• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach's Hot Seat Watch:SBNAtion

Grobe's blurb from article.

Jim Grobe, Wake Forest

Last week: Lost, 56-7, at Clemson
Record: 2-3
Years: 14
Overall record: 108-109
School record: 75-77
Three-year record: 13-17
Salary: $2,254,798
Three-year dollars per win: $520,338
Buyout: Unknown; $11.5 million remaining on contract
Football ratio: Unknown
Subsidy: None

I don't care how apathetic you are about your football program, a 49-point loss to a conference foe should turn the heat up a bit. A 49-point loss where your team was down 21-0 after just eight minutes should count double. A 49-point loss where your team was down 21-0 after just eight minutes, converted just 2/14 on third down, and was outgained 573-222 should probably get you a stern talking to from your boss.

Grobe's squad is now 2-3. The Demon Deacons are 107th nationally in both rushing offense and scoring offense. The once-stingy defense was incinerated by Tajh Boyd, with upcoming games against NC State, Maryland, Miami, and Florida State not looking too promising. A 4-8 record looks extremely likely, and that should be enough to end this, even at Wake Forest.

ooooooh, Mama dey put all that man's business out there!

[h=5]Jim Grobe, Wake Forest[/h]Last week: Lost, 56-7, at Clemson

"A 4-8 record looks extremely likely, and that should be enough to end this, even at Wake Forest."

This person is an optimist or has not seen us play.

why did wellman agree to pay grobe so much?
so he wouldn't jump i assume

CRAZY

fire grobe pay a coach what we are paying buzz and get a great bball coach here for grobe's salary

fuck football

Last edited:
Agreed. That is a best case. More likely is another 3-9 season, not that I know who we would beat.

"A 4-8 record looks extremely likely, and that should be enough to end this, even at Wake Forest."

it's amazing, he acknowledges our LOWF status, and then states how this is poor for even LOWF. lol

I'd almost take 4-8 and walk to the clubhouse at this point.

[h=5]Jim Grobe, Wake Forest[/h]Last week: Lost, 56-7, at Clemson

Hmm, this would have been useful to the banner boyz.

Grobe's blurb from article.

Jim Grobe, Wake Forest

Last week: Lost, 56-7, at Clemson

I don't care how apathetic you are about your football program, a 49-point loss to a conference foe should turn the heat up a bit. A 49-point loss where your team was down 21-0 after just eight minutes should count double. A 49-point loss where your team was down 21-0 after just eight minutes, converted just 2/14 on third down, and was outgained 573-222 should probably get you a stern talking to from your boss.

Grobe's squad is now 2-3. The Demon Deacons are 107th nationally in both rushing offense and scoring offense. The once-stingy defense was incinerated by Tajh Boyd, with upcoming games against NC State, Maryland, Miami, and Florida State not looking too promising. A 4-8 record looks extremely likely, and that should be enough to end this, even at Wake Forest.

pff yeah right, not at LOWF

why did wellman agree to pay grobe so much?
so he wouldn't jump i assume

CRAZY

fire grobe pay a coach what we are paying buzz and get a great bball coach her for grobe's salary

fuck football

Yeah, Im kinda this.

With football, you get the apologists excuses about how difficult it is to compete here given our size and academics and blah (despite the fact that were in the ACC) but with basketball everybody and their momas know their is no "structural" excuse for our performance. Sure we get made up, melodramatic narratives about culture problems and wait til next year, but no one can put together anything that says we shouldn't expect more. At this point, I rather just concede to to the apologist that we can't do better in football, then make them acknowledge that if this is true lets not pay someone 2.3 million a year to fail, get someone in here for 350k, and put all of our efforts into our basketball program.

Yup pretty much on the money. Jim has to go. He couldn't surround himself by competent staff. The military bullshit loyalty thing has killed the program. Bye bye

There are 7 games left so the law of averages says that even a bad acc team should find a way to win 1 game, possibly 2. But herein lies the rub. Were not a bad acc team, were a bad D-1 college team, so in actuality we really don't have 7 games left: We have 4 mandatory events to participate in in Maryland, Miami , FSU, and Vandy-(don't lie to yourself and say we are in a league with Vandy, thet were within 10 pts of S carolina with a quarter to play) that give us 4 automatic losses. But I don't count these games, in fact I see them as just exercises and character building experiences. Honestly we should be getting a check to play them like every other bad, small conference D-1 school. So we really have 3 games were able to compete in. But to win 2 would mean we went 2 out of 3 and as I stated, what bad D-1 school wins 2 out of 3?

I can easily see us going 2-10 or maybe 3-9. It does not cost 2.3 million for these results.

Got my hair cut at Mount Tabor the other day and the barber said that going to the Orange Bowl might have been the worst thing for Wake fans because now we expect to do that every year. He was right that the OB was bad for Wake fans, but not because it skewed expectations, he was right because the Orange Bowl bought Grobe a damn near life-time contract. Grobe is near retirement age making over 2 mil a year, has complete autonomy over his program, and he works for an AD and school with zero pressure and expectations. People say that the Wake football job is one of the worst in D1, but I bet Jim Grobe would disagree; He's on easy street. It's no wonder he didn't go to Arkansas, he'd have just gotten fired in 2 seasons and now he'd be the linebackers coach for the Miami Redhawks making peanuts.

Got my hair cut at Mount Tabor the other day and the barber said that going to the Orange Bowl might have been the worst thing for Wake fans because now we expect to do that every year. He was right that the OB was bad for Wake fans, but not because it skewed expectations, he was right because the Orange Bowl bought Grobe a damn near life-time contract. Grobe is near retirement age making over 2 mil a year, has complete autonomy over his program, and he works for an AD and school with zero pressure and expectations. People say that the Wake football job is one of the worst in D1, but I bet Jim Grobe would disagree; He's on easy street. It's no wonder he didn't go to Arkansas, he'd have just gotten fired in 2 seasons and now he'd be the linebackers coach for the Miami Redhawks making peanuts.

That is just plain wrong. I don't think any Wake fan expects that every year or even once a decade. I think we all knew how special that season was and we had better enjoy it because it wouldn't be a common occurrence. I think what I and most Wake fans expect is a competitive football team like Grobe fielded with regularity through 2009. I expect us to have the opportunity to be playing for post-season almost every year, I expect us to have really good years where we win 8+ games at least once over a 5 year period, I expect us to look like a competently coached football team every time out and those things aren't happening now.

Yup, agree with just about everything. Funny thing is, I mean not to go all Bud Kilmer on everybody, but we lost the f'ing game.

Yup, agree with just about everything. Funny thing is, I mean not to go all Bud Kilmer on everybody, but we lost the f'ing game.

1. Doesn't matter-got paid
2. It's like Mickey says to Rocky in Rocky III, "You ain't been hungry since you won that belt".

That is just plain wrong. I don't think any Wake fan expects that every year or even once a decade. I think we all knew how special that season was and we had better enjoy it because it wouldn't be a common occurrence. I think what I and most Wake fans expect is a competitive football team like Grobe fielded with regularity through 2009. I expect us to have the opportunity to be playing for post-season almost every year, I expect us to have really good years where we win 8+ games at least once over a 5 year period, I expect us to look like a competently coached football team every time out and those things aren't happening now.

I don't think what you're saying and what mydeaconmyhand is saying are diametrically apposed. What you're asking for though requires money (which we are spending in spades on grobe) and effort from our front office...our Front office has already shown there hand, and are not interested in doing that; that 1 steak per recruit post says all you need to know. So let's just quit spending money on it and dedicate it all to basketball. For Christ Sakes SMU just stole Kentucky's Emmanuel Mundiay! That's something were supposed to be doing every 2 or 3 years.

Back