• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College coaches discuss which school made the best offseason basketball hire

Beat out by Rice, Marist, and Loyola Marymount. Yikes.

Did you know VCU and Louisville have created more head coaches in the past half-decade than any other program? Five apiece.

Meh....Manning wasn't even on our lists, he was under the radar. I don't understand the love for Pearl though, even the comments seem strange like:

Although I am a bit of a purist and completely disagree with the apparent lack of integrity, Bruce Pearl to Auburn was the best hire in terms of giving a program a chance to resurrect.

So the dude actually voted Pearl number 1 recognizing his integrity issues?? Isn't he the most likely to also crater the program?

Sad considering Manning is easily the most famous person out of that list.

picture.php

Sad considering Manning is easily the most famous person out of that list.
I'm not sure that's true. He was in the college bball news 1 year 26 years ago...and then didn't have a superstar NBA career so he sort of become forgotten. Some of the coaches they polled are probably pretty young...a 35 yr old coach would have been 10. Pearl was in the news constantly for years. He has a much bigger "brand".

I'm 3 years older than a 35 year old coach. I would be very surprised if they didn't know who Manning is. You'd have a point if you weren't talking about basketball coaches.

Don't see how being "famous" would have anything to do with it. Other coaches probably based their opinions on head coaching performance and coaching reputation and while last year was great for him, Danny just has two years of experience.

The few Wojo votes dispute this some, but those are people sucking up to Coach K or the Duke coaching tree voting.

We all are aware that it's risky and I'd pick Pearl or Buzz Williams too.

Last edited:
Famous matters because it's not like Manning would be under the radar. He coached in the tournament last year. He went to an ACC school. Real sad he's not see by his peers as a good hire.

Manning should beat Wojo on most measures and he didn't.

Other than Buzz and Pearl, no coach was named by more than 7% of the poll respondents. Beyond those first two, there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to which schools the best hires.

I see Tony Greene, a NCAA ref on a regular basis, great dude. He loves the Manning hire for us, he said Danny's one of the most well respected basketball minds around and he should be a great fit at Wake. Tony knows his stuff, it made me feel a lot better after talking to him about it several times.

Meh....Manning wasn't even on our lists, he was under the radar. I don't understand the love for Pearl though, even the comments seem strange like:

So the dude actually voted Pearl number 1 recognizing his integrity issues?? Isn't he the most likely to also crater the program?

Pearl was a great hire for Auburn IMO. A bit of a risk yes. But Auburn has been irrelevant in hoops for years. Pearl has brought great enthusiasm and publicity to the program already. He will recruit well. Auburn will be relevant again.

I believe Manning is a good fit for Wake. We will get better. I think you have to be strong in the paint to win and he's going to make that happen.

Famous matters because it's not like Manning would be under the radar. He coached in the tournament last year. He went to an ACC school. Real sad he's not see by his peers as a good hire.

Manning should beat Wojo on most measures and he didn't.

Agree...he is a part of March Madness folklore. This hire should be getting more attention. But ultimately I just want him to succeed and he should get a lot of deferred attention.

Back