• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coby Davis Out For the Season

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score

Bummer. Assume this is the end of his career (even if he has eligibility, this is his 3rd season ending injury)

Wingfield is gonna take his spot, Jermal Martin (the D-II transfer) is listed as his backup.

Last edited:
Man ... this fucking blows. I like to think I have good relationships with most players but there are some who you just get to know better than others and can get on the same page with easier and Coby was one of those. That kid is always smiling.

I remember the morning after the Birmingham Bowl (2018), I had a 7ish flight out. Early enough that I ran into a few players who were wearing uniforms and, uh, clearly hadn't been to sleep either. I ran into Coby after getting through security and he was so fired up about getting cleared to start running that week.

So unfortunate. Clawson said they thought they had the next Bates. Would love for him to come back in some capacity

That is tough news for Coby. Good to hear that Wake is supporting him, whether he tries to play in year 7 or starts his coaching career.

Awful. Just awful. Best of luck to him first in his recovery and then whatever else is next for him in life. Sounds like a great young man and I'm sure he will figure out his new path sooner than later.

Super bummed for him. At least he'll carry with him the memory of his pick 6 from his last game.

Can Zamari Stevenson play nickel?
Not saying it's impossible you see him out there, but he was on the perimeter all camp. When you consider the guys they have playing nickel are all older, tend to think it's a position you won't see many first- or second-year players at.

I wrote in August about how nickel is the most-demanding position in the modern college defense. You've got to be part cover-corner, part weakside linebacker. Run with somebody like Josh Downs but hold up in run support. That's why against the teams that run 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TEs), you'll see Chase Jones as their "nickel."

Cool. How good is the kid from California-PA?

Seems like beating Clemson just got tougher.
A lot harder to cover and tackle when your left hand is in a cast.

Coby and Isaiah Wingfield were/are playing at high levels.

Jermal Martin Jr. came in in the summer and was taking more snaps as a 2nd-team CB than nickel over the last 2 weeks of fall camp.

(hopefully this has answered your question)

Yes, thanks. Nick Anderson is not playing nickel, but assume he adds some depth to the secondary soon as well???
Clawson said yesterday they're looking at getting him back around the off week, give or take a week or two before or after.

Given the off week is a month away; given Clawson thought early in camp that Andersen would be back in the middle of camp ... I'd put Andersen firmly in the "start counting on him for depth when you actually see him suit up for a game" category.

Until then, your secondary depth comes from getting Evan Slocum up to speed, Christian Masterson maybe giving you some snaps, Zamari Stevenson and/or DaShawn Jones giving the CBs a break.

Back