• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

2 Sweet Sixteens vs. 0
5 NCAAT wins vs. 0
.661 winning percentage in the A-10 and Big East vs. .576 winning percentage in CUSA
Five top-100 and two top-50 recruits in 5 years vs. two borderline 2/3-star guys in 2 years
44 years old vs. 47 years old

That's how. Does that mean he is or will be the better coach? No. I can also understand the subjective arguments, like the one put forth by cville, about not liking how Mack handled the brawl in Cincy. But objectively, Mack is clearly, beyond dispute, the better hire.

Except for the trend. It depends on how you depend on the trend. I appreciate your stats earlier. The downward trend is disturbing. We'll find out shortly if the trend is Mack's fault or not. There's reason to wonder, particular given how successful Sean Miller has been.

And Mack to that list. So roughly 7 options that are arguably better.

rj has to have a scapegoat as to why Shaka didn't take the Wake job.

Everyone does. Be careful what you wish for ... Ron Wellman made an atrocious decision. Atrocious. He's made a lot of good ones too.

Except for the trend. It depends on how you depend on the trend. I appreciate your stats earlier. The downward trend is disturbing. We'll find out shortly if the trend is Mack's fault or not. There's reason to wonder, particular given how successful Sean Miller has been.

I live in Cincy. I'd rather have Manning than Mack. Mack is meh. I just don't think he is an elite coach. He's solid. But I just don't see that higher level potential.

Pretty incredible that Ron missed on all of the following:

1) Marshall
2) Smart
3) A. Miller
4) Howland
5) White

His management of WFU over the last 4 years has been, at best, a D (Clawson hire was objectively reasonable).

But maybe I'm reading too much into the Parish article.

White simply isn't some elite level coach compared to Manning.

I'll tell you what's interesting. When you read the national articles about Wake and look at the comments section. Most people are talking about how good of a coach Manning is and how he is known as one of the best big man coaches in the country. Then you have Wake Forest fans on there commenting on the article that he is not good enough to be at Wake. Simply an observation.

I absolutely think we consciously chose Manning over Howland. At this point had we offered Howland $2-2.2M, he'd have been in Winston quicker than Ish to the hoop.

This has to be accurate. And not only did Wake choose someone before Howland, other schools chose someone else before Howland as well.

Disappointing to read the Perish article, where money seems like the deciding factor for a guy that doesn't need it. I was hoping he'd talk about the opportunity Wake presented him and being able to compete in the ACC.

He hasn't left yet. You don't say that before you have (officially) left your prior job.

I'll tell you what's interesting. When you read the national articles about Wake and look at the comments section. Most people are talking about how good of a coach Manning is and how he is known as one of the best big man coaches in the country. Then you have Wake Forest fans on there commenting on the article that he is not good enough to be at Wake. Simply an observation.

Plenty of folks outside of Wake said Buzz was a good, if not great, hire...

He hasn't left yet. You don't say that before you have (officially) left your prior job.

If you're worried about your prior job, players, etc, you also don't run around giving quotes to the media about how interested Wake is in you and how you're interviewing for the position.

2 Sweet Sixteens vs. 0
5 NCAAT wins vs. 0
.661 winning percentage in the A-10 and Big East vs. .576 winning percentage in CUSA
Five top-100 and two top-50 recruits in 5 years vs. two borderline 2/3-star guys in 2 years
44 years old vs. 47 years old

That's how. Does that mean he is or will be the better coach? No. I can also understand the subjective arguments, like the one put forth by cville, about not liking how Mack handled the brawl in Cincy. But objectively, Mack is clearly, beyond dispute, the better hire.

NO! He is the safe hire bc of his resume but he inherited a great program left by Miller which if you look closely every year there has been a downward trend. If you look at Danny he took over a shit program and in 2 years got them to the NCAAT
Mack's Wins
09-10--26
10-11--24
11-12--23
12-13--17
13-14--21 in a Big Least conference on top of big wins over Albeline Christian/Gardner Webb/Bowling Green/Morehead State/Evansville/Miami of Ohio....wahoooo

Last edited:

Recognizing that a guy was a great assistant coach is not the same thing as saying that he's a great head coach. Different skill sets.

Also note that Manning didn't seem to be the complete package as an assistant either. A player development guy, not a recruiter. Not that he had to be on that staff, but certainly worth noting.

And at face value his record at Tulsa really isn't very encouraging at all. Yes, he made the tournament this year, but from an actual W-L perspective, Wojcik had better in a tougher conference. With a deeper dive it's better: A) Same basic team improved a bunch from year 1 to year 2. B) team is still very young (albeit not recruited by Manning). But, still, not a huge wow factor there at all. I don't view this as much different from hiring a top assistant from an elite program. And that's fine, let's just be realistic about the risk here.

As always, staff is really key here. If he moves his Tulsa staff to Wake we're probably in trouble. But, get him to bring in some of the top guys from the Self / Brown world, well we could be in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
Plenty of folks outside of Wake said Buzz was a good, if not great, hire...

If someone from outside calls a Wake hire a great hire, follow up with "Will this coach get Wake to the Final Four?" If they say no, they have too low an opinion of Wake and different definitions of "great hire." If they say yes, they might actually not be disingenuous.

They're just trumpeting the ESPN and talking head lines. We Wake fans have to live with the hire and have done our research. It is a mediocre hire at best, on par with Wojo.

NO! He is the safe hire bc of his resume but he inherited a great program left by Miller which if you look closely every year there has been a downward trend. If you look at Danny he took over a shit program and in 2 years got them to the NCAAT
Mack's Wins
09-10--26
10-11--24
11-12--23
12-13--17
13-14--21 in a Big Least conference on top of big wins over Albeline Christian/Gardner Webb/Bowling Green/Morehead State/Evansville/Miami of Ohio....wahoooo

Let's be clear, Danny took over a shit program that won 17 games his first year, after winning a similar number the year before he got here, and then won FOUR MORE GAMES in a plundered CUSA.

Great. He won an incredibly weak conference and lost lost to UCLA. If that's our fucking standard lets just hire the guy from Wofford.

If you're worried about your prior job, players, etc, you also don't run around giving quotes to the media about how interested Wake is in you and how you're interviewing for the position.

Agree 100%. I wasn't impressed with the way he handled that.

Back