta. How about Baylor or Oregon? UCF would fill the place though.

If FSU wins the ACC, and subsequently is selected to play in the NC game, does the OB still have to take an ACC team?

If so, can they take any ACC team or must it be the loser of the ACCCG?

Last edited:
The loser of the ACCCG can fall no further than the Sun bowl. So Duke will be heading to El Paso to play UCLA (4th place PAC 12).

The loser of the ACCCG can fall no further than the Sun bowl. So Duke will be heading to El Paso to play UCLA (4th place PAC 12).

If they beat UNC, I hope I'm wrong, but I got a feeling UNC beats Duke this weekend.

Who reprents Coastal if Duke loses? Looks like there is potential for a multiple way tie.

If/when VT beats UVa, they'll step in. As per Bill King this morning.

I think the Big 12 champ has the tie in with the Fiesta. How about Baylor or Oregon? UCF would fill the place though.

I'm thinking it will be a Big Ten team -- Ohio State, Michigan State or Wisconsin. Those fan bases travel pretty well to Florida

If Florida wasn't a total dumpster fire....but it is. FSU will crush the Gators.

If FSU wins the ACC, and subsequently is selected to play in the NC game, does the OB still have to take an ACC team?

If so, can they take any ACC team or must it be the loser of the ACCCG?

Can someone answer my question?

No, the OB does not have to take an ACC team if FSU plays in the BSCNCG.

If they were to take an ACC team (their choice), it has to be from the top 16 in the BSC standings and it doesn't neccessarily have to be the loser of the ACCCG.

For example, if Alabama beats Auburn and wins the SEC championship, Bama will play in the BCSNCG and the Sugar Bowl will likely take Auburn, not Missouri/South Carolina.

They don't have to take an ACC team but it ALWAYS happens. Would be a pretty big F-U to a conference that they have a long-term relationship with

98 is correct. But Clemson will be a top 5 team, if 'Bama beats Auburn. They travel well on the east coast and will sell more tickets then a Big 12 or B1G team. The Orange Bowl could pick UCF to fill the house. I would love a Clemson vs Michigan St match up, just to see if Dabo could beat that great defense.

Back