• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

The HS kid lost his chance. The college player didn't.

From the NBA perspective, GMs are likely to overrate the potential of the HS kid.

Not sure what the first paragraph means. Chance for what?

Agree with the second.

Love how spun up Ph gets about allowing adults that want to play in the NBA to simply pursue that opportunity.

If Zion Williamson would've been a top 5 pick last year, why force him to attend Duke for 8 months only to have him withdraw from school next April, while risking potential injury that could adversely impact his ability to earn life changing money?

For a handful of elite prospects a year, it's ridiculous to force them to pretend to be college students for a portion of the year; just to delay their ability to enter in the NBA draft. It makes NCAA basketball look like a farce. It creates an overwhelming incentive for the recruiting system to become a bidding war as these players only see themselves as professional basketball players, it penalizes schools that play by the rules or that only sign kids that actually plan to graduate and it prevents kids that should be starting their professional careers from doing that. Makes no sense why a great HS baseball player can start his pro career after HS, but a pro basketball player cannot. Pure discrimination.

The limitation is by the NBAPA, not the NCAA. Any kid who feels he deserves to be paid can be paid anywhere in the world. A lot more than the G League. No one forces them to go to college. You can't make an organization hire someone. The organization can set their own rules. Or is it some inalienable right to get paid to play ball?

Some are still clinging to the notion of "the good old days" of true amateurism. That ship has sailed. Genie is out of the bottle. There is no going back. College basketball is a billion dollar business, and the market value of its players is more than a college scholarship. It does not matter if one or twenty kids go pro or D-League. Unless the market for college basketball changes, the market for its players will be greater than the scholarship, and additional money will find its way to those players. The only question is whether that money will be open market or black market. How much money is Zion worth to Duke basketball (and Nike) this year? A hell of a lot more than $70k.

Some are still clinging to the notion of "the good old days" of true amateurism. That ship has sailed. Genie is out of the bottle. There is no going back. College basketball is a billion dollar business, and the market value of its players is more than a college scholarship. It does not matter if one or twenty kids go pro or D-League. Unless the market for college basketball changes, the market for its players will be greater than the scholarship, and additional money will find its way to those players. The only question is whether that money will be open market or black market. How much money is Zion worth to Duke basketball (and Nike) this year? A hell of a lot more than $70k.

good post, agree completely

just go with the euro soccer model and be done with it. athletes go to athletic academies and the rest of us go to academic universities.

The limitation is by the NBAPA, not the NCAA. Any kid who feels he deserves to be paid can be paid anywhere in the world. A lot more than the G League. No one forces them to go to college. You can't make an organization hire someone. The organization can set their own rules. Or is it some inalienable right to get paid to play ball?

It’s an inalienable right to get paid for your labor

I actually think the two year model will work better than one and done. If soon can't chill for 20 months at duke, he can go play in Spain or Italy for euros.

just go with the euro soccer model and be done with it. athletes go to athletic academies and the rest of us go to academic universities.

Many Europeans are advocating for the American sports model, because they see the benefits of tying it to education. Judy Murray (Andy's mom and very progressive voice for change in TENNIS!) is a strong advocate of sending European kids to the US to play sports and get a college degree at the same time.

I disagree. We have amateur and pro sports in the US across a large number of sports, each with their own unique set of challenges. But if an athlete wants to try to play professionally, we should let them, and not force them into attending college when they really do not want to be student athletes.

As an aside, it's interesting to me that this is one of the few topics for which political parties have not clearly delineated their stance. I think it generates more interesting discussion than many other topics, because people are not 100% guided by their politics. We have hard-core conservatives and liberals often agreeing, in either direction, on this thread.

I actually think the two year model will work better than one and done. If soon can't chill for 20 months at duke, he can go play in Spain or Italy for euros.

I disagree. Forcing kids to attend college when they really just want to get paid, generates the most significant problems we are currently seeing. Making them attend even more college is not the answer.

I disagree. We have amateur and pro sports in the US across a large number of sports, each with their own unique set of challenges. But if an athlete wants to try to play professionally, we should let them, and not force them into attending college when they really do not want to be student athletes.

"amateur"

Being a student athlete is not labor. Did you play high school or college sports, by chance? Did you consider it a job?

Sure it is. People do carpentry as a hobby too, but when folks pay for the end product, carpenters should get paid. We pay for the product of student athletes’ labor. They should be compensated.

Sure it is. People do carpentry as a hobby too, but when folks pay for the end product, carpenters should get paid. We pay for the product of student athletes’ labor. They should be compensated.

I disagree. People pay to watch high school sports, and even youth sports. Are those kids working jobs?

I disagree. People pay to watch high school sports, and even youth sports. Are those kids working jobs?

Sure. Just they would be walking around with $.35 in their pockets for their share in the gate sales.

Sure. Just they would be walking around with $.35 in their pockets for their share in the gate sales.

I have to pay more per game to watch my son play AAU basketball than I do for my Wake season tickets ($10-15 per AAU session), and that's not an exaggeration. High school football players in Texas would be getting a lot more than "$0.35 in their pockets."

Back