• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching carousel from SI (football)

Henry Chinaski

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131120/coach-hiring-firing-season-primer/

Coaching carousel wrt Wake:

Could Open: Wake Forest. It's painful to even type this, as few coaches can match the success and integrity of Jim Grobe. But Wake is headed toward its fifth consecutive losing season. (Basketball is a mess, too, which certainly doesn't help matters for AD Ron Wellman). Duke football has surpassed Wake Forest, which won the ACC in 2006. As the years pass, that title in a league that includes Clemson, Florida State and Miami seems remarkable. Who could the Demon Deacons find as a potential replacement? That's hard to say. Wake may be the most challenging Big Five conference job, so it'd need to find a good fit with an academic background, such as Lembo or Clawson. One name that could vary from Virginia's list is Air Force's Troy Calhoun, who had success as Wake's offensive coordinator from 2001-03.

Fair take. Lolz at throwing out two MAC coaches as potential candidates.

WF will not fire Grobe, but possible that he could walk away.

"few coaches [that would actually take a job right now under Wellman] can match the success and integrity of Jim Grobe"

FIFY

^ i only meant that Wellman seems somewhat obsessed with the MAC...

Troy Calhoun would most certainly be welcome.

Calhoun's star has dimmed. AF football is 2-8 (with wins over Colgate and Army), and is about to have its worst season in decades. At least Calhoun's price tag would be less. Agreed with the sentiment that WF will/should go in new direction.

Lolz at throwing out two MAC coaches as potential candidates

Jim Grobe's previous stop was Ohio University. Not a bad hire from a MAC school

Kind of my dream scenario is this. Grobe wins at least one of the last 2, gets the all-time Wake record and decides it's time to retire. We hire a good younger coach like Lembo and during the 2016 season we bring Grobe back and the 2006 team and have a big 10 year anniversary celebration of the 2006 ACC title team. By 2016, any bad feelings about the downturn of the program would've faded and Grobe would be welcomed back with open arms to celebrate one heck of a team and achievement.

Nothing wrong with dreaming right?

Calhoun's star has dimmed. AF football is 2-8 (with wins over Colgate and Army), and is about to have its worst season in decades. At least Calhoun's price tag would be less. Agreed with the sentiment that WF will/should go in new direction.

I think he would benefit from being back in familiar territory. Who knows? But I agree there needs to be some housecleaning. And I can't see him wanting to keep Lobo.

Still think Wellman retires after one of the best Final Four's ever. I have a picture of Parker, Wiggins, Randle and a mid major (VCU?) in front of 80,000 fans in Dallas. Wellman takes a bow and retires. Grobe probably retires also and the new AD fires BZ and hires their replacements.

Hate to say this, but it's time for a change.
Don't know who the right/best candidate would be, but what we've been doing hasn't been working for quite a while.
Need some new blood, new ideas and new energy

We capture the magic for 3 more games. Grobe retires-Wellman Fired-Bzz Fired. New AD gets in a new FB coach with some creative ideas, and the change is enough to get to 6 wins next year and recruiting bump in FB.

new hoops coach and NIT. (Don't want to ask for too much).

Kind of my dream scenario is this. Grobe wins at least one of the last 2, gets the all-time Wake record and decides it's time to retire. We hire a good younger coach like Lembo and during the 2016 season we bring Grobe back and the 2006 team and have a big 10 year anniversary celebration of the 2006 ACC title team. By 2016, any bad feelings about the downturn of the program would've faded and Grobe would be welcomed back with open arms to celebrate one heck of a team and achievement

I think those bad feelings go away the moment he retires. Though they may resurface if our new coach struggles with the current shaky foundation that is Wake football

Back