• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach [Redacted]

That must have been a tough few hours.

So what would have been an appropriate amount of time?

We had recruits left hanging...2 asst. coaches in limbo and not able to tell recruits anything about the program going forward without Dino.

I'm sure Bz got plenty of info on Battle and Larue prior to the interviews...how long should the decision have taken to make it look better? 2 days? 2 weeks?

100% agreed. Would throw completely unnecessary turmoil around the team at the worst possible time.

Also agreed. But by waiting two weeks after the Kentucky loss he hampered our search and also prevented Dino from being in the running for the better jobs out there.

I am not saying he would have gotten one or even been considered, but the man didn't deserve to be strung along for 2 completely unnecessary weeks.

my laugh was to Ph's comments. I didn't realize the thread went to another page.

My bad.

So what would have been an appropriate amount of time?

We had recruits left hanging...2 asst. coaches in limbo and not able to tell recruits anything about the program going forward without Dino.

I'm sure Bz got plenty of info on Battle and Larue prior to the interviews...how long should the decision have taken to make it look better? 2 days? 2 weeks?

Maybe decision should have been made without regard for the assistant coaches. This will be the fifth season in which a head coach was hired with regard to continuity. Enough is enough. Just get a head coach with enough influence to bring in his own staff.

Oh yeah, nothing screwed over the assistants more than carrying on a coaching search for weeks without telling them. Wellman pretty much forced them to be dependent on staying at Wake instead of floating their resumes during the tournament.

Maybe decision should have been made without regard for the assistant coaches. This will be the fifth season in which a head coach was hired with regard to continuity. Enough is enough. Just get a head coach with enough influence to bring in his own staff.

Oh yeah, nothing screwed over the assistants more than carrying on a coaching search for weeks without telling them. Wellman pretty much forced them to be dependent on staying at Wake instead of floating their resumes during the tournament.

You mean from the sweet 16 onwards? Surely you don't mean to suggest before the tournament Wellman should have pulled Battle and LaRue aside and said, "hey, guys, btw you may want to get your resumes in order. I'm going to fire Dino as soon as you guys are knocked out of this thing. Just a heads up."

Yeah, Monday after the UK game. That's two weeks before the national championship game during prime coaching search season.

while he was our only offer last April he wasn't our first choice. Overtures were sent to Brad Stevens, Steve Alford and to a lesser extent Tubby Smith. All were quickly and politely declined.

Some close to the situation feel that RW panicked after these initial overtures were declined fearing a drawn-out public coaching search. RW was also the first to mention Coach [name redacted]'s name, and many others involved in the search hadn't even heard of him before.

neo-deja-vu-o.gif

I was confused until the third page that this thread was three years old.

Back