• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Bball Thread

And by exposure they meant "you won't win" (wrong as that perhaps may have been)

No the argument was about how it was a "business decision". He was sold on how important it was to start "building your brand" with your one year in college and how he could not risk the lack of exposure he would get by going to Wake.

If true (not sure where you're getting all this info), I think the takeaway is Giles is a douchenozzle, not that every recruit seeks "exposure"

If true (not sure where you're getting all this info), I think the takeaway is Giles is a douchenozzle, not that every recruit seeks "exposure"

It was a common refrain from the Duke 247 recruiting guru that their fans make such a big deal about. The business decision and exposure stuff gets tweeted a lot by by basketball recruiting analysts and is parroted by recruits.

I am not trying to claim that was the only factor in Giles decision but it was definitely one that got played up a lot.

It was a common refrain from the Duke 247 recruiting guru that their fans make such a big deal about. The business decision and exposure stuff gets tweeted a lot by by basketball recruiting analysts and is parroted by recruits.

I am not trying to claim that was the only factor in Giles decision but it was definitely one that got played up a lot.
The business angle is a legitimate one, but it's a lot more than simply tv exposure. Duke and UK are pipelines to the NBA with all the obvious benefits and advantages that entails. Yeah, great for LSU getting Simmons on ESPN a few times, but how familiar is their staff with NBA scouting and drafting vs Duke or UK? Fortunately for Simmons he's a sure bet top 3 draft pick, so those missed benefits aren't as important, but for a fringe top 25 recruit who could go either way with the right development, its much more important. For those players its advantageous to have a coach who has a contact for every NBA franchise. Its only a few teams that can seriously hold a preseason combine for their players and have 20 or 25 teams show up. The fucking ball boys at UK and Duke have been evaluated by NBA scouts. That "exposure" becomes very important at the end of the year when players get 2 or 3 weeks to decide whether or not to enter the draft.

Last edited:
for a fringe top 25 recruit who could go either way with the right development, its much more important. For those players its advantageous to have a coach who has a contact for every NBA franchise.

Except we're talking about Giles, man.

Except we're talking about Giles, man.
Its a fact that many more people watch Duke basketball than Wake. Duke could trot out 5 walkons all season and they'd still be the top tv draw in the country. There is a certain importance in that popularity, but players like Giles or Simmons don't really need Duke or UK for tv exposure. Any reasonable fan of either program should realize that.

Uh, yeah, so exactly what everyone was saying.
The obviousness of the point should make it pretty clear that Cal and K arent using tv exposure in their recruiting pitch to the most elite recruits (Simmons, Skal, Wiggins, Davis, Okafor). Now take a player like Ivan Rabb or Jaylen Brown at Cal. You think those players wouldnt be getting much more exposure at a UK, Kansas, or Duke?

Last edited:
I've heard more about Chieck Diallo this season then either of them, and he doesnt even start for Kansas

Lay off the KSR, it rots the mind
I realize that my UK fanhood discourages many of you from agreeing with any of my posts about basketball, but i'm giving a reasonable analysis here whether or not I get credit for it.

Sweet edit on that last post four minutes after my response.

Sweet edit on that last post four minutes after my response.
Not sure what you mean. I'm not trying to derail the thread any further, I just wanted to post my rebuttal to ph's post about exposure.

Our guys need to study Loisville's defense against State, particularly against the high screen.

PS: except for the last 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Shame we only get BC once (and at home) this year.

OUCH!

OOF!

WOAH!

Our guys need to study Loisville's defense against State, particularly against the high screen.

PS: except for the last 3 minutes.

If we lose to State then we can just about kiss our hopes of a NCAAT berth goodbye.

I realize that my UK fanhood discourages many of you from agreeing with any of my posts about basketball, but i'm giving a reasonable analysis here whether or not I get credit for it.

Lol this is basically just the doofus post about Giles not coming to Wake

And UCLA beats #7 Arizona.

It's nice that our early wins are becoming more and more valuable - we need to, you know, win some more games though.

Back