• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching last two games.

82deacman

Reaction score
I firmly believe that Bz is the wrong coach to take our program back to where we rightfully expect it to go. I was livid after the Seton Hall game because his in game job was so horrible that I felt like he left those really hard working kids hanging out to dry in the last 8 minutes of that game. Having said all of that the in game coaching has been much better the last two games. Other than long stretches of highly questionable substitution patterns, he has made decent adjustments at the right times and is using our defensive talents nicely. Overall good efforts by coaches and players since Seton Hall. Of course the real tests are to come. Can we win some games we are not supposed to? I personally don't think he can game plan and game coach well enough to do that. We will see.

The substitutions are definitely overkill. I think I know what he is trying to do in figuring out the best 5 to have out there, but he subs so frequently that it is impossible for them to get in a rhythm.

Agree with your other points.

Maybe entirely wrong; but I think the substitution patterns have been an attempt to acclimate players playing with different combinations just in case he is forced to play those combinations in league play due to fouls or injuries.

I suspect the combinations may be different in conference.

We just played two really awful teams. UNCG is terrible. I just got home from the game. Awful other than Trevis Simpson they have nothing. We should have won by 40.

UNCG did have like 3 players that could create their shot and get it off quickly. They just couldn't make it.

Also...it seemed like they were actively seeking out long 2's to shoot. I thought they were poorly coached.

We just played two really awful teams. UNCG is terrible. I just got home from the game. Awful other than Trevis Simpson they have nothing. We should have won by 40.

If this is true then kenpom is full of crap? If that is true we should stop
quoting those stats to show how bad we are...

Maybe entirely wrong; but I think the substitution patterns have been an attempt to acclimate players playing with different combinations just in case he is forced to play those combinations in league play due to fouls or injuries.

I agree with this. He sat CJ for long period in the second half, it looked like, to let the freshman run with Travis.

I mean, UNCG is 240th in KenPom. We were 200th. They were at home and he puts a lot of faith in that as well.

One game is not a very good sample size. We will finish around the same too because of our respective conferences.

I obviously should have said a Wake team of the past..... you are correct Kenpom is prolly a decent predictor of the current regime. my bad

I agree with this. He sat CJ for long period in the second half, it looked like, to let the freshman run with Travis.

My problems were leaving Devin on bench way to long after every rest, he was a beast today; leaving Travis, CJ and Cody on bench to long in second half; not puttin Cody in when we know they are pressing and fouling and not good enough use of Aaron. Otherwise ok.

we aren't going to end up ranked around 200. i think we end up in the 100-130 range. we are mediocre but not godawful like the last few yrs.

we aren't going to end up ranked around 200. i think we end up in the 100-130 range. we are mediocre but not godawful like the last few yrs.

There's no way we get to 130. Even if we go 6-12 we will be like 150th.

Looking at Xavier next, we could get that one and then once Dook feasts on us our next few ACC games are winnable. UVA, BC, @Clemson, @VT. Be nice to get 4 of the next 6. Dreaming I know...but, still would be nice.

What you said!!!

An interesting thought. Who would we cut out of minutes if we had to do it right now?

I think Madison will see diminished minutes because we will shift CJ over. Rountree will see minutes go down because when we get down early we will need offense. I think Cav and Moto will spell each other.

I still think we go 9 deep nearly every game (meaning the 9th guy gets 8-10 minutes a game).

Back