• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Basketball's Most Tortured Fanbases

That list would be better titled "Fanbases that feel Entitled"

Lol what a joke of a list. UNC on the list but no NCSU or WF? okay....

I really like Will Leitsch but he basically writes sports articles for people who don't watch sports.

Will Leitch is a midwest guy/Illinois fan, so I expected a Big 10 bias, but, yeah, any list of tortured college basketball fan bases that doesn't include Wake and NC State is nuts.

NC State is the number 1 tortured fan base. In addition they are number 1 at torturing another fan base.

Wow, what a crock.

He has Unc, Duke, Kentucky and UCLA in the top 25?

The should be dead fucking last.

Our own fundraisers torture us:

vg4jfOO.png

UPDATE: I have exchanged emails with Will Leitch and received assurances we will be on the list next year. Will post shortly.

My email:

Will,

Love your stuff, but man oh man, sit back and behold the ballad of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons.

The Deacs haven't been to a Final Four since Billy Packer was its point guard in 1962. That is Wake's only trip to the Final 4. Had 2 of the best players at their positions in the HISTORY OF BASKETBALL in Tim Duncan and Chris Paul and still couldn't get there. Had the National Player of the Year in Josh Howard in 2003 and lost as a #2 seed to a #10 seed in the 2nd round. Had a starting lineup featuring 4 future NBA players in 2009 (James Johnson, Jeff Teague, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Ish Smith) and got utterly destroyed in the 1st round by Cleveland freaking State. Ranked #1 in the country at one point in both 2005 and 2009 and failed to even make the Sweet 16 either season.

And the coup de grace, William, the real kick in the nuts: OUR HEAD COACH FREAKING DIED. Seriously, what other program can claim to have had its beloved head coach die suddenly and unexpectedly? He was murdered by God. RIP, Skip Prosser.

Adding insult to injury of course is the fact that UNC and Duke are 45 minutes away, going to Final 4s and winning national championships like it's their job. UNC's motto this year was "Redemption," like they endured so much suffering by advancing to their billionth Final 4 and losing in the title game last year, that they DESERVED a national title this year. And the motherfuckers got it. Sigh.

Keep up the good work, but next year when you do this list, I expect the Deacs to be pretty high up on this bad boy, assuming there isn't a shocking rash of coaches' deaths in the next 12 months.

Reply:

I think you have convinced me! I think they should have been on there. Next year: They will be!

Best,
Will

Back