• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Rankings Season Begins

davedc

Reaction score
It's college rankings season again. USAToday and College Factual trying to beat USNews to the punch with release of their rankings (front page of USAToday): Wake is at #32 in these rankings, which appears to combine all universities and doesn't break them down into national universities and national liberal arts universities the way USNews does. USNews announces their rankings list tomorrow.

I counted 12 colleges ahead of us that I believe fall on the USNew's liberal arts lists, translating to a #20 ranking among just national universities. Strong placement for us.

Duke is #3, UVA #48, Davidson #52, UNC #67.

In general the ranking methodology seems to have a liberal school bias (Vs USNews). UCLA is the highest ranked public (outside of the academies) at #47. Berkley, which I believe is typically the highest ranked public (in the teens) per USNews is #54.

I used to follow these rankings very closely (partly due to a former job in the education policy world), but I am completely over them. At one time they were well-intentioned and I think probably a useful guide to understanding school quality but the entire enterprise has become totally corrupted and ridiculous. It's mostly a contest to see which schools' administrations are the most clever in finding ways to manipulate the rankings.

Obviously our administration is not the most clever in finding ways to manipulate the rankings. :(

Yet somehow Cheater Hill is still ranked right on our "heels" at #30. See what I did there?! :eek:

With all the extra admin they've added over the years you'd think we'd be a bit more clever

ACC rankings:

Duke #8
ND #18
UVA #26
WF #27
UNC #30
BC #30
GT #36
Miami #51
Clemson #61
Syracuse #61
Pitt#66
VT#70
NC State #89
FSU #96
UL #168

Doesn't it seem like these rankings come out every other month or so???

I guess NCSU is happy that expansion over the years lifted them out of the ACC academic basement.

Can you imagine being ranked 80 spots BELOW NC State? Damn.

45th on the Forbes ROI list. I've never heard of 2 of the 3 notable alumni listed.

Back