• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

clock management

Pretty much. Probably 9 times out of 10 (or maybe more) it ends up simply moving a receiver from one side to the other. Maybe 1 out of10 everything goes right for a handoff to the orbiter. The orbit motion simply adds pne more thing for an opposing defense to worry about.

If the orbit is motioning behind the mesh, the QB could pull out and pitch to the orbit, or if the orbit is already past them, pull out and pass it to the orbit in the flat. It would take a lot of timing and the orbit would have to know not to slow down to wait for a potential pitch.

The orbit could motion in front of the QB and be there for a quick forward pitch before the mesh.

App State and Satterfield have been running the motion man behind the pistol of qb and rb with a ton of success of the last 5 years. You rpo with rb and then can run option out wide with motion/orbit man.

You run it more like a traditional RPO (i.e. not hiding the ball 1-3 seconds) when you just flash it or do a traditional fake of handoff, then pitch out. Grobe did this....

Plenty of offenses do that, but the QB and RB aren't walking half-speed towards the line of scrimmage while it is happening. For it to work in our delayed situation the orbit WR would basically have to be jogging. I think all it would do would be to draw that WRs defender into the box to blow up the play because the defender running in at full speed from the side would always catch the jogging WR. In a "normal" orbit that defender usually can't get in there to make the play because if he tried the orbit WR would get the handoff full speed every time as his defender would always be behind the play, so instead that defender has to go underneath the Dline. With our timing I think it would just invite that defender to wreck the mesh point.

The WR motion pop pass that's pretty much a jet sweep is one of my favorite plays in football, and so many teams run it successfully. Have we ever even tried it? Seems like it would be ideal for Hinton. Eliminates the possibility of a fumble on the exchange and pads Newman's passing stats for ACC POY.

I mentioned this somewhere (game thread maybe?) but on one of the third downs (I think) we didn't convert around the goal line, we brought Hinton around with motion, and then just handed off to Carney (I think) on the read option. The DE crashed down on the read option mesh point, and Hinton was totally uncovered out in the flat. If we would have faked the read option handoff, Hartman could have just lobbed it to Hinton, who could have just walked into the end zone. I know that the pass was not part of that play call, but I sure hope we have it as a play, or install it when they see what happened during film review. Heck, even if you have a DB that ends up in the general area, I would take my chances on Hinton being able juke his way into the end zone.

Yeah what I'm describing is more of a fast triple option with a jet sweep and option to pass and not a delayed mesh rpo. Delayed mesh would not work with orbit

6-1 is when most coaches usually change the base of the offense.

6-1 is when most coaches usually change the base of the offense.

No one (I don't think) is advocating for that. But we seem to run about 1/4 the variety of plays as most good teams. Adding more wrinkles to our already-strong offense gives our players a better chance for success.

"Speed in space" is the trendy offensive concept these days, while most of our running plays are kind of the opposite of that - slow developing in the box. Adding more outside runs/short passes should be a priority.

This is the perfect time to switch to the flexbone. Nobody will see it coming.

Yeah what I'm describing is more of a fast triple option with a jet sweep and option to pass and not a delayed mesh rpo. Delayed mesh would not work with orbit

Jesus, thank goodness we have such innovative brilliant coaching minds hidden on a message board. STFU. Clawson has shown 6 years of adaptability, running RPO early on to scheme us to chances to win, pounding it with 2 rbs with tempo when we needed to wear down teams. We are on the cusp of a historic year, enjoy the ride.

Calm down bro, just people talking on a message board.

Enjoy the games.

Back