• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach Manning,

This narrative makes so much more sense than a single, egomaniacal, dictator calling all the shots.

Yep, Wellman had no problem with BAU for 16-17 years. The thing looks like marching orders to me.

Ron had so little leverage and Manning had so much, I'd bet he got whatever he wanted - handsomely paid, lower admission requirements, whatever.

Ron had little cred in coaching community after firing Dino and then smearing him with culture talk, little goodwill with the fanbase, publicly promised a "home run hire," and had been rejected 5-6 times already. The natives were anxious for a new coach, and while Manning is not a "home run" at least he is a big name. Manning knew Ron was not going to walk away, so he made his demands and stuck to them. Good for him.

--

Coach Manning,

No matter what Ron Wellman tells you, your job is to make us a buy a "Danny and the Miracles" t-shirt in old gold and black.

Last edited:
Ron had so little leverage and Manning had so much, I'd bet he got whatever he wanted - handsomely paid, lower admission requirements, whatever.

Ron had little cred in coaching community after firing Dino and then smearing him with culture talk, little goodwill with the fanbase, publicly promised a "home run hire," and had been rejected 5-6 times already. The natives were anxious for a new coach, and while Manning is not a "home run" at least he is a big name. Manning knew Ron was not going to walk away, so he made his demands and stuck to them. Good for him.

--

Coach Manning,

No matter what Ron Wellman tells you, your job is to us a buy a "Danny and the Miracles" t-shirt in old gold and black.

I really hope so. We can't expect to compete with artificial restrictions in place.

This narrative makes so much more sense than a single, egomaniacal, dictator calling all the shots.

money always calls the shots

and the money saw what happened when wellman's hands were tied.

That said, I still think the mediocre recruits were more the fault of [Redacted] than the new restrictions

wellman COULD have hired a coach 4 years ago where this all would have worked out a whole lot better

Last edited:
There really is no logic to having stricter standards than Duke and Stanford. So we can't act self-righteous in defeat. Oh well.

There really is no logic to having stricter standards than Duke and Stanford. So we can't act self-righteous in defeat. Oh well.

Especially since they're considered USN&WR Top 10 universities and we're in the Top 25.

Seriously. I mean this isn't rocket science and it's not like we start with extra points on the scoreboard for this stuff. Figure out what Vandy and BC do and just do that.

Do we really know that our admission standards are stricter than Duke's or Stanford's? It seems people keep making that claim but I don't see how we could ever know that.

True. I just assume it because they actual excel at sports.

Who are the coaches to win an NCAA Title as both player and coach?

Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, any others?

I just want Wake's name called on selection sunday. Start there, then i'll move to naming the stadium after him. Whoever used the term 'Cautiously optimistic' is spot on. We've been burned so bad over that past 4 years, it's hard to hire anyone wherei would just be 'all in'.

Get'm Coach....

I just want Wake's name called on selection sunday. Start there, then i'll move to naming the stadium after him. Whoever used the term 'Cautiously optimistic' is spot on. We've been burned so bad over that past 4 years, it's hard to hire anyone wherei would just be 'all in'.

Get'm Coach....

PaternoShrug.jpg

Also, call Ollie and do whatever he did with free throws

I like how Philly rolls back in here like he didn't just get banned for one of the most impressive rants that these boards have ever seen. Probably spent the week working out 3 times a day getting ready to kick some peoples asses no doubt.

I like how Philly rolls back in here like he didn't just get banned for one of the most impressive rants that these boards have ever seen. Probably spent the week working out 3 times a day getting ready to kick some peoples asses no doubt.

The open the throat line is what put it over the top

Back