• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Closing of Jimmy's Barbecue in Lexington

Diggitydeac

Reaction score
One of the iconic family-owned barbecue restaurants in Lexington has closed due to the costs of a needed remodeling and the aging out of family management.

While the place was very "rustic," the service and food were authentic, delicious, and consistent. I hate that I won't be able to get my "best in Lex" mile high chopped sandwich, crinkle fries, and sweet tea followed sometimes by house made banana pudding that they kept on ice on top of the back counter most weekends.

Jimmy Harvey the founder died many years ago but he was always friendly and welcoming at the cash register. He helped start the Barbecue Festival and his family continued to support the event after he died.

I have not heard what is going on the site, probably a chain fast food or c-store.

Yeah, sad news, they were a contributor to the BBQ festival.

This was covered in the Triad Restaurants comings, goings and rec thread a few weeks ago.

Yeah, sad news, they were a contributor to the BBQ festival.

This was covered in the Triad Restaurants comings, goings and rec thread a few weeks ago.

I am too lazy to search old generalized threads. Apparently others missed it too.

One of the only BBQ joints that would open on Sunday's. Took some out of towners there after NCAA games in Charlotte a few years ago. Good Q, place will certainly be missed

They closed pretty suddenly, too. From what I've been told by my family that still lives in Lexington, the staff didn't even know until they shut it down.

The rumor is Chick-Fil-A offered to purchase the property and the family took the cash and the opportunity to get out of the business.

Back