• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Close Brushes with Fame Thread

A couple years ago, my wife and I spent a few weeks traveling in Italy. During one of our days in Rome, we were puckered out from sight-seeing and it was a beautiful day, so we hung around the hotel and hot tub pool for a few hours. In the hot tub next to us was Penelope Cruz with her kids, and we engaged in minor small talk before parting ways. On the way back to the room, about 30 minutes later, we walked past the hotel gym and saw Owen Wilson lifting weights with a trainer.

Turns out they were filming Zoolander 2 in Rome at the time, and the cast was staying in our hotel.

Weird. We were in Paris when they were filming that same movie during fashion week. Saw Wilson/Stiller from a distance. Also saw Kim K and Gaga walking out of stores with hundreds of paparazzi following each of them. My sister walked out of a dressing room in one store at the same time as Kate Mara and was quite surprised.

Excellent question. We directly crossed paths and I looked at his face and thought "I think I recognize this dude from TV but have no idea what his name is" I'm sure I looked it up then, but still couldn't remember his name. Still didn't this morning when I went to post his picture. How did I find this photo? I remembered he was in some FX show with Judy Greer, so IMDB searched her and scrolled down until I found the show ("Married" - I'm sure it was excellent), then searched through the photos. The first one was too large so I went with this one. Just a little view behind how the sausage is made. Even now I'm only about 75% sure his name is Nat Faxon and I just look him up 20 minutes ago

Married was decent enough. I enjoyed watching it but I wasn't sad it got cancelled after two seasons. I crush hard on Judy Greer though.

giphy.webp

Shared a backyard with Gordie Howe when I was young.

My second cousin pitched in the bigs and I met a bunch of his teammates. Most famous probably Dave Winfield and Kirby Puckett.

Playing golf in a random municipal golf course in Indiana in the late 90s and Oscar Robertson was in the group behind us.

Bob Griese came to my church several times when I was high school age. I think he had family in the area.

Oh man, I almost forgot. I was at the Japanese Steakhouse on Stratford in undergrad for a family friend's birthday. Waiting to be seated after us was this distinguished looking older gentleman who I recognized as Ernie Banks, partly because his hat said Ernie Banks, Mr. Cub, but mostly because I just know what Ernie Banks looks like.

I didn't want to bother him during dinner, and thought I missed my chance when I saw him leave. We left almost immediately after, and as I walked out, who did I see chilling in the parking lot playing with a yo-yo, but Ernie Banks, waiting for the car to pick him up at the door. I went up to him and was like, excuse me, you're Ernie Banks? He looked like he wanted to get the fuck out, but I dropped the "I have your rookie card, the one where you only appeared in 9 games (or something like that)," and he gets this huge grin on his face and goes "Yes! Yes, son, that's right! How are you?" Turns out he was in town for a Maya Angelou thing or something. It was pretty cool. Dude seemed like he loved his yo-yo!

s-l640.jpg

Excellent question. We directly crossed paths and I looked at his face and thought "I think I recognize this dude from TV but have no idea what his name is" I'm sure I looked it up then, but still couldn't remember his name. Still didn't this morning when I went to post his picture. How did I find this photo? I remembered he was in some FX show with Judy Greer, so IMDB searched her and scrolled down until I found the show ("Married" - I'm sure it was excellent), then searched through the photos. The first one was too large so I went with this one. Just a little view behind how the sausage is made. Even now I'm only about 75% sure his name is Nat Faxon and I just look him up 20 minutes ago

It was actually a pretty decent show, I think it got the axe after season 2 in lieu of "You're the Worst" which is also pretty decent.

I don't have many, but I was at Foothills having some beers with a friend one night and Owen Wilson was sitting a couple chairs down from us with two bombshells twice his height. I was pretty slammed and they were about to close up, but I remember walking up to him and shooting the shit. I broke my nose in high school playing football so it has a hockey player Rod Brindamour look to it and I remember one of the first things I said to him is "WE MATCH!!" while pointing to my nose. He actually laughed pretty hard and gave me a "cheers". I would have been in a jolly mood as well if I were sandwiched between two 10's.

Other lesser run in's were Dave Odom at Ducks in Cherry Grove, he was pounding Michy Ultra's and shagging his little ass off. I gave him a "Go Deacs!" and he fist bumped me. This was probably 10 years ago now.
Also saw Kumail Nanjiani a couple of times at Monstercade last year, dude is pretty down to earth and boring. He was in town for a premiere of his friends movie at Aperture I believe. She either went to Wake or UNCSA, can't remember.

Some very cool stories and mine pale in comparison. In high school, my Dad is teaching summer school at the University of Hawaii. We go for brunch at the Royal Hawaiian and we see Tom Selleck w/two gorgeous girls. Gorgeous Girls! We wait (my brother and I) until they are getting up from breakfast and rush over for autographs. He was cool and says that the girls are his nieces... My parents swoop in for pictures, and of course, afterwards my Mom says her battery died. Also, caddied for Chris Collingsworth and Willie McCovey at the Crosby golf tournament. Both were excellent golfers (I suck at it - so take that for what it's worth) and McCovey was very nice, but Collingsworth was a dick and didn't tip. He was a very good WR and decent analyst, but to this day I think of him as a total D-bag!

Lately, I was at the Braves game in the ATL. Takeo Spikes is the "guest" star swinging the huge tomahawk before the game and he's swinging that huge-ass tomahawk for 5 minutes like I do a hammer. The dude is still a beast! I remembered how much I loved watching him play for the Bengals. Anyway, we had tickets in the Delta Club and around the 6th inning I'm walking into the restroom and I see a this HUGE dude in a Braves jersey w/the names "Spikes" on the back of the uni. I was like no way and did a quick U-turn and decided I would approach him when he came out. As he exits, I walk up and ask him how heavy was that Tomahawk? He was swinging it for like 10 minutes in 90 degree heat. He just laughed and said, "Heavy as fuck!" I offered to buy him a drink and we hung out for about 30 minutes. Very cool dude and is now doing all types of public speaking engagements etc.

He was the color commentator on one of our games this year.

Oh man, I almost forgot. I was at the Japanese Steakhouse on Stratford in undergrad for a family friend's birthday. Waiting to be seated after us was this distinguished looking older gentleman who I recognized as Ernie Banks, partly because his hat said Ernie Banks, Mr. Cub, but mostly because I just know what Ernie Banks looks like.

I didn't want to bother him during dinner, and thought I missed my chance when I saw him leave. We left almost immediately after, and as I walked out, who did I see chilling in the parking lot playing with a yo-yo, but Ernie Banks, waiting for the car to pick him up at the door. I went up to him and was like, excuse me, you're Ernie Banks? He looked like he wanted to get the fuck out, but I dropped the "I have your rookie card, the one where you only appeared in 9 games (or something like that)," and he gets this huge grin on his face and goes "Yes! Yes, son, that's right! How are you?" Turns out he was in town for a Maya Angelou thing or something. It was pretty cool. Dude seemed like he loved his yo-yo!

s-l640.jpg

He looks 14.

I saw Dave Ellefson in Costco yesterday. His truck has a custom "MEGADTH" plate so I knew he'd be in there.

Niiiiiice. I used to be pretty into Megadeth in middle school. That early shit still shreds.

I saw the lead singer of Sevendust at an Atlanta Home Depot. Got out of an Escalade with a 7dst plate.

Almost forgot. I met TV's Michael J. Nelson this summer.

I saw Leo at the cathedral in Toledo, Spain in the summer of 2009. I think I later figured he out he was in Europe shooting Inception.

Back