• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach's Luncheon Recap

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to try and copy and paste what has already been posted and add a few other things. If you were there, feel free to chime in.

Stan Cotton introduced Jen Hoover as the first speaker. She broke down each individual player, and said their goal this year was to make the postseason, and also win a championship if possible, but also acknowledged our lack of success in the past and that we play in the best basketball conference in the country. She's optimistic but knows it'll be a tough go. There are a few womens/mens basketball doubleheaders, notably on NYE.

Then Manning spoke. After Clawson he came back to answer some questions. For laziness, I'm going to combine both parts here. He wants to play fast and have a balanced team. One player score 12 a game, another 10, another 8, another 6, and so on. That way it minimizes the impact any one player has when the other team focuses on them. Offensively, sometimes you can do everything right and the ball still doesnt go in. His focus is playing hard defense, all the time. He's been impressed with the new S&C that's been done, we should see a noticeable change in appearance this fall from our guys. Dinos and Mitch arrived for both summer school sessions and are ahead of Hudson. The team understands its a clean slate and that you're going to have to work your butt off to play. Right now 10 guys are practicing, but only 5 can make it in the game at any given time. The best 5 will play regardless. Who starts is not important but its who finishes the game. If a player is having a bad game, and his replacement is doing better, you might not see the "starter" go back in. Regarding Green's injury, Manning had 3 of those injuries in his career. It took roughly 11 months to feel good again afterwards. Once cleared from rehab, Green will have to work on his function again. To me it sounded like he didnt feel Green would contribute much this year without a stroke of luck. He was asked if he would give the ref's an earful, and he said he didnt mind them calling it badly, as long as it was on both sides. Said he was ejected last year at MD when he yelled "unbelievable" at the ACC refs.

Excellent Coaches Luncheon today!! All 3 coaches were excellent. Especially loved Coach Manning's answer to the question about last year & our free throws.
"I wasn't here last year so that is not an issue" "But just step up & make the damn things" At the end of the games, those that are making them will be the ones in the game if the game is on the line.

That's what he also said. He had a decent FT percentage, but he still missed more than he made.

Clawson was up there far and away the longest. He went third and was the first to answer questions. He hates being 2-5, and hates the play calling (the inside draws) but its what we can do without risking too much, especially against Syracuse. When Sousa was in the game, we were down to 3 potential plays we could call because he'd had so little time running the offense, mostly due to being suspended for 3 games. We essentially have 1 QB going into BC. Cameron hasnt practiced due to his knee and Sousa hasnt thrown due to his wrist. We are vastly undersized. He's working on it through recruiting, but it'll take some time. He said the only offense that doesnt rely on blocking the DL and giving your QB time is the Wishbone, and we're not going to run it. We will struggle, but he's seeing improvement, which is all he can ask. The guys are getting beaten down each week, but still playing their hearts out.

He didnt really go into it other than saying he wants 1 or 2 QBs. He basically said our focus should be on a supporting cast for Wolford, needing playmaking WRs and TBs that can break tackles.

Clawson mentioned we dont have any pass rushing ends on the roster at the moment. Our ends are undersized, and the only way we can get pressure is by bringing in 7 or 8 LB/S's and trying to confuse the offense as to where the blitz is coming from.

He also talked about how OLs are the slowest to develop and that most of the team's we've faced had Sr/rSR/GS as their OL. You can sneak in a F or so into the mix, but you cant start as many young guys as we have and expect to be able to move the ball. They're just too overpowered by bigger, stronger, experienced DLs.

I'll add more later, and hopefully others will chime in. I really enjoyed hearing all three of them speak, and very impressed with the football and basketball hires. I came away confident that they'll get us headed in the right direction. It may take time, but it'll happen.

Dinos and Mitch arrived for both summer school sessions and are ahead of Hudson.
I believe you mean Rondale and not Dinos here.

Thanks for posting, tsy. Greatly appreciated.

He was asked if Wolford's play satisfied him. Mentioned that he was 30/38 against GW, and 5 of those were tipped balls. He also played well against Army. Granted they were inferior opponents, but when he had time to make his decisions, they were generally good.

I briefly discussed this in the first post, but he brought up how his offense has proven to be good in the past, he just needs to bring in personnel to match it. He isnt interested in changing it based upon current personnel, because he'd rather guys who have been in the system perfect it over their time here rather than have to learn a new offense each year (unintentional Lobo dig). He's interested in being here for the long haul, and is going to take his time to rebuild it the right way. He also mentioned how impressive the construction of the indoor practice facility has been to recruits. He said our two big TE commits for next year are here in a large part because of that improvement.

He mentioned that he's slowly convincing people that we can recruit great athletes to Wake. The academics are second to none, and if he can get kids on campus they often times leave impressed.

I believe you mean Rondale and not Dinos here.

Thanks for posting, tsy. Greatly appreciated.

Yeah, that's right. Rondale and Mitch. Dinos was playing with his country team all summer.

He mentioned the S&C coach said over the summer he could put 15lbs of muscle on the frosh and get an extra 1" on the vertical. I was surprised at how young the S&C coach was.

Yeah, that's right. Rondale and Mitch. Dinos was playing with his country team all summer.

He mentioned the S&C coach said over the summer he could put 15lbs of muscle on the frosh and get an extra 1" on the vertical. I was surprised at how young the S&C coach was.

I'm just imagining Kwe Parker with an extra inch of vertical.

I think Wolford has the potential to be an upper-tier ACC quarterback. I wonder who the emergency backup is if Wolford gets hurt this week.

I think Wolford has the potential to be an upper-tier ACC quarterback. I wonder who the emergency backup is if Wolford gets hurt this week.

Donatel was a QB in high school wasn't he? I imagine Sousa would probably play and we'd just run the ball though.....Facepalm

Correct me if I'm wrong but never heard Grobe or any player mention our previous S&C coach in such a fashion.

Clawson was up there far and away the longest. He went third and was the first to answer questions. He hates being 2-5, and hates the play calling (the inside draws) but its what we can do without risking too much, especially against Syracuse

I sorta grasp/understand this but also feel he should try some trickery at this point. Might give the kids a mental lift, make us less predictable and just give opponents a little pause on D. Heck, not like we have anything to lose at this point....just 2-3 plays....anything, maybe a fake punt, direct snap to the RB, a reverse on a KO....something.

Clawson also mentioned that help was coming in that 15 frosh were red shirted and six of those were linemen. Also stated that 12 of the 15 would be playing next year.

Clawson also mentioned that help was coming in that 15 frosh were red shirted and six of those were linemen. Also stated that 12 of the 15 would be playing next year.

Yet had just got done saying that lineman are not good till their third year. The 6 lineman he is referring to will be in their second year as RS Frosh (if he is talking abt the oh-line.

I sorta grasp/understand this but also feel he should try some trickery at this point. Might give the kids a mental lift, make us less predictable and just give opponents a little pause on D. Heck, not like we have anything to lose at this point....just 2-3 plays....anything, maybe a fake punt, direct snap to the RB, a reverse on a KO....something.

Clawson strikes me as a cerebral risk vs reward guy. He's not likely to try the trick plays unless he's confident he has the players to pull it off. Heck, we are still spending a lot of time on the basics.

The final question to Clawson was from an older gentleman who said something like "I like listening to you talk as much as I did Jim Grobe, but I've got a question for Coach Manning". That just struck me as odd, and slightly rude.

On defense he said he'd like to get us rotating 19-21 guys in and out throughout the game. We are averaging between 12-15 due to the depth issues.

Back to Manning a second. He mentioned in addition to the one exhibition game, we are having a closed door scrimmage at the College of Charleston. He prefers those instead of exhibition games because they give the opportunity to work on individual situations for 10-15 min at a time against live competition. Exhibition games, the situation comes and goes without providing any real teaching. He's regretting how busy the schedule is, sometimes playing games every 2-3 days. You have very little instructional time during those weeks, its mostly preparing for the upcoming game.

Thanks for the recap. Much appreciated.

I really like Manning's style. No horseshit answers like we heard CONSTANTLY from [Redacted]. You would think Manning knows what it's like to win a national title just from hearing him speak. :thumbsup:

The reason I won't watch another game this season.....Clawson's insistance on running 50 slow motion handoffs to a tailback who is usually in the arms of a defender when he gets the ball....got nothing on Lobo.....

We are so bad I would probably resort to cut blocking and some option. Try to get some first downs and run clock. We are terrible. Worst offense ever. Ever.

Clawson was up there far and away the longest. He went third and was the first to answer questions. He hates being 2-5, and hates the play calling (the inside draws) but its what we can do without risking too much, especially against Syracuse. When Sousa was in the game, we were down to 3 potential plays we could call because he'd had so little time running the offense, mostly due to being suspended for 3 games. We essentially have 1 QB going into BC. Cameron hasnt practiced due to his knee and Sousa hasnt thrown due to his wrist. We are vastly undersized. He's working on it through recruiting, but it'll take some time. He said the only offense that doesnt rely on blocking the DL and giving your QB time is the Wishbone, and we're not going to run it. We will struggle, but he's seeing improvement, which is all he can ask. The guys are getting beaten down each week, but still playing their hearts out.
This is not a true statement. Auburn, Clemson, and many others, including tons of high school programs run the inverted veer out of the gun that is very effective and incorporated the jet, bubble, and veer blocking scheme. I would say it has worked pretty well for those folks.

Back