• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach Walter in Greensboro last night

bcobbdeacs

Reaction score
Coach walter gave a nice presentation at the Greensboro dog and pony show last night. Gave us their strategy going forword as to how they were recruiting and how that was impacted by Wake's high tuition. He was asked how Vanderbilt was able to be one of the top teams with the same high tuition and scholarship limits that we have. He responded that Vanderbilt had such a large endowment that they were able to offer money to cover the differential, in fact, he said the two best players on the team were not even on Baseball scholarships but were fully funded by the school. Very interesting talk.

Does the old man (Hatch) even know we have a baseball program? I would lay odds at 50/50.

How is "offering endowment money to cover the differential" not considered violating the scholarship limits imposed on baseball? Seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other. You're supplementing what players can receive from the school which is, essentially, more scholarship money.

How is "offering endowment money to cover the differential" not considered violating the scholarship limits imposed on baseball? Seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other. You're supplementing what players can receive from the school which is, essentially, more scholarship money.

academic scholarships?

It is an academic scholarship, kids on academic scholarships are free to participate in NCAA sports. I felt like we as a school need to try and increase our endowment so that all of our students can be treated this way.

Vanderbilt consistently doles out more scholarship money than Wake, and not just for athletes.

09, that is the point, they can because their endowment is so much larger than ours, it goes back to Dr. Hearn's thought of having enough endowment that the school would be totally need blind.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that Vandy officially dissolved their AD a few years ago? So the money can come from some other pot?

Seems like that could open a huge can of worms. We could just offer the Picolo Scholar Scholarship. It could be an academic scholarship that covers all expenses and costs and also awards a million dollars a year for "incidentals." We could give it to the top football player in the country each year.

If you are awarded an athletic scholarship by the institution, you cannot have been recruited by the school if you choose to play a sport. Otherwise, you count against the scholarship limit either way.

Not sure how Vandy goes about doing that (getting guys to come play without recruiting them) but that would have to be what happens.

Sig, site your evidence, UNC has for years given Morehead Scholly's to people who play sports saving the official scholly for others.

Sig, site your evidence, UNC has for years given Morehead Scholly's to people who play sports saving the official scholly for others.

This would be a clear violation of NCAA rules as I understand them. The kid would have to be a non-recruited athlete for this work - that is, not good. Even if they were not recruited specifically by Carolina, if the kid was a recruited player and they put them on the Morehead, the kid would still count against their scholarship limit in the sport. I guess it would save scholarship money - in that the money would come from a different source.

This would be a clear violation of NCAA rules as I understand them. The kid would have to be a non-recruited athlete for this work - that is, not good. Even if they were not recruited specifically by Carolina, if the kid was a recruited player and they put them on the Morehead, the kid would still count against their scholarship limit in the sport. I guess it would save scholarship money - in that the money would come from a different source.

as long as it's not UNC

Did anybody ask why our endowment is paltry compared to Vandy and why a school without an athletic director is kicking our tails across all sports?

Did anybody ask why our endowment is paltry compared to Vandy and why a school without an athletic director is kicking our tails across all sports?

Probably has nothing to do with this.

Back