• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

manning's resume better than miller's after 2 years of coaching

miller had not made the dance, had not won his conference and had a similar record

Played in a much better conference and against better competition, though.

As has been stated, something is up with Howland. Like a hot girl with the HERP or something. Nobody's touchin' that. It looks like fun...you wish it was different...but it is what it is and you move on.

You think Mack might be objectively worse on paper than Manning? I'm not a Mack guy, and to some extent think Manning could have a higher ceiling, but Mack clearly has a stronger resume.

Yes, although I can see how someone would see it differently because he's had a couple of years with post-season success, which IMO is his biggest positive. The downward trend that Mack is on is disturbing to me. I don't know enough about Xavier's teams over the last 4 years to really know how much it bothers me. But, generally speaking when a new coach goes from good to bad to mediocre by season 4 or 5 when he has got his own guys and it's fully his own program, I get concerned. He did really well with Miller's players. He has been very mediocre with his own.

Yes, although I can see how someone would see it differently because he's had a couple of years with post-season success, which IMO is his biggest positive. The downward trend that Mack is on is disturbing to me. I don't know enough about Xavier's teams over the last 4 years to really know how much it bothers me. But, generally speaking when a new coach goes from good to bad to mediocre by season 4 or 5 when he has got his own guys and it's fully his own program, I get concerned. He did really well with Miller's players. He has been very mediocre with his own.

I don't know why I'm even bothering to post this, since Manning appears to be signed, sealed, and delivered, but that was the same concern I had about Mack. Then I DUG DEEPER, and he gets a pass on 2013 in my book. First, Mark Lyons (15.6 ppg for Arizona in '13) got shoved out, either by the school or Mack, it's hard to tell. Then Dez Wells (13.1 ppg for UMD in '13, 14.9 ppg in '14) got absolutely screwed by the school and had to leave. Then two of Xavier's three highest-rated incoming freshmen for '13, Myles Davis and Jalen Reynolds, were declared ineligible a month and a half before the season started, leaving Xavier with 8 scholarship players.

Given the circumstances (Travis Taylor was their leading returning scorer, at 4.5 ppg), I actually think it's pretty impressive that Xavier finished as well as they did, 17-14 overall and 77 in KenPom.

Mack lost to [Redacted]

January 2* 7:00 p.m. Xavier LJVM Coliseum • Winston-Salem, North Carolina ESPN3 W 66–59 7–5

I don't know why I'm even bothering to post this, since Manning appears to be signed, sealed, and delivered, but that was the same concern I had about Mack. Then I DUG DEEPER, and he gets a pass on 2013 in my book. First, Mark Lyons (15.6 ppg for Arizona in '13) got shoved out, either by the school or Mack, it's hard to tell. Then Dez Wells (13.1 ppg for UMD in '13, 14.9 ppg in '14) got absolutely screwed by the school and had to leave. Then two of Xavier's three highest-rated incoming freshmen for '13, Myles Davis and Jalen Reynolds, were declared ineligible a month and a half before the season started, leaving Xavier with 8 scholarship players.

Given the circumstances (Travis Taylor was their leading returning scorer, at 4.5 ppg), I actually think it's pretty impressive that Xavier finished as well as they did, 17-14 overall and 77 in KenPom.

There are #scoops that may indicate otherwise :willynilly:

Good stats. Of course, he does deserve some responsibility for only have 8 scholarships. Like I said, I totally understand someone thinking Mack is not an objectively worse hire than Manning. I just don't think you can say he's objectively better. I'm just not sure how, from the outside, hire Manning instead of someone like Mack can be criticized with much credibility.

Good stats. Of course, he does deserve some responsibility for only have 8 scholarships. Like I said, I totally understand someone thinking Mack is not an objectively worse hire than Manning. I just don't think you can say he's objectively better. I'm just not sure how, from the outside, hire Manning instead of someone like Mack can be criticized with much credibility.

2 Sweet Sixteens vs. 0
5 NCAAT wins vs. 0
.661 winning percentage in the A-10 and Big East vs. .576 winning percentage in CUSA
Five top-100 and two top-50 recruits in 5 years vs. two borderline 2/3-star guys in 2 years
44 years old vs. 47 years old

That's how. Does that mean he is or will be the better coach? No. I can also understand the subjective arguments, like the one put forth by cville, about not liking how Mack handled the brawl in Cincy. But objectively, Mack is clearly, beyond dispute, the better hire.

RW needs to get it together and put aside his disdain for actual winners. Idc if you won't wanna work with Howland for a few years or Negotiate with Marshall. If you don't make a real hire you won't last 3 years anyways.

Manning has no track record but he does know basketball and he's a local legend. I don't discount he could develop into a great college coach. What I do discount is that he is going to be the next head coach at Wake Forest. I think there is a lot more going on than the billboard, lunatic fringe here think is going on. I think Manning is plan B.

God I hope so. It's two weeks without a coach. This thing needs to wrap up soon.

Manning has no track record but he does know basketball and he's a local legend. I don't discount he could develop into a great college coach. What I do discount is that he is going to be the next head coach at Wake Forest. I think there is a lot more going on than the billboard, lunatic fringe here think is going on. I think Manning is plan B.

I wish I could tell you differently

God I hope so. It's two weeks without a coach. This thing needs to wrap up soon.

Wellman said it could take weeks. Whatever you think of the guy, he was not lying. Wellman knows what is on the line.

I still firmly believe, and have had it repeated to me privately, that Manning will be our next coach, but...

Kenny Beck ‏@kennybeckWXII 1m
Asked if he believed a hire was imminent, WFU's Steve Shutt paused, and said "I don't know. I'm not sure where we're at."

Coaching Search Digest *Crisis mode(?)*

I hope you are right. Most of us are smart enough to see this is a time for Wake to hire a "good coach" not a guy who "could be a good coach".

Back